You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Hearing a lot of walk outs during Flowers of the Killer Moon and now I really want to see it

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

Hearing a lot of walk outs during Flowers of the Killer Moon and now I really want to see it

I saw it today and was waiting for a scene someone would walk out over. Never really manifested. Fantastic film with fantastic acting.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Eric Roth. No shortage of blood I expect.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Watched a couple movies last night....

Till - About the murder of Emmett Till. Really well done. My only complaint is the scene where they show his mutilated body should've been more graphic. The reason his mom wanted him photographed for the world to see is how horrifying the crime really was. They also don't actually show his murder. Any of it. You just briefly hear a scream. A cop out.

Knock At the Cabin - An M. Knight Shlnsnsnswiso movie. I really liked it. The problem with this guy is you're always expecting some bullshit twist. It really impacts your viewing experience.

I guess it does have a twist...sorta...but not over the top. The end wasn't all that satisfactory but he really builds up the tension on the way there.

wagszilla
 Rep: 3 

wagszilla wrote:

The Killer - Very entertaining. Movie about film making. Not very deep.
Killers of the Flower Moon - The real movie is all subtext. Main text beats you over the head.

polluxlm wrote:

Eric Roth. No shortage of blood I expect.

You're thinking of Eli Roth. 16

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
wagszilla wrote:

The Killer - Very entertaining. Movie about film making. Not very deep.
Killers of the Flower Moon - The real movie is all subtext. Main text beats you over the head.

Killer=the Fincher one w/Fassbender.  I'm looking forward to that.

On Killers of the Flower Moon, is it worth sitting through?  I still haven't finished the Irishman and the runtime scared me off.

Seen a few :

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:  weird, almost psychadelic trip.  There's a lot of stuff that people may not get.  It's basically a critique about the American Dream or just a darker look at "flower power".  I need to watch this again.

Shaft (1971 orignal) RIP Richard Roundtree.  I've seen this like once or twice.  Always liked the sequel.  But I get why this is so infleuntial.  This is the first (or most mainstream) "blaxplotation" films.  It goes over the difference in social conditions (subtely) between black america and white america at the time.  Ok, it's not THAT deep but that's what I got from it this viewing.  The plot is almost lifted from one of those 40s-50s film noirs. But what makes it work is this: shots of NYC in the early 70s and Roundtree is just a cool cat as Shaft.  Oh great score by Issac Hayes as well.

Sleepy Hollow; Interesting and fun film with Johnny Depp in his prime and playing another eccentric character.  This thing oozes gothic mystery, spookiness and anything else that'll get you into the Halloween mood.  The violence earned the R rating.  This was definitely not a kids film.  I'm not sure this is a classic though.  The end is sort of a clusterfuck or things that happen too fast.  And I hate to point out this next part but having Christina Ricci play Depp's love interest has an ick factor since she looks pretty young in the film.  They should have cast someone older.

Oh I did like the contrast between the Ricci' character's spirtual(maybe pagan side) against Depp's reasoned, scientific based character.

wagszilla
 Rep: 3 

wagszilla wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

On Killers of the Flower Moon, is it worth sitting through?  I still haven't finished the Irishman and the runtime scared me off.

My answer is probably "no". I will watch it again as a filmmaking nerd but I thought that the second half did a disservice to the emotion that they were trying to get across. The first half is very engaging and well done but it falls off hard for me and I really, really didn't like the ending. If the overall intent was "dealing with the sordid past" then something more proximal to the entire history should have been presented.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Watching “Smile” and my suspension of disbelief can only go so far…

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Deadwood.

Still one of the best shows ever created. Ian McShane is on the level of James Gandolfini here. A true masterclass. Dialogue is of course out of this world, nothing like it.

I do not believe Milch really wrote the Deadwood movie. The drop in quality is massive.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Watching “Smile” and my suspension of disbelief can only go so far…

Yeah that was a HUGE disappointment.

It starts out with a bang. It feels like you're in for a real treat. I love the scene at the birthday party when the present is being opened. Creepy with loads of tension. It needed more of that. Instead it went down the tubes shortly after.

Board footer