You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Rant Thread

monkeychow wrote:

Just to give the 2c of another forum user...

What Flaggs wrote would of course be offensive to those who are close to teachers, however, this is a thread where people are supposed to be able to rant about what pisses them off, which is what he was doing.

For the record I thought some of what he said was wrong and offensive too...but that's the nature of this thread. The problem Dr_love is that you have attacked the speaker rather than his argument.

Flaggs may or may not be wrong, but he was within the rules of this place by not directly insulting another member. Yes he had views about a whole group of people that may or may not be right. But he didn't name people on the board and insult them directly.  If you don't like what he wrote - by all means write back and explain why he is wrong, or misguided and whatever else - but you can't personally insult the man. Insult his viewpoint not him.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

All I know is the comments though unintentional  were  indirectly directed at me. I WAS a teacher, Granted a  substitute teacher but that was due to lack of job openings.  I was on my way to becoming a highschool phys ed teacher. The comments made by Axlin08 and Randall in my opinion were disgusting.  Like I said my best friend is an amazing teacher and one of the best people I have ever met. Myself I was an excellent teacher I know this not because I toot my own horn but becasue I've been told so by students, friends, and parents alike. Peoel who to thsi day(8 years later) still tell me I shoudl go back and teach.  I took alot of pride and took the job seriously. It's what I wanted to be in life but for various reasons I moved on to other things. I played football in highschool and was a "star running back", I was on the track team and also played goal in hockey and was drafted to play WHL hockey in Sakatoon.  To say that someone like myself wanted to be a teacher so I could relive my glory days by going back to school and once again become a big fish in a small pond is fucking lame.  the fucked up generalizations in this discussion reak of kids planning a columbine incident. Sorry if that offends anyone but seriously. I was an athelete a JOCK if you will but I was friends with everyone. I wanted to be a teacher cause I thought it'd be a  good way to give back. Something that would make me feel liek I was doing something important. The opinions expressed regarding teachers absolutely reak of disgruntled people who were more likely than not total fucking jerkoffs in highschool. Sorry but if generalizatiosn are allowed to persist in this topic than the blatant generalizations of what some must've been like as students  should as well.  When I look back at highschool the kids who hated the teachers were the kids who more often than not were fucking dipshits. Myself being one of those kids for a period of time.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

HOLY SHIT!  I leave for a day and this drama ensues.  I'm kind of flattered actually, my alias is living up to his reputation.  Now, let me disect the common criticisms to better explain my point

1.)  It's obvious there are great teachers out there who truly dedicate their lives to making the world a better place.  I had a few, I know at least one personally and my departed Aunt fit that description (though never being a student of hers or even in her school puts me at an objective disadvantage).  I have hung out with teachers outside of school.  I've had many a drinks with my High School AP Government teacher at a bar I patronize when I'm back in Ohio.  One of my friend's wife is a teacher at the same school my aunt taught at.  So I know teachers.  I know that in my experience, from both being a student in high school and knowing many education majors while in college that most are self-important douches.  Axlin08 was spot on.  The vast majority of the teachers at my highschool were former alumnus of that same school.  And the football coach and basketball coach (the baseball coach too) were all star athletes for my high school when they were students there.  So please don't tell me there isn't any validity to my claim. 

2.)  Please don't attack my education.  I'm not a braggard, but based on national averages, my education level and IQ probably far exceed most people here.  Doesn't make me better or superior, just stating that attacking my education and intelligence isn't going to win you any points, less you possess a PhD. 

3.)  I don't worry about personal insults.  After many years of battling with my nemesis at HTGTH, I've learned to cope with internet attacks.  I've been guilty of it myself, specifically when someone attacks America or tries to spin Soldiers in a negative light.  It happens.  However, I live my life by a certain set of social standards, one being I always apologize if I accidentally offend someone (and I believe their offense is justifiable).  As I had no idea nor intent to offend anyone with my post, to those who took offense, I apologize. 

4.) Spelling and grammar.  I don't have the time nor inclination to proof-read every post I submit.  If my apparent gapping abilities in grammar offend you, I recommend you not read my posts as you're probably only going to become more enraged as you read the content of said post. 

In conclusion, don't take life too serious, no one gets out alive.  If a complete fucking stranger's opinion on the internet is enough to elevate your blood pressure (something I too am guilty of from time to time) you probably need to step back and ground your feet in reality.

Keep on walkin'
-- The Ageless Stranger

Randall Flagg

No doubt.  I openly admit I was a dipshit and asshole in High School.  I didn't give a fuck about any of it and to this day consider most of it a joke.  I didn't truly feel I was being educated until I started college.  To me high school was a check the box.  I knew then and have the credentials now to support my belief at the time that I was more intelligent and objective than the majority of those trying to teach me.  Take it for what it is:rock: 

I used to get out of class all the time in high school.  My freshman and sophomore year (1997) me and two of my friends were the computer gurus so we got excused from every class to install the school's network and brand new pentium II 333 mhz computers.  Later on I became the cadet commander of our JROTC program and was once again excused (many times I wrote my own pass) to get out of stuff that was not important to me.  Not saying I was right and that the teacher's were to blame for my attitude, that's just the way it was.  I would never let my son do the shit I did, but you grow and you learn. 

They threatened to expell me twice my senior year and revoke my scholarship.  You see, my school wasn't exactly wealthy and we didn't even have a theatre department until my junior year.  So they did the wizard of oz my junior year and everyone was happy.  Well my senior year, they did another play (I don't know what one, which you'll see in a moment) but decided rather than perform it for the students during the day, they were going to charge us 5$ to watch the play or we would sit in the cafetria and study.  I thought this was bullshit, so long story short I made a bunch of counterfit tickets and over half the student body had my free tickets by the start of the play.  So of course there is no such thing as a secret, and I didn't deny that I did it.  But because I didn't charge for the tickets, they couldn't really do anything even though teachers and the people in the play were screaming for my head.  So I got in school suspension and saturday school.

Then the coup de grace that really put in perspective how vindictive and moronic alot of teachers are occured mere weeks before I graduated.  As I understand it, most seniors have to do a research paper for their final english project.  Well, with most things at that point in my life, I didn't take it very seriously and certainly didn't turn in homework and other procedural bullshit my teacher wanted.  Not to give the idea that I didn't have good grades, I had a 3.3 GPA so make your own opinion.  But I certainly didn't play ball and bring in an updated status of my paper every week as was requested.  So long story short, in my paper I didn't cite my sources properly.  I wrote Randall Flagg said hi instead of Randall Flagg said "hi."  My teacher accused me of plagiarism because of this and was going to fail me.  To make the whole situation worse, my buddy Rick was bullshiting with me the day before she was going to give us our grades (I had no idea she was going to fail me) and was joking about how fucked up it would be if she failed us on our reports and we lost our scholarships because of it.  I laughed and he then said something to the affect of he'd have to pay that teacher back for ruining his life.  So this cunt of a teacher comes in the next day, and tells the principal that I threatened to kill her if she failed me.  That same teacher I mentioned in the last post got wind of this and tried to give me a heads up, but obviously couldn't give me the full story.  But word spreads fast and by lunch I knew what she had said and I was fucking pissed.  So being the dipshit 18 year old I was, I marched into the principal's office and dictated to him in a very authoritative tone that I was innocent and that she was full of shit verbatim.  He "corrected" my attitude and called her down.  I'll openly admit that I was at the point of tears at this point because I really thought I was going to get fucked for something I  didn't do.  Anyway, she ended up admitting that I never said it, but my friend Rick did and I didn't correct him when he said it so she assumed I was saying the same thing.  She ended up giving me 3 0s and 3 65s on the report instead of giving me 6 0s which is what she wanted to do.  I ended up actually studying the last few weeks, aced all my english test and got a D in English 12 and went to college on a full scholarship.

So was I a dipshit and asshole in high school?  You bet your ass.  But did I see a bunch of shallow, self-deluded and self-important assholes pass themselves off as educators?  You bet your ass.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

if someone expresses disaproval in a discussion topic then if they bring it to the mods or admins of the site then we'll ask it to be toned down....doesnt matter if its gays, religions, politics, or whatever...hell Rex posted a joke about voiolence towards women and thats ok....but Randall posts about some bad experiences with Teachers and its the end of the word? chill folks

some of hte stuff in the news section is pretty racy too yet this it the strongest response i;ve seen from all that stuff we have in the other section...weird

as to anti-fascist's "experience" being a mod on the biggest music forum on the net....welll thats fine and dandy...but you're on our turf now and this is how we roll...we strive to set our standards about the other sites out there and we do things our own way...the funniest part about this is that if dr_love woulda left well enough alone after James had asked him not to insult Randall then that woulda been the end of it...yet we were told how to run our own site? c'mon man..we don't play those games here...its our house our rules....if you dont like it then "Sorry for You, Not Sorry for Me" life will go on around here

as for anti-facist...you're either dr_love or his wife/gf or a buddy , but to whink that we cant check your ip when you sign up is weird..especially if you were a mod on "one of the biggest music forums on the net"

dr_love has always been a cool dude so this was a bit outta character for him...but when he comes back all is cool as far as I'm concerned 5

anti-fascist
 Rep: 0 

anti-fascist wrote:

I love how everyone and their brother had to chime in on this one. strat0, sic., Neemo, BLS-Pride.. this concerned none of you, yet you all had to come in and tell me that I'm at fault. Do me a favor, go back to kissing Lofton's ass and mind your own business. Don't worry about banning me or anything, I'm done here.

Randall Flagg

Tell your fiance I said hi and I hope she had a great christmas break and has an even better summer vacation!

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
anti-fascist wrote:

I love how everyone and their brother had to chime in on this one. strat0, sic., Neemo, BLS-Pride.. this concerned none of you, yet you all had to come in and tell me that I'm at fault. Do me a favor, go back to kissing Lofton's ass and mind your own business. Don't worry about banning me or anything, I'm done here.

Sorry you feel that way. You were always a good poster.

And another thing. If you don't want something to be commented on in an online forum talk in PMs then. If you haven't noticed threads are open to anyone and everyone's opinion.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

In general, the RANT thread is going to have some angry, perhaps generalized statements in it. That's kind of why it's here. Best not to get worked up over that stuff.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No doubt.  I openly admit I was a dipshit and asshole in High School.  I didn't give a fuck about any of it and to this day consider most of it a joke.  I didn't truly feel I was being educated until I started college.  To me high school was a check the box.  I knew then and have the credentials now to support my belief at the time that I was more intelligent and objective than the majority of those trying to teach me.  Take it for what it is:rock: 

I used to get out of class all the time in high school.  My freshman and sophomore year (1997) me and two of my friends were the computer gurus so we got excused from every class to install the school's network and brand new pentium II 333 mhz computers.  Later on I became the cadet commander of our JROTC program and was once again excused (many times I wrote my own pass) to get out of stuff that was not important to me.  Not saying I was right and that the teacher's were to blame for my attitude, that's just the way it was.  I would never let my son do the shit I did, but you grow and you learn. 

They threatened to expell me twice my senior year and revoke my scholarship.  You see, my school wasn't exactly wealthy and we didn't even have a theatre department until my junior year.  So they did the wizard of oz my junior year and everyone was happy.  Well my senior year, they did another play (I don't know what one, which you'll see in a moment) but decided rather than perform it for the students during the day, they were going to charge us 5$ to watch the play or we would sit in the cafetria and study.  I thought this was bullshit, so long story short I made a bunch of counterfit tickets and over half the student body had my free tickets by the start of the play.  So of course there is no such thing as a secret, and I didn't deny that I did it.  But because I didn't charge for the tickets, they couldn't really do anything even though teachers and the people in the play were screaming for my head.  So I got in school suspension and saturday school.

Then the coup de grace that really put in perspective how vindictive and moronic alot of teachers are occured mere weeks before I graduated.  As I understand it, most seniors have to do a research paper for their final english project.  Well, with most things at that point in my life, I didn't take it very seriously and certainly didn't turn in homework and other procedural bullshit my teacher wanted.  Not to give the idea that I didn't have good grades, I had a 3.3 GPA so make your own opinion.  But I certainly didn't play ball and bring in an updated status of my paper every week as was requested.  So long story short, in my paper I didn't cite my sources properly.  I wrote Randall Flagg said hi instead of Randall Flagg said "hi."  My teacher accused me of plagiarism because of this and was going to fail me.  To make the whole situation worse, my buddy Rick was bullshiting with me the day before she was going to give us our grades (I had no idea she was going to fail me) and was joking about how fucked up it would be if she failed us on our reports and we lost our scholarships because of it.  I laughed and he then said something to the affect of he'd have to pay that teacher back for ruining his life.  So this cunt of a teacher comes in the next day, and tells the principal that I threatened to kill her if she failed me.  That same teacher I mentioned in the last post got wind of this and tried to give me a heads up, but obviously couldn't give me the full story.  But word spreads fast and by lunch I knew what she had said and I was fucking pissed.  So being the dipshit 18 year old I was, I marched into the principal's office and dictated to him in a very authoritative tone that I was innocent and that she was full of shit verbatim.  He "corrected" my attitude and called her down.  I'll openly admit that I was at the point of tears at this point because I really thought I was going to get fucked for something I  didn't do.  Anyway, she ended up admitting that I never said it, but my friend Rick did and I didn't correct him when he said it so she assumed I was saying the same thing.  She ended up giving me 3 0s and 3 65s on the report instead of giving me 6 0s which is what she wanted to do.  I ended up actually studying the last few weeks, aced all my english test and got a D in English 12 and went to college on a full scholarship.

So was I a dipshit and asshole in high school?  You bet your ass.  But did I see a bunch of shallow, self-deluded and self-important assholes pass themselves off as educators?  You bet your ass.

I experienced the same kind of bullshit, and yes Bono, I also admit I was a total asshole in school... but I had every reason to be. It was fucking Auschwitz.

Board footer