You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Another theory as to why the the ball is in the record company's hands

James wrote:

I would imagine that with so much time taken, Axl has some sort of concept as to how he wants the tracklist. If a prior rejection was because of lack of hits/weak material, then I guess a scenario you described where Uni is sitting on a bunch of cluttered material is possible. Also, if its in their hands, Axl may have zero say in how the final product looks. An interesting yet scary thought.

I would hate for Uni to load the album with pop songs and ballads to try and make a huge profit.

Sky Dog wrote:

there are a thousand possibilities... that is the problem when you take so much time, spend so much money, and possibly have too much material (weak or strong who knows?).... Just think about it.:nervous:

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

What a nightmare this album will be to launch. Look at the challenges:
- Songs that range from one to 15 years old (risk of some of them sounding dated).
- Stylistic swings that could be quite extreme (the Blues versus Silkworms for example) which may mess with the bands musical identity.
- Aging musicians that many low-touch GNR fans will not recognise - danger of what the industry calls '˜the charisma deficit' which can hurt sales (check out what happened when Steven Tyler kept Aerosmith going without Joe).
- Seven leaked songs, most of which are still easily accessed on You Tube -very minor global buzz in response to them.
- Axl is still dogged with accusations of being undependable regarding getting on stage and staying there.
- Axl still has expensive tastes - private jets and full separate travelling entourage away from the rest of the band.
- The public seems as hungry for the old line up as ever. The poor state of music today has driven huge demand for older acts to come back out. This has been proven with reunions of Led Zep, Van Halen, and The Eagles etc. The record execs must have that request on the tip of their tongue when Axl attends strategy meetings for GNR.
- Recoup will be limited by illegal downloading etc
- It seems Axl may only loose on the live circuit for two reasons:
o GNR have been around the world twice on a nostalgia tour - how many people will show again for the same thing?
o Possible smaller crowd attendance at gigs if Axl decides to forgo classic Guns material for newer, less well known material off the new album.
- Will Axl be happy making cheap videos for his songs? I  can only imagine what he has in mind for his first video and single in 15 years!! Major $$$$$

James

James wrote:

It definitely has clusterfuck written all over it, and I think it plays a role in his procrastination, which keeps the cycle going. I have always said the 01-02 tours(and now add the 06-07 tours to the list) were a mistake since no album materialized. He drags the name through the mud and it loses its mystique each time an albumless tour takes place.

Many have said the interest would go near zero if he kept touring and crying wolf. 2007 proved that theory. There was such little media interest, GNR had to hire its own people to write reviews of shows. The only decent publicity the GNR name got was the AFD anniversary. No one cared about anything else, even with the band on tour.

As far as the music being "dated", thats a given. He just needs to have a couple songs that are single worthy, and wont tarnish the name anymore than its been tarnished. CD doesn't have to be the final stop. It could be a new beginning of sorts.

The mindblowing thing is this project has been in limbo for so many years that CD could be a greatest hits of new GNR, and they STILL cant come up with one album's worth of product to put on shelves.

The fact that the CD myth is dead doesn't help this project either. 2001 and the leaks let the cat out of the bag, and there was no point in stalling and trying to recapture the mystery after that.

He's just gotta throw it out there and hope it sticks.

Sky Dog wrote:

interesting rumor from the rope, I don't think CD will be coming out on Geffen. Looks like it is finito
http://www.velvetrope.com/forums/ubbthr … w=1#UNREAD

James

James wrote:

Wow. Thats huge. Not really a surprise though. The record industry is collapsing. There are going to be casualties. Not just labels but artists as well. Probably only a percentage of artists on Geffen will be kept by Universal or even signed by other labels.

Thank God M.I.A. is under the Interscope name, or I would really be worrying.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Geffen is shutting its doors? holy crap.....but is there any evidence to substansiate it?

James

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Geffen is shutting its doors? holy crap.....but is there any evidence to substansiate it?

Yeah, go look at the latest Billboard charts. Albums that should be selling millions are only selling a few thousand.

The collapse is underway. Its surprising one of the big dogs didn't die long ago.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

This is huge.  This may be the true beginning of the end for the record industry as we know it.

Holy Moly!!!!!

You know I guess when downloading you never actually think that it's hurting the record company as well as the aritst.   If more artists use independent labels that's going to affect the big boys as well.

Man this could really set CD back even further then it's already been 18

Board footer