You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Axl Rose playing drums with Matt!

jamester wrote:

Thought I would share.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Also he's at soundcheck it seems!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Axl thought Matt was the greatest drummer in the world back in 1991. Heard him say it with my own ears in Mountain View. Matt also got tons of applause.

Its only revisionist history where Matt sucks and ruined UYI.

This is the Bucket/Brain nutswinger in me, but it would have been VERY interesting if during that period where Izzy bailed if he had heard that Praxis record months later and decided he wanted Bucket to come in for the Izzy/Gilby role and then decided to bring Brain in as well.

Its obviously a pipe dream fit for an alternate universe but since the two wound up in GNR eight years later anyways, makes you wonder the impact they would have had on the band while they were still on top of the world. For the record, I don't think Slash and Bucket would have worked well together in a studio setting. Slash is awesome but I think he would have been intimidated by it. He had issues with Zakk jamming in GNR a few years later, and Bucket is light years ahead of Zakk. Only way it would have worked is if Bucket accepted a rhythm only role in the band.

We might have got a real album in 93/94 though but probably not. That massive UYI tour wore them all out regardless of who was or could have been in the line up at the time.

Having said all that, can you imagine the media attention in 92 GNR would have got by bringing in two members of Praxis? Praxis were not famous but Animal Behavior was in MTV rotation on 120 Minutes.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Definitely a pipe dream, but I could not even imagine that merger in my head. Slash & Bucket in GN'R in 1992... 18

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

That footage is from the Making of Estranged video.
Cool to see Axl smiling a big cheesy grin at getting some simple enjoyment from something like that.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm absolutely unsure if BH is 'light years ahead' of Zakk. I'm a bit tired of reading the 'BH is the best guitarist of all time, noone can come even close to him' mantra. For you, maybe, but for others he's not a superhero. He releases boring albums 5 times a year and that's it. Zakk can play just as fas as BH, with much more brain. My two cents, anyway.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Buckethead can play anything Zakk can play. Zakk can't play everything Bucket can. And that's not really debatable. One's a virtuoso, the others an incredibly solid lead player.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

I agree on the light years statement from Mikka. Both are good but its like apples and oranges you can enjoy both. You can prefer one. You can also compare them but its pointless.

Cool to see Ax playin around in the vid.  GnR in early 90's already had plenty of buzz!  bucket plus slash would have been fun but a bigger train wreck I think.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Bottom line to me is it doesn't make sense when you have either Slash or Bucket in the band to have the other, and not because anyone needs to be intimidated by another, but simply because they're both such unique players that it's a crime to send either of them to rhythm duties.

Slash is that guy where you can hear him on any other persons song, and you hear his touch immediately. People can mock that he's blues baised all they want, but NO ONE sounds like him, he may come from a long line of forefathers but he definately brings something unique.

Then there's bucket, who, well, he's just astounding whenever he plays, does things that don't seem possible to normal people.

They're both amazing, but you can't put them together, it would be like trying to enjoy the high you get from a run, while trying to enjoy the relaxation you get from a massage. They just cancel each other out.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I didn't even know that Praxis record came out in 1992. Sounds like it was made yesterday. It's timeless because it's so unique.

Board footer