You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

DCK wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Good to see the old and new guys getting along. I'd like to see more of this type of thing and less of the war.

If we were to follow the general fan opinion...would it even be allowed?? 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

There's alot of people at HTGTH that would lose their entire identity as a fan if a reunion were to ever happen.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Aussie wrote:

However, Axl says all this shit went down at the time the renegotiation with Geffen happened.  Niven has said in interviews that the reason they got David Geffen to renegotiate was the fact that they threatened to tour and not give the record company the Illusion albums if he didn't renegotiate.  They figured they could make enough money just off the tour alone even with no new album (sounds like the Chi Dem tours for years).

That puts a totally different spin on that wait for UYI. That dragged out forever and other than drug use/general band dysfunction, never made much sense.

To newer fans it may seem like Lies just melds into UYI, but I assure you that three year wait felt like twenty. Maybe it was youth and how the passage of time feels slower, but in 1991 I was at the point where I would have murdered a school bus full of children just for a one in a thousand shot of hearing those albums.

Niven's statement is of course right on the money. They hit the road with no album but they were so popular that it didn't matter. All venues sold out in minutes regardless of size. If memory serves me correctly, Axl's infamous(at the time) "Auschwitz rant" was directed at Geffen. Axl was basically using the stage as a bargaining tool.

UYI should have been wrapped up in late 89/early 90. It wasn't. Even if you bring Sorum into the equation, at the most the delay should have been a few months. I remember an article in 1990 in one of the rock mags at the time featuring a Sorum interview where he states he had already laid down all the drum tracks and that the songs were amazing.

UYI was a cunt hair away from turning into Chinese Democracy. The fact the band was so popular at the time was probably its only savior.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Slash chimes in some...

SLASH Talks About DUFF MCKAGAN's Jam With GUNS N' ROSES, Possibility Of Classic Lineup Reunion - Oct. 30, 2010

Legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES) was the featured guest on last night's (Friday, October 29) edition of Eddie Trunk's "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM. A couple of excerpts from the interview follow below (transcribed and edited for clarity by BLABBERMOUTH.NET):

On AEROSMITH's Steven Tyler signing on as a judge on "American Idol"

Slash: "It's really sort of disappointing to me that he's gone and done that, for whatever reason — a lot of it having to do with [that fact that] I just know the guy and the other guys in the band are bummed out and they've had a really rocky road for awhile. And then just because 'American Idol' is what it is, so it's hard for me to put the thing together."

On Duff McKagan joining GUNS N' ROSES on stage on October 14 at London, England's O2 arena:

Slash: "It was cool. I got an e-mail from Duff going, 'I'm checked into a hotel and Axl [Rose, GUNS N' ROSES singer] is in the room next to me.' And that's how it all started. And he just sort of kept me posted through the day and at one point he said he was going down to the venue with Axl. And I was, like, 'Wow!' 'Cause a lot of years have gone by. And so then the next one was that he was gonna be going on stage or something. And so he went and they did, like, I think it was five or six songs. So it was cool. And then the next day he told me it was great, everything was very cool, they went out and had dinner, and so they had that sort of, whatever, rekindling kind of thing. All things considered, the only thing I said about it was that... 'cause I know that they still ended up going on an hour late. And I was, like, 'Oooh.' That's the only part that would have left a bad taste in my mouth, supporting that."

On why he (Slash) seems to be the only member of the classic GUNS N' ROSES lineup that Axl is not "cool" with:

Slash: "I think there's some deep-seeded stuff there. And it really can only come down to what was going on at the time when I finally said, 'I've gotta go.' And I think there was a certain sense of abandonment there. So it probably stems from that. And then even though I try to keep a politically correct tongue in this situation, I have at times really spoken my mind about the situation, especially when VELVET REVOLVER's first record came out, I was inundated with all this press and that was all that they wanted to ask about, and my first gut reaction was venting. So there was a lot of negativity that was sort of expressed then and has since been perpetuated by the media on a regular basis. So there's a certain kind of tension that just hangs in there."

On whether he would ever consider taking part in a reunion of the classic GUNS N' ROSES lineup:

Slash: "It's been a long time. So, all things considered, if he [Axl] really decided he wanted to do it and the other guys all wanted to do it... I mean, I know everybody's around, but there has been no conversation, like, 'Let's get the band back together.' If everybody wanted to do it and it was very clear amongst us, which means we would have to clean up some personal stuff, which we haven't even begun that. So then the biggest and most important part of it was... 'cause it seems like it would be a lot of fun to do, just go back out there, and it seems like a relatively simple idea and there's a ton of fans out there that would love to see it. It'd be cool. But we'd have to do things way differently than we did in '91, '92, '93 and whatever... And I don't think that's changeable. That whole production would have to tighten up and be like a real working band, and I don't think that's salvageable."

- http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=148573

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

There's alot of people at HTGTH that would lose their entire identity as a fan if a reunion were to ever happen.

Starting with the Führer himself. 16

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

They'd act like all the stuff has never happened. They worshipped BH and Finck to death, and when the official North Korean propaganda machine took a spin, they suddenly started to hate them, but discovered the greatness of Bumble and Ashba.
These people have no personality, yet all of them suffers of serious mental illness. Their ony identity is being an Axl Rose fan. They are happier with every slam they get from Axl, cause they can show how huge Axl fans they are, no matter what happens.
Except the Führer, who is doing it for the money and the other extras. He'll say, if a reunion happens, that his only problem with Slash was the 'lies', but now that Axl N' Slash sorted things out, it's all cool for him. He'll be the first to ban 'non-fans' who'll dare to say that the 2010 line-up was better than the reunited.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

They'd act like all the stuff has never happened. They worshipped BH and Finck to death, and when the official North Korean propaganda machine took a spin, they suddenly started to hate them, but discovered the greatness of Bumble and Ashba.
These people have no personality, yet all of them suffers of serious mental illness. Their ony identity is being an Axl Rose fan. They are happier with every slam they get from Axl, cause they can show how huge Axl fans they are, no matter what happens.
Except the Führer, who is doing it for the money and the other extras. He'll say, if a reunion happens, that his only problem with Slash was the 'lies', but now that Axl N' Slash sorted things out, it's all cool for him. He'll be the first to ban 'non-fans' who'll dare to say that the 2010 line-up was better than the reunited.

A reunion would be worth it just to showcase what a bunch of sheep the people are at htgth starting with their ring leader. It would be so comical and so sad and pathetic all at once.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

^
haha one of the major reasons I stick around just so i can say "Told u so"

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

My only identity is as a Buckethead fan. What the fuck am I doing?

mav
 Rep: 0 

mav wrote:
bigbri wrote:

My only identity is as a Buckethead fan. What the fuck am I doing?

Indeed. My biggest gnr disappointment of this decade was Buckethead leaving. And I lament that each and every time I listen to TWAT!

bucket

Board footer