You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Staff cuts hit Geffen. Interscope

Abbey_Road wrote:

Saw this at another site:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/boar … ic=50135.0

According to Billboard:

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_disp … 8999fc45b2

With the huge magnitude of Chinese Democracy around the corner, how possibly could the record company give this album the proper attention that it deserves, if it's on the verge of being dismantled? 

I just wish people would stop blaming Axl just because the album didn't get released this year.  This is clearly not his fault. 

Baz is not a liar, he's always been straight forward with his remarks.  If he said "Axl really wanted the album out this year", then we have to believe him. There's no reason not to. 

I hope things get all straighten out and next year we'll see the release of CD!

cybercurves

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Abbey_Road wrote:

madagas or Jameslofton or anyone explain to us what this means and why are people saying this will affect the promotion of CD?

AtariLegend wrote:

Geffen is not clossing and besides even if they did have a problem, Interscope can more than handle anything/everything else.

Not good news for Geffen though.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This is going to fuck with artists. No question. As I've mentioned before, M.I.A. has pretty much said her music career is over. Forever? Maybe, but she could just be letting fans know not to expect anything from her in the near future until the dust settles from the music industry's collapse. Even though her album came out a few months earlier, fans were expecting her to do a PFT Vol. 2 at a lightening pace. Obviously isn't happening.

M.I.A. is on Interscope.

This does not put all the blame on the record companies. Albums were released in 2007, and CD could have been as well if Axl wanted it released. So this doesn't effect whether or not CD could have been released the past few years, but it will certainly play a role in its non release in at least the first half of 08.

We're probably not getting this album in 08. Like MIA, Axl may wait for the dust to settle from the collapse. Axl has much more at stake than M.I.A. does.

People should watch what other acts on this label do in the coming months.

starsko
 Rep: 6 

starsko wrote:
Abbey_Road wrote:

Baz is not a liar, he's always been straight forward with his remarks.  If he said "Axl really wanted the album out this year", then we have to believe him. There's no reason not to. 

cybercurves

That's laughable.

I agree that Axl would have wanted it out this year but he isn't going to budge from something he doesn't want to agree with from the record co. if that is the case.

As far as this, well have to see what comes of it.    Lots of huge companies get layoffs and the fact Geffen is still ramaining on it's own and not totally being absorbed by Univ. is a good thing.   I'll bet you that after a few months, they'll hire again.  It happens.   Even if it doesn't happen, this doesn't mean a total collapse, it means they are downsizing, beit getting rid of 2 veterans because they probably make the highest salaries.  I'll take a huge bet, they will hire people at a lower salary in a few months.  Sometimes young blood is good, these people are hungry and want to prove their worth and they'll do it at a lower price.

However, the old timers like Axl would probably want someone working on his project with credibility and experience, they didn't get rid of everyone so it's a good bet they still have veterans still working.

I wouldn't rule out 08 solely because of this.   08 could be ruled out of the same old reason that this album doesn't come out every year, what ever that may be.

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

It is axls fault CD didnt get released this year. He DIDNT HAND IT IN. Its axls fault and if you dont think it is, your a fool. This CD should have been handed in last year and wasnt.

Its funny all these other bands from geffen/interscope can release albums with all these lay offs but Axl cant yet its the labels fault. Wake the hell up

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

It is axls fault CD didnt get released this year. He DIDNT HAND IT IN. Its axls fault and if you dont think it is, your a fool. This CD should have been handed in last year and wasnt.

Its funny all these other bands from geffen/interscope can release albums with all these lay offs but Axl cant yet its the labels fault. Wake the hell up

Hey Dave, insults aren't allowed on here, everyone is allowed to have an opinion.  If someone feels it's not Axl fault, they are not foolish, it's an opinion.   You have no idea what the deal is or why this album isn't out or why it's not handed in or maybe it is and Univ. is saying they aren't distributing until Axl agrees to some agreement.   So no one can be the fool, if we don't know.   If Axl ever did tell his story you may just agree with what he's decided to do.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Dave, where are your blue pills ? You know, the ones that make you happy and an ax lova ?

What's happened to you ? You used to worship at the axl temple ? have you lost faith in the red almighty ?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

No one is blaming the record company for past failures to release the album. Albums are released all the time. However, with the industry in chaos at the moment, some artists are going to take a "timeout".

Axl loves excuses, and the record company has handed him a juicy one on a silver platter.

Board footer