You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Thief - Yeah this was worthy of the hype. This is probably Caan's second best role...in between Godfather and Misery.

Only criticism is the end felt a tad rushed and I think their final showdown should've been more dramatic.

Love the look of the film. While technically 1981,  it feels like the 1970s.

Mann's prequel/sequel to Heat is coming soon. It's too bad that he's so old....same with all the Heat actors. A film instead of a book would be amazing.

From the little I read about it, sounds like some of it is set in 1988.

When the deep fake technology is perfected and Hollywood is using it to resurrect dead stars or bring them back to their prime, this book would be second on my list to tackle (Unforgiven prequel being number 1).

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Ever since I saw Iron Man 2 I decided I wouldn't pay attention to the super hero genre anymore, with a few exceptions. Then the other day I got tired of watching the same old shit so I decided to pop in the Avengers. Big movie, I remember it broke records when it came out but I never saw it.

Now I watched Batman vs. Superman and I didn't think it was very good. I saw Winter Soldier and thought that wasn't half bad.

This movie I managed 25 minutes before I had to turn it off. I was so bored the whole time. So unimpressed with everything. It made me re evaluate Justice League, which is still crap but infinitely more talent went into it than this Avengers thing. I was going to watch the sequel but that is definitely not happening now. Why did this make a billion? I don't get it.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

polluxlm wrote:

Ever since I saw Iron Man 2 I decided I wouldn't pay attention to the super hero genre anymore, with a few exceptions. Then the other day I got tired of watching the same old shit so I decided to pop in the Avengers. Big movie, I remember it broke records when it came out but I never saw it.

Now I watched Batman vs. Superman and I didn't think it was very good. I saw Winter Soldier and thought that wasn't half bad.

This movie I managed 25 minutes before I had to turn it off. I was so bored the whole time. So unimpressed with everything. It made me re evaluate Justice League, which is still crap but infinitely more talent went into it than this Avengers thing. I was going to watch the sequel but that is definitely not happening now. Why did this make a billion? I don't get it.

Did you watch the Snyder version of Batman V Superman and Justice League?  I think I've said it before, but the director's cut of Batman V Superman is the best superhero movie ever made in my opinion, and I LOVED Infinity War and End Game. 

I've been staying current on all of Marvel's shit save this last Ms Marvel show on Disney +, and I have to say I'm over it.  I was entertained by Thor, but that was largely because I'm a GN'R fanboy.  Dr Strange was horrific and Sony has made sure none of their spider-man films ever really advance the plot or story. 

Here's hoping Better Call Saul doesn't fuck up it's last 3 episodes.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Yes I did watch the Snyder cut. I liked 300 and Watchmen so I always check out his movies.

I thought Ben Affleck was great in it. The best Batman since Keaton. I loved everything he did in that movie. The story idea was not bad, could have been good. What ruined it was:

Eisenberg, can't stand him.
Henry Cavill, he's a bad actor.
The action was bad.
Visuals were ugly and too dark.

If this movie had the qualities of Watchmen it could have been a very good movie. Not better than Returns though, Snyder just isn't in that league of directing.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Thief - Yeah this was worthy of the hype. This is probably Caan's second best role...in between Godfather and Misery.

Only criticism is the end felt a tad rushed and I think their final showdown should've been more dramatic.

Love the look of the film. While technically 1981,  it feels like the 1970s.

Mann's prequel/sequel to Heat is coming soon. It's too bad that he's so old....same with all the Heat actors. A film instead of a book would be amazing.

From the little I read about it, sounds like some of it is set in 1988.

I think the ending is fine.  I love the slo mo scenes of him blowing away the goons at the end, especially the Dennis Farina part.  It's weird how Frank and the Neil character in Heat have the same flaw.  They want to live and function normally in society but what they don't realize is that it's not possible for them (you can probably toss in the Cruise character from Collateral as well).  They are fated to live in the shadows or whatnot.  Frank realizes this at the end and survives to live another day.

I'm looking forward to the book and a deeper look at the characters, especially the Chris one.  A sequel/prequel should have been done in the late 90s, early 2000s.  It's too late now.

polluxlm wrote:

Why did this make a billion? I don't get it.

Marketing mostly.  You had the crowd/fanbase from Iron Man and there were a lot of tie ins (toys, clothing, etc) that brought people to see that film.  I'd write more about this but it would seem like complaining about 2010's lack of creativity in film making.

You mention Watchmen.  At least that one was creative and tried something different with the genre.

James

James wrote:

1408 - I had no idea until yesterday that I had never watched this. I had always mixed it up with the movie Identity....both set in a hotel and both starring Cusack.

Great job at setting up the story....but basically runs in neutral. This type of film just doesn't do much for me anymore... especially the new(er) stuff. Just not very thrilling anymore.

If not a slasher or something a bit over the top and you know that going in, I prefer realism in horror.

The Omen - Hadn't watched this since my youth. Brought back memories of all nighters as a kid watching scary movies on HBO/Showtime. That hanging scene really creeped me out back then...and the decapitation scene was off the hook as well.

It holds up pretty good but I never realized until now how few scenes there are with Damien and how little he actually says throughout the film. The bulk of the film revolves around both Peck and Warner.

I might watch its sequel tonight. They're on Tubi and leaving the platform in a few days.

Same with....

The Matrix - I never really got into this story and I was more into whichever Matrix videogame was out in the early 2000s.

I decided to give it another chance....

I was impressed. This film is definitely ahead of its time. I'm surprised it wasn't nominated for more Oscars. The cinematography is insane...hell you could show this movie to someone who knows nothing about movies and they wouldn't be able to tell you which decade it comes from.

While watching this, I immediately zeroed in on the casting. Carrie Anne Moss?!? How?  Why?

I thought...why isn't Sandra Bullock, Gwyneth Paltrow, Mira Sorvino, or Jennifer Love Hewitt in this film? Or even Julia Roberts.

I laughed when I looked it up afterwards and saw Bullock was offered the role but declined. Hell...even Janet Jackson turned it down!!

Moss is really lucky. It just begs for one of the late 90s A listers to be involved.

Cate Blanchett could've killed in this...I thought of her during that opening action sequence.

Crazy how young Keanu looked in this. He looks younger than he did in Speed.

I might try out the next film in the series. I'm pretty sure its videogame is the one we were into at the time.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It’s a shame Val Kilmer can’t reprise Chris in HEAT, at least not in any meaningful way. I also think Frank (Thief) and Neil could have been the same person.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

It’s a shame Val Kilmer can’t reprise Chris in HEAT, at least not in any meaningful way. I also think Frank (Thief) and Neil could have been the same person.

Of all the late 80s/early 90s guys who have aged, Kilmer hurts the most because I am a big fan of his work. 

Yeah, Frank and Neil are pretty close.  I think they only differ maybe in temperament.  Frank has got that East coast tough guy thing (remember the scene where he goes off on that social worker on the adoption) and Neil is a little more laid back, although he is capable of turning into a wolf pretty quickly.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Val was my favorite actor growing up and he is still in that category. I can watch that movie "Alexander" almost just for him. That guy could do anything. I'd struggle to name any actors today who could do similar. Somebody like Bale would be the closest thing.

Fate has been very unkind to him, though to be fair he brought a lot of it on himself.

James

James wrote:

The Conversation - Holy shit...look up slow burn in the dictionary and this film is there.

This is the film Hackman deserved an Oscar for...not French Connection. He plays a really quirky character here... verging on autistic.

I was gonna say it deserved the Best Picture Oscar...but looked it up afterwards and The Godfather II beat it. Good call.

The slow pace is effective here... leading to the revelation of what the conversation is really about.

Like Network, this has to be squeezed into my best 70s movie list.

The Killing Fields - Hadn't watched this in about 20-25 years. It drops a few notches in my book. It doesn't do a good job properly conveying the insanity of the Khmer Rouge. I read a couple books on this years ago and it was much worse than shown here.

The Matrix Reloaded - Couldn't finish it. I can't believe it took em 4 years to come up with this. They turned Neo into Superman with his upgrades, the love story with Moss unnecessary, and Morpheus has superiors now? A grand figure in the first film is now a cog in the machine.

Seeing Jada Pinkett was a turnoff and instantly brought it down. I started losing interest on that alone.

Damien: The Omen II - Meh. Didn't like it nearly as much as in my youth. Essentially a retread and it needed a more menacing looking teen actor to play Damien. He's the smallest kid at that school. It's laughable when he's marching next to them.

I'm just gonna skip the final film in the trilogy as I didn't even like it back in the day.

Board footer