You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

dr_love6977 wrote:

Ok, just saw it for the first time tonight after being delayed numerous times over the past week (sex and alcohol.) I'm not trying to be on the Ledger bandwagon or anything, but I think he totally owned it as the Joker. His sadistic portrayal completely trumped Nicholson's goofy portrayal. Nothing against Nicholson or anything, but every character he plays is the same. There is one thing that disappointed me tho.

*SPOILER*

Hidden Text:

When I saw that Harvey Dent was in it, I got excited and figured he would be disfigured in the end and it would be a setup for the next movie. I don't like that he was only Two-Face for like 15 minutes then gets killed off. I hate when they take these big villains and make them into small roles. I also don't see how they can pull off a third one. They can't just have a Batman movie where he's not the hero, rather the villain.

But all in all, a kick-ass movie.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I heard, not counting it's overall gross during the week, that The Dark Knight made another $25 million on Friday alone. They're expecting another $77 million gross for the weekend.

Although it's overall weekend numbers aren't in yet, "The X-Files: I Want To Believe" was DOA on Friday earning ONLY $5 million on it's opening day.

Ouch.

Wow. That guarantees we'll never see a new X Files movie again.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I heard, not counting it's overall gross during the week, that The Dark Knight made another $25 million on Friday alone. They're expecting another $77 million gross for the weekend.

Although it's overall weekend numbers aren't in yet, "The X-Files: I Want To Believe" was DOA on Friday earning ONLY $5 million on it's opening day.

Ouch.

Wow. That guarantees we'll never see a new X Files movie again.

I've hear some pretty bad things on that movie too.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I saw this in iMax Friday night, it was cool. The city shots are amazing. I liked the movie a little less this time since the shock and build-up of the first viewing were gone, and things like the pencil trick and the reveal of Two-Face didn't pack the same punch. But it was still a great movie. It makes me wonder if I'd have enjoyed Iron Man or Wall-E (James, did you see Wall-E?) a second time, a week after I first saw them.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I've seen it 4 times now and yep, still awesome. Up to $314 million after 10 days, although that number might change tomorrow with actuals since this is just an estimate for the weekend. Fastest to $300 million before this was Pirates 2 at 16 days. Fastest to $400 million was Shrek 2 at 43 days. TDK will get to $400 million in 20 days or less it looks like. Pretty damn amazing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

Ok, just saw it for the first time tonight after being delayed numerous times over the past week (sex and alcohol.) I'm not trying to be on the Ledger bandwagon or anything, but I think he totally owned it as the Joker. His sadistic portrayal completely trumped Nicholson's goofy portrayal. Nothing against Nicholson or anything, but every character he plays is the same. There is one thing that disappointed me tho.

*SPOILER*

Hidden Text:

When I saw that Harvey Dent was in it, I got excited and figured he would be disfigured in the end and it would be a setup for the next movie. I don't like that he was only Two-Face for like 15 minutes then gets killed off. I hate when they take these big villains and make them into small roles. I also don't see how they can pull off a third one. They can't just have a Batman movie where he's not the hero, rather the villain.

But all in all, a kick-ass movie.

We were discussing that same point last week and here's what we all came up with;

Hidden Text:

you saw Harvey Dent get a hero's funeral, you didn't exactly see Two-Face die. So we're all figuring Two-Face is alive while "Harvey Dent" died.

As for X-Files, we're discussing it in a different thread. I liked it alot but I think they should've though twice (actually, three or four times) about opening so close to TDK.

It also didn't help Chris Carter pulled an Axl and kept the whole thing so fuckin' secretive.

People didn't even know what they were going to see. Thus the reason the only minimal B.O. they did make was from the diehard X-Philes.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

(James, did you see Wall-E?)

Never even heard of it.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Finally saw this film at the weekend. I loved it.

Sounding like a broken record but Ledger was simply awesome, he stole the show for me, every scene he was in was a highlight. I don't care if he gets nominated for an oscar or not if I'm honest, this performance was special and everyone in the theatre knew it. I always liked Nicholsons Joker but this is just light years ahead, it's not even comparable really.

Bale was good again, much less of him as Wayne in this film but that's to be expected.

As for Maggie, I don't really care. Quite what she brought to the table that Holmes didn't I'm not sure. She delivered her lines, much like Holmes did and it stops about there. Not to sound shallow and eager to get pretty faces on the big screen but it's just not believable that Bruce Wayne handsome billionaire and Dent handsome DA of Gotham would both fall for Maggie's Rachel, they could literally have the pick of any woman in the city and they both go for Maggie? C'mon.

All the other supporting cast were good, Oldman especially.

Hidden Text:

I was surprised to see Dent/Two Face be killed as I'd heard he was set for the next film but obviously not. Having said that maybe he's not dead, Batman took the same fall and got up after having already been shot, yet Dent died. I know falling isn't an exact science so realistically it's possible but in film terms it lacked a bit of continuity. Whilst we're on that, how come Batman killed Dent, they made such a thing about him not killing Joker then in the next scene he throws Dent off a building?

A slight complaint is that whilst I didn't mind the length of the film it still felt a bit rushed at times, I think they were guilty of maybe trying to get a bit too much in one film. Couple that with some very quick yet important scenes, in which you've barely had time to take in what you've seen before it's over and onto another plotline, and the tale they wove (which was very good) became pretty blurry at times. I think it either needed to be a bit less complex and busy or be longer and slow the pace slightly. 

As for where to take the franchise, I would understand if they chose to end it there standing alone as the best Batman and superhero film ever. The way it ended had a form of closure so that it could be left alone. I hope they don't though, even if the death of Ledger has left things very much up in the air. Had he been alive there wouldn't even be a question about if they'd do another, as it is people are suggesting the Joker be retired now Ledgers gone, which whilst I understand the sentiment, Joker isn't Ledgers character and shouldn't die with him, and nor should the franchise. Begins was a good movie without Ledger, they may never top TDK, but if they can put out films of BB's quality you still won't get many complaints. Not only that but there's a couple of villains that could be amazing if brought to life by Nolan and co. The Riddler especially could be awesome. The way TDK ended there's definitely scope for a film or two with Joker in some high security assylum or something and it not be an issue that he's not in it.

Board footer