You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Significant Other - Finally got around to watching this...it's the other Maika Monroe horror film from last year...the other being Watcher, which was amazing.

It sucked. Started out with potential... going on a camping trip with her boyfriend... beautiful area...and then completely shit the bed when you find out her boyfriend is an alien of some sort. I turned it off with like 20 minutes left. Don't care how it ends.

I need to watch more of her movies. I really like her now.

I watched a couple City Confidential episodes before going to bed...

Terror In The Suburbs - Barrington, Rhode Island

This is one fucked up case. Happened in 1991. Had true crime been popular back then, this case would've been talked about everywhere. He should've been executed...especially for killing the young girl. Just awful.

Highway To Hell - Honesdale, Pennsylvania

I remember hearing about this case years ago. Homecoming queen gets in car with drunk boyfriend, car crashes, homecoming queen dies. Her brother winds up murdering her boyfriend before he can even go to jail. Tore up the town. I would've taken his side. Back then drunk drivers got a slap on the wrist...and he ruined that family. I'm surprised this type of thing doesn't happen more often.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Count of Monte Cristo (1998)

Probably reviewed this before. Still the best Monte Cristo, Depardieu is immense.

Love the period. 19th century Europe is peak civilization. And the French language is so beautiful. It looks like a mess when you're writing it, but speaking it is just marvelous. They are to spoken language what the German is to the written.

For all its professionalism, American cinema has always been lacking in art.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This is surreal...

Andy of Mayberry?!?

I had never seen that before.

They did a lot of weird shit during syndication in the 60s.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Megan — really surprised with how much I liked this. This is right next to the original Child’s Play.

The Covenant — if John Ford were alive and made a film about Afghanistan this would be it. I liked it

Nobody— the guy who wrote John Wick did this about a retired secret agent who’s brought back into the life. It’s pretty hilarious, and I’m glad they didn’t do the “he suddenly annihilates all his foes” but gets his ass kicked because it’s been so long since he’s been living a normal life

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Stigmata (1999).  This one isn't bad at all.  It got panned when it came out.  It's a time capsule of the 90s (to me that was a positive).  It's not a super scary/moments one.  More philosophical in nature about the belief in god.  This was set and filmed in Pittsburgh.  I thought it was New York for a while.  The ending is sort of interesting, but I'm not sure it works that well for me.

Heat (1995).  I've watched this waaaay too many times in the past year.  I'm not sure how this crept up on me and became one of my all time faves.  I remember I used to watch it for the famous shootout.  Now, I see greatness in most scenes/characters.  I end up feeling for Eady at the end because she got betrayed more than once by Neil.  And you notice the acting.  Watch DeNiro near the end, especially when he's driving and makes a key decision.  You can see the doubt in his mind.  I now appreciate the Pacino (high on coke) rendtiion of Vincent Hanna.  He kind of reveals why in one of the scenes with the wife where he says he channels that energy (for the hunt).  There's also the entire brotherhood/loyalty/family/ ethos that permeates this film.  The Jon Voight character is practically Neil's father.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Heat is fantastic. Surely Michael Mann's best work.

I've been thinking, why do we like criminals? It's not the crime, I don't get the urge to go out and steal or kill after watching the movie, but there is an aspect of the lifestyle that is appealing. I don't want them to be caught. These guys are free, independent. They do what they want, the law be damned. And this movie does it with style. No apologies.

The cast is simply legendary. Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore, Amy Brenneman, Danny Trejo, Ashley Judd, Diane Verona, Wes Studi, Mykelti Williamson, Ted Levine, William Fichtner, Jon Voight, Tom Noonan, Kevin Gage, Jeremy Piven, Dennis Haysbert, Natalie Portman. They even managed to sneak John Connor's foster father in there.

While I do not get the urge to steal and kill, I am tempted to get an old Buick and sit under a bridge at 2AM, looking over my shoulder and talking about it being "worth the stretch".

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

So I am going to count this as in at the movie Theatre.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

Is the last movie I saw.

I knew it wasn't going to be the best. But, seeing it in theatre was important for me.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Did you like it? I liked the fourth, but I'm probably not watching this.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

polluxlm wrote:

Did you like it? I liked the fourth, but I'm probably not watching this.

I did and I didn't.

It had its moments.

The Fleabag aristocrat lady was annoying.

Other than that it was better than Crystal Skull.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Sleuth (1972)

A good movie, not a great one. It has that unique "late 60s feel meets the early 70s". Great acting of course from Olivier and Caine. A bit too theatrical at times and the ending is not as good as it could have been. Good for a time travel.

Board footer