You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Slash added Welcome to the Jungle to the setlist!

Axlin16 wrote:

See jamester, you just answered my statement with actual examples. Other than Oasis and Blind Melon (VR don't count), none of those artists have future HOF cred, at least not yet. Shocking, I know. How many records did Hybrid Theory sell? How many records did Sound of Madness sell? How many will Shinedown's next album sell?

These are obviously artists people like, but for whatever reason the HOF think they are "above" them. Like somehow they're more cultured. That's the reason they shut out KISS. Believing that KISS are not "artists". Yet KISS has just as many well known classic... legendary rock songs as The fuckin' Beatles. But do they get any respect? No... and I guess it's because they spent the 70's spitting fire, and the 80's dressing in pink and emergency neon-yellow and getting laid every nanosecond. That's rock n' fuckin' roll to me. Total embodiment infact.

All of these reasons are the exact reason The Sex Pistols told them to take their induction, wipe their ass with it, then eat it. 9

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Buckcherry is such a GNR rip off (but I still like them)... Early 90's Brother Cane had a lot of GNR influence.  AX7 is GNR and Maiden influenced for sure.  Silvertide, big GNR influence...

Forgot about Brother Cane, but come on they were a blip on the radar.

Always respected them though. 70's Southern Rock blues mixed with Grunge was pretty unique on the scene back in the mid-90's. Should've been bigger, but other than Fools Shine On, they just never had that consecutive hit thing like an Alice In Chains which just pumped them out like a machine, kept their street cred, yet were totally radio-made.

Now AIC, that's an artist that influenced people. Just about every rock vocalist today rips off Layne.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yet KISS has just as many well known classic... legendary rock songs as The fuckin' Beatles.

Not even close.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

There are FAR more KISS songs on the radio than The Beatles.

Granted I wasn't alive in the 60's, so I don't know when they were red hot and even their fuckin' Z-sides got played in a loop.

You don't have to like KISS, but just about all of that 70's catalog is massively popular and have influenced it's own generation. The only difference is KISS is primarily influence lies strictly in the rock world, while The Beatles were just musicians and influenced anyone who recorded anything in any genre. Obviously Lennon was one of the Top-3 music artists that ever lived in the modern age.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Granted I wasn't alive in the 60's, so I don't know when they were red hot and even their fuckin' Z-sides got played in a loop.

You don't have to like KISS, but just about all of that 70's catalog is massively popular and have influenced it's own generation. The only difference is KISS is primarily influence lies strictly in the rock world, while The Beatles were just musicians and influenced anyone who recorded anything in any genre. Obviously Lennon was one of the Top-3 music artists that ever lived in the modern age.

Name the songs. I rarely hear Kiss on the radio. The main song I hear is "I Wanna Rock N' Roll All Night." I can name a handful of their songs off the top of my head but I can name 30+ of the Beatles just from my parents making me listen to oldies stations when I was a kid. The Beatles are like Elvis and the Stones. Nobody in the rock world comes close to those three in terms of popular songs.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yet KISS has just as many well known classic... legendary rock songs as The fuckin' Beatles.

Not even close.

Axlin08 wrote:

If the dope's that good in Florida, I may have to fly down there so you can hook a brotha up.....

While I do not listen to radio anymore, in all previous decades(and even a few years ago), on a national level your statement would be wrong.

With KISS, people only care about a handful of songs, and casual audiences only care about one(Rock N Roll All Night). Since I was in first grade, the only KISS song being played on radio in any given year was the single being pushed(Tears Are Falling, Lick It Up,etc.). They always fell off the radar quickly. In fact, back in 85(or was it 86?) when Tears Are Falling was a hit, I bought the tape because radio had stopped playing the song! One of my favorite songs of theirs.

Hell when I was six, I think I was the only person on the planet listening to Unmasked. 14 Sure wasn't getting any radio play.

The Beatles are just untouchable and have always been on radio. I fucking hated The Beatles when I was a kid and this lasted into adulthood. Earlier this decade I decided to dive into the discography and quickly started to appreciate their material. Still don't like their early stuff(I Wanna Hold Your Hand,etc.) but those albums towards the end of their career have some killer tunes.

Radio wise, Come Together has been played more times than probably every single Kiss tune combined and that's not even their biggest hit.

Having said that, your opinion cant really be discredited. It can easily boil down to a regional thing. Using Kiss as an example, they probably get more radio play in Detroit than they do Seattle. Another example, while I do not live in Chicago, I remember how Anthrax were always bigger in that area than anywhere else. Would even do multiple shows there and sometimes start the tours there.

So while KISS may get more radio spins than The Beatles in Florida, Detroit, or somewhere else, that's definitely not the case everywhere else.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The dope is good... I guess. 14

I've listened to rock radio almost my whole life. It's what engrained my psyche to be wrapped around rock music. And it didn't come from my parents. Neither liked rock, and my father downright hated it. They were country fans, but respectfully country in their day was great music, and the rock exceptions were the obvious ones, like Elvis, The Beatles, Skynyrd, Creedence and The Eagles.

So that Beatles influence is there. But i'm telling you I just did not hear The Beatles beat into the ground growing up on the radio, and I listened to it alot. I don't know if it was the DJ's where I was growing up were more Zeppelin and Jimi fans, because those guys were played in a perpetual loop. After that the Stones, Floyd, Queen, Cream, the Animals, The Yardbirds, The Doors and yes, KISS were the biggest ones. But NEVER The Beatles, believe it or not. I heard member-solo songs MORE than actual band songs. Songs like Imagine and Band On The Run were played far more than The Beatles back catalog. Sure, they played Beatles tunes, but never on the level of KISS or The Doors or Floyd.

So I guess it influenced my way of thinking. I knew The Beatles were THE legends that all rock bands followed afterwards, including KISS. But I just heard more KISS. It probably didn't help that my cousin and uncle were both KISS Army, so it was right there in your face. I assumed KISS, despite being commercial and the old argument of a Zeppelin fan would kick a KISS fan's ass, was still immensley popular and legendary.

KISS songs played in a perpetual loop on the radio for 20 years of my damn life whether I liked it or not:

Strutter
Nothin' To Lose
Firehouse
Deuce
100,000 Years
Black Diamond
Got To Choose
Goin' Blind
Hotter Than Hell
Comin' Home
Rock Bottom
C'mon and Love Me
Rock and Roll All Nite [live]
Detroit Rock City
God of Thunder
Shout It Out Loud
Beth
Do You Love Me?
Calling Dr. Love
Hard Luck Woman
Christeen Sixteen
Love Gun
Plaster Caster
I Was Made For Lovin' You
Sure Know Something
Shandi
Tomorrow
Creatures of the Night
I Love It Loud
Lick It Up
All Hell's Breakin' Loose
Heaven's On Fire
Thrills In The Night
Who Wants To Be Lonely
Tears Are Falling
Uh! All Night
Crazy Crazy Nights
Reason To Live
You Make Me Rock Hard
Let's Put The X In Sex
Rise To It
Hide Your Heart
Forever
Unholy
God Gave Rock n' Roll To You II
Domino
I Just Wanna
----------------------

That's it, nothing past Revenge. I wasn't even a KISS fan, and I guarantee you a various 10-12 of those select songs would be alternated once a week for 20 damn years, maybe longer for some of the other stuff. Keep in mind those were the chronically recurring ones, some of the real B-sides made an appearence also.

Just my experience. I had to 'go out and discover' The Beatles. Radio didn't help me do it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Sounds like a Classic Rock or Hard Rock station. Here in Texas, the stations I've come across tend to play a bit of the Beatles on Classic Rock but it's mainly on the oldies stations. One other thing I've noticed over the years is that a lot of the Oldies stations are now playing what I consider Classic Rock. When you hear Lynyrd Skynyrd on an oldies station, you know something's up. I guess they figure all the people who loved true oldies (ie stuff from the 50's and early 60's) have all died off at this point. Baby boomers are now their audience, so now we get Classic Rock being part of the oldies stations. And somewhere along the way GN'R has started receiving airplay on the Classic Rock stations. Guess it's just a function of time. I shutter to think of what will be considered "classic rock" 20 years from now. What a shitty era for music we're currently stuck in. Thanks Kurt.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I've never heard of 3/4 of those KISS songs.  Granted, I'm not a fan, but I probably should have at least heard of them.  The Beatles own just about anybody you want to compare them to objectively.

Buzzer Beater
 Rep: 3 

In response to the discussion about who GNR influenced, part of the lack of recognition is the "grunge mentality" of trying to act punk and not give too much credit to influences.  GNR was a huge influence on grunge.  They were the bridge between 80's pop metal and grunge.  In Kim Neeley's book on Pearl Jam, "5 against 1," she states that Eddie, Cornell, Staley all practically worshipped Axl when GNR first came out.  He was a guy who was singing/writing/behaving like they wanted to see a front man.  Really there's a lot of comparisons between Axl and the Seattle frontmen.  I don't know if because grunge was supposed to be "alternative" and GNR was the biggest band at the time, or Axl's spat with Cobain, but when they eventually got popular none of those guys were going to cite Axl as an influence.

Board footer