You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

James wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

As far as them being "more important than ever", they'll never be bigger than they were in 1994. They could release a new album that is their best yet and they still wouldn't reach those previous heights.

The musical landscape is just too different now.

I hear ya, it just seems that Soundgarden have one thing that no other "big band" in the world today has. As a band they have a 100% Integrity rating.

They never "sold out" like say Aerosmith or U2 or had a drastic lineup change since their heyday like GNR and now that they are back they are coming out on stage in front of the Badmotorfinger logo and playing songs like Get on the Snake and Gun, even with their comeback they haven't sold out to thh media and mainstream hype machine.

That's really unique and I think that could carry them all the way to a huge resurgence.

I'm not trying to derail your excitement. Hell, I'm excited too. We just got a new song, tour dates could get announced any day now, and they could be working on a new album as we speak or putting that box set together. This is the best time in 15 years to be a Soundgarden fan.

As far as this U2 thing goes, they never sold out. U2 was massive from the beginning, and everything since has been a natural progression. I don't like every thing they've done, but I definitely don't consider them sellouts.

They've played three shows, two of which didn't seem to excite the crowd.

Cmon bri, let's be fair now. A lot of Soundgarden fans did not get tickets to those shows which is why Cornell made that comment on stage. Soundgarden fans were fuming on the SG and Cornell sites for not being able to go because the tickets sold out so fast.

Its not like every hardcore fan in existence was in attendance and the crowd started yawning.

Maybe Axl should rub a little of his half empty arena curse on Cornell. That way us hardcores will have no trouble getting tickets.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Most people have moved past GNR and Soundgarden. That whole period really. What band from that time period is still big? U2 and Bon Jovi are about it.

uhm, Pearl Jam, Metallica, R.E.M, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, NIN, Alice In Chains, STP. Dream Theater, Iron Maiden to some extent.  All active in the same time frame as either u2 and/or soundgarden

How many of those bands are big? REM? No, they fizzled out. Crue. Not big. Leppard, not big. NIN, were big. Maiden, not big. AIC was gone for years. Dream Theater is only cult big.

The only bands even remotely big and STAYED big from that time to now are Metallica and PJ. And, really, you can make an argument PJ stopped being successful quite a while ago.

And since you brought up selling out. Tallica definitely did that.

None of those bands, including GNR, are interesting to the average rock fan nowadays. It's just a fact. Let's see how Soundgarden does. They've played three shows, two of which didn't seem to excite the crowd.

I think those bands stay relevant in a 'classic' sense to the average rock fan today.

GN'R, Metallica, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden... all are considered 'classic rock' by the current generation. Which is fine. Their most famous songs are all 20 +/- years old. The new band thing doesn't help. Old GN'R would pull down at least Metallica interest, but on the same level of, "oh, those guys used to be cool, it's nice to see them". AIC felt it last year, and I think SG is starting to get a taste of it.

Only rock band I know of right now that seems to strike gold on a rock, pop, and Top-40 level is Shinedown.

And to be completely honest, if Sound of Madness is the future... bring it on, i'm completely fine with that.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
bigbri wrote:

[
How many of those bands are big? REM? No, they fizzled out. Crue. Not big. Leppard, not big. NIN, were big. Maiden, not big. AIC was gone for years. Dream Theater is only cult big.

The only bands even remotely big and STAYED big from that time to now are Metallica and PJ. And, really, you can make an argument PJ stopped being successful quite a while ago.

And since you brought up selling out. Tallica definitely did that.

None of those bands, including GNR, are interesting to the average rock fan nowadays. It's just a fact. Let's see how Soundgarden does. They've played three shows, two of which didn't seem to excite the crowd.

In honesty I find it hard to gauge the success of any rock band at the moment because, where I live at least, rock music just isn't popular now. Back in maybe 2002? 2003? Rem were as big as u2 for a brief moment after that, It would take some thinking to come up with a band from that era still a success today.

And on top of all that if Soundgarden can't make an impression now. Rock (as a mainstream genre) is going to fall below the surface till a new young band brings a fresh approach. Maybe that's how it should be, but I personaly don't believe that a Rock band Needs to be young and new to make an impression, maybe in the past, but the scene is different now.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Doesn't have anything to do with Soundgarden either.

russtcb wrote:

This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with U2

Fuck it, let's do the off topic artist Evo trifecta.

M.I.A. XXXO video hot off the presses:

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I think that MIA song could be a hit. Liked it the first time I heard it. And she's looking hot too. Bonus.

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I think that MIA song could be a hit. Liked it the first time I heard it. And she's looking hot too. Bonus.

Don't know if you've heard the whole album yet, but its not very good and the two best songs have already been singles(Born Free and XXXO). This is XXXO's second release as a single, so obviously her label knows this is the only song with the potential to explode.

Space is a killer tune as well(awesome outro to the album as well), but she killed any buzz for it by leaking a crappy rip of it on youtube weeks before the album's release.

If you want the album, I'll send it to you in a PM. I have the import version with bonus tracks, and one of those songs is one of the best songs she's ever recorded. Stupid to only include it on the Euro/Jap import.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's just not gonna happen. Born Free is dead free, and XXXO has gone nowhere. I love how websites like Yahoo! call it "buzz" over M.I.A. Obviously fanboys writing the blogs, or thinking they are tapping into some "cool" factor or something. M.I.A. hasn't gotten any buzz since this thing began, despite having a video for Born Free that made George Romero blush.

That poor man's Lady GaGa-ized XXXO video ain't gonna do it.

Although I will say, I don't think she's EVER looked as smokin' as she does in this video.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Rock music is alive and well over here I think.

"Soundwave"  is one of the biggest music festivals held in Australia, it tours australia playing massive outdoor shows in each city.

While there's a cross section of attendees, there's a shit-ton of kids that go to these shows - like 16-25 year olds.

Some headliners: 
2009 - Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails.
2010 - Jane's Addiction, Faith no More
2011 - Iron Maiden, Queens of the Stone Age, Slash (and more)

I read a lot about how rock bands are irrelevant these days, but they're still doing massive numbers.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

Doesn't have anything to do with Soundgarden either.

russtcb wrote:

This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with U2

Fuck it, let's do the off topic artist Evo trifecta.

M.I.A. XXXO video hot off the presses:

she is still hot, but that tune isn't in the same stratosphere as her old stuff.

Board footer