You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: GnREvolution Grunge Madness - Discussion and Results Thread

Neemo wrote:

Use this thread for ongoin discussions

Downloadable Excel Spreadsheet

Current Elimination
Tier II Round 1

Previous Battles
Round 2
Nirvana - Come As You Are (5) vs. Temple of the Dog - Say Hello 2 Heaven (3)
Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike (5) vs. Alice in Chains - Man in the Box (3)
Mad Season - River of Deceit (6) vs. Stone Temple Pilots - Plush (3)
Pearl Jam - Daughter (4) vs. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (5)
Nirvana - Lithium (3) vs. Alice in Chains - No Excuses(5)
Pearl Jam - Jeremy (2) vs. Pearl Jam - Evenflow (6)
Nirvana - All Apologies (3) vs. Pearl Jam - Black (5)
Alice in Chains- Rooster (7) vs. Hole - Doll Parts (2)

Round 1
Alice in Chains - Man in the Box (6) vs. Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box (1)
Pearl Jam - Evenflow (7) vs. Bush - Everything Zen (0)
Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing (3) vs. Alice in Chains - No Excuses (7)
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (8) vs. Soundgarden - Spoonman (2)
Mother Love Bone - Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns (3) vs. Temple of the Dog - Say Hello 2 Heaven (5)
Stone Temple Pilots - Plush (4) vs. Alice in Chains - I Stay Away (3)
Soundgarden - Outshined (5) vs. Pearl Jam - Black (6)
Bush - Glycerine (0) vs. Hole - Doll Parts (7)
Soundgarden - Rusty Cage (4) vs. Nirvana - Come As You Are (5)
Pearl Jam - Alive (4) vs. Nirvana - Lithium (5)
Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike (4) vs. Alice in Chains - Would? (3)
Nirvana - All Apologies (4) vs. Soundgarden - Fell on Black Days (2)
Mad Season - River of Deceit (7) vs. Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun (2)
Pearl Jam - Jeremy (6) vs. Stone Temple Pilots - Dead and Bloated (3)
Pearl Jam - Daughter (6) vs. L7 '“ Pretend We'™re Dead (3)
Alice in Chains- Rooster (9) vs. Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You (0)

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Interesting that the only ONE non-Ten Pearl Jam song made it.

I kind of missed the boat on getting a list together, needs more Room A Thousand Years Wide & We Die Young

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

No offense but this is as predictable as a sunset. It's grunge's greatest hits with L7 and Screaming Trees thrown in. No Tad, Mudhoney, or Green River.

Cool that a chunk of Soundgarden is represented, but where in the fuck is Jesus Christ Pose and Hands All Over? Hands All Over and Big Dumb Sex were practically the birth of this scene.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. Again, i'm not wanting to slam those who did indeed vote. Seems to just be a hits set for the respective artists covered. Not really 'grunge' represented at it's best.

For example, I do understand that Soundgarden's most universally accepted songs are cuts like Black Hole Sun & Spoonman, and pretty much anything off of Superunknown. YET there are deeper cuts that are 'better songs' and 'better Grunge representers' on both Louder Than Love & Badmotorfinger, that are completely absent.

Alice In Chains... what the fuck is it with people and No Excuses? It's a good song, but the love affair for that song... I don't quite understand. Dirt is AIC's most popular album, yet more grungier songs are available on Facelift & Tripod. Where's We Die Young? Or Bleed The Freak? Or Love HATE LOVE? That's like the most aggressive, mean song ever to come out of that scene. Then there's stuff like Brush Away & God Am on Tripod.

Nirvana - shockingly SOLID. I'm stunned how accurate that came out. That is indeed their five best imo, with maybe replacing Heart Shaped Box with Pennyroyal Tea or Rape Me.

Pearl Jam - Ten is their grunge album.

and of course Stone Temple Pilots. I just want to say this. Stone Temple Pilots never was, never has been, and never will be on any planet, any galaxy, any universe a grunge band. Never ever ever. I have no clue why STP has been associated with grunge. I don't hear it, never have heard it. Purely alternative rock is STP imo. It'd be like calling GN'R a heavy metal band. I put STP is the same category with acts like Goo Goo Dolls.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I didn't see either of you guys vote.  You could've easily tipped the scales in your favor, as there weren't many people who participated.  You can only blame yourselves for what songs did or didn't make the list.

James

James wrote:

I was waiting for a clarification on whether we were doing songs or albums. I never got one, so I never posted a list.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

so do we wanna do this or not? i pretty much think it was a forgone conclusion that it would be pretty much be hits heavy...and thast the big 5 would dominate the list

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

You could re-open nominations for James and Axlin maybe.  Not sure if anyone else is interested.  Not sure how much work that would be for you though.

James

James wrote:

Just go ahead and start it. The SG tracks I mentioned wouldn't win and the other bands I listed would get a first round exit.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I missed mort of the grunge era and I only know most of the songs everybody knows.  I got a new car with a 6 disk changer in it - I don't think I listened to the radio for at least a 5 year period of the 90s and I know I didn't buy any grunge albums other than Ten and a couple STP.  I have more now, but at the time...I just missed the whole era.

Board footer