You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: LARS ULRICH Holding Up Release of GNR 'Better' Video?

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

You guys are so negative you even put me to shame by millions of miles.

I don't think I've ever been very harsh on GNR boards before, but for fucks sake, if you don't care, just leave. Post at a board for a band u actually care about.

Very few would be here if they didn't care about the band.  A lot/most don't care for what has happened to the band they love over the past 15 years.  That doesn't mean that people aren't interested or don't care.  It's because people care that they are so negative, otherwise we'd have the same response as the rest of the world, which is "who cares?"

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

You guys are so negative you even put me to shame by millions of miles.

I don't think I've ever been very harsh on GNR boards before, but for fucks sake, if you don't care, just leave. Post at a board for a band u actually care about.

I think that attitude right there is alot of the problem Intercourse is getting at.

Nobody is wanting to intelligently discuss this OBVIOUS clusterfuck & disaster.

There's nothing wrong with staying positive... until it clouds reality.

If he was up here going, "Axl sucks, fuck him, fuck fakeGNR"... yes, i'd agree. He's being overly negative. He's not.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

If you look at my posts you will see that I have given plenty of criticism where it is due, and those subjects are more than just a few.

However, it's how you do it and from what approach you're going at it from.

Why is it an obvious clusterfuck and disaster? Who decided that? Who set's what benchmark for it to become a disaster? The fans? Axl? Label? I just don't get what you're after. There's some obvious things I've criticised, mainly the promoting and the lack of band apperance. No need to go there again. Axl Rose showing up and doing some extensive fan chats makes up for any interview he might have done in Rolling Stone on my account.

So is it the album sales? Are they so bad it becomes a disaster? To what benchmark would that be? We're speaking of a band with one member left which hasn't released one damn bit of new music since 1991. Do we set the benchmark to Appetite or to what this is? Really. Just stand up and face the music and stop living in a bubble where Axl Rose is the king of the Universe and Chinese Democracy would resurrect everything from Jesus to Martin Luther King Jr. If you've felt let down for the past 10 years you should have seen this coming at least 5 years ago. This thing is run like this, go with it, or leave for the sake of your own mentality. It won't change any time soon.
Chinese Democracy, the music, in my opinion, is a damn good album with an obvious flaw in not having the rock anthem with the riff that sticks. It consists of some pretty sucky songs like SOD, but also some amazing music like This I Love.

If someone here used the "Axl sucks, fuck him, fuck fake GNR" I wouldn't even bother to post here. This board has always had a realistic approach to GNR. But sometimes the negativity just goes overboard. If I was that let down and depressed and annoyed with this whole thing I would have quit. Really. Years ago. Many did. Don't blame them one bit for it either.

It's not my fault you set the standard at the wrong level for this album release. This is Axl Rose we're talking about and his Guns N' Roses. If you expected some form of Metallica release or something you've been so naive you should be lined up against the wall and shot.

otherwise we'd have the same response as the rest of the world, which is "who cares?"

Look at it this way. It sold 1 million copies and the band has been dead in the publics eye for 10 years. There's nothing left of anything but still they did a successfull 2006 tour with sold out arenas and still sold that amount of albums. All things considered, people care. If people didn't care, your band would be called Ratt and you're playing in clubs in Kentucky.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I think people are complaining about album sales because of the amount and spent making the album.  It's simple business really.  Unfortunately, the "this album cost 13 million dollar to make" thing will always hamstring this album to some extent.

It's not my fault you set the standard at the wrong level for this album release.

This is actually a pretty interesting question.  What should the standard have been?  I remember reading a RS article in 2000 where CD is being compared to Physical Graffiti. 

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=2939  (link to RS article).

I never had those expectations though, to me all I wanted was a simple album made by one of my favorite bands while growing up.  Full disclosure:  I lost interest in the project probably in 2004-2006.  I found the leaks (the 2006 ones) in 2007 and was interested in the band again.  Most of the fans of this band aren't rooting for Axl to fail.  I feel a lot of sympathy for Axl and what he has been through.  However, some of these have been self-inflicted though and as a fan you really can't ignore some of the stuff. 
My disappointments are twofold:  I don't particularly care for the amount of overproduction on the final product.  I prefer the basic structures of the songs on the demos.  The clusterfuck style in which the band is run and how information is released would be the other reason.  I think you and I are in agreement here.  The official website is a joke. (FWIW, I never understood why Gnr didn't give fans the opportunity to order CD online from the website.)  Flimsy excuses are given as to why things happen or don't happen.  Anybody remember Axl cancelling a tour in 2001 because he only just read about it over the internet.  I think the lack of professionalism is what irks people the most.  For example, if you release an album shouldn't you expect a video to go with that?  I don't think its holding to band to a superhigh standard to expect these basic things.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:
DCK wrote:

If you look at my posts you will see that I have given plenty of criticism where it is due, and those subjects are more than just a few.

Why is it an obvious clusterfuck and disaster? Who decided that? Who set's what benchmark for it to become a disaster? The fans? Axl? Label? I just don't get what you're after. There's some obvious things I've criticised, mainly the promoting and the lack of band apperance. No need to go there again. Axl Rose showing up and doing some extensive fan chats makes up for any interview he might have done in Rolling Stone on my account.

So is it the album sales? Are they so bad it becomes a disaster? To what benchmark would that be? We're speaking of a band with one member left which hasn't released one damn bit of new music since 1991. Do we set the benchmark to Appetite or to what this is? Really. Just stand up and face the music and stop living in a bubble where Axl Rose is the king of the Universe and Chinese Democracy would resurrect everything from Jesus to Martin Luther King Jr. If you've felt let down for the past 10 years you should have seen this coming at least 5 years ago. This thing is run like this, go with it, or leave for the sake of your own mentality. It won't change any time soon.
Chinese Democracy, the music, in my opinion, is a damn good album with an obvious flaw in not having the rock anthem with the riff that sticks. It consists of some pretty sucky songs like SOD, but also some amazing music like This I Love.

If someone here used the "Axl sucks, fuck him, fuck fake GNR" I wouldn't even bother to post here. This board has always had a realistic approach to GNR. But sometimes the negativity just goes overboard. If I was that let down and depressed and annoyed with this whole thing I would have quit. Really. Years ago. Many did. Don't blame them one bit for it either.

It's not my fault you set the standard at the wrong level for this album release. This is Axl Rose we're talking about and his Guns N' Roses. If you expected some form of Metallica release or something you've been so naive you should be lined up against the wall and shot.

otherwise we'd have the same response as the rest of the world, which is "who cares?"

Look at it this way. It sold 1 million copies and the band has been dead in the publics eye for 10 years. There's nothing left of anything but still they did a successfull 2006 tour with sold out arenas and still sold that amount of albums. All things considered, people care. If people didn't care, your band would be called Ratt and you're playing in clubs in Kentucky.

very well said.

and as for axlin08 and intercourse, i'll get back to you later today, hopefully, when i have the time to really get into it. ok?

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I think people are pissed because its like we waited all this time for THIS?

U know what I am saying? we have been the most patient, most loyal fanbase on the planet and to get an album no different than what we heard years ago, to get no tour, no press, no video, no nothing but a band collecting their money and telling us once again to fuck off.

we are treated as if we are "Lucky" Axl allows us to be fans where every other band feel they are lucky that "WE" are fans.

that is the difference. There is only so much disrespect and bullshit a fanbase can take before they have had enough.

It's like axl telling his side of the story and tons of people automatically calling out the old band as being liars............

well............ how many fucking members have left? Whose story holds more water?

Is everyone in the universe lying? I don't think so. Its like axl takes zero culpability in any of this.

CD got fucking OWNED by Contraband. A Cd made in like 6 months, brand new name etc etc, no established brand etc.

it is just embarrassing that we've been on here for a decade only to be stuck with the same old bullshit.

we are negative because we do care. If we didn't care we wouldn't give a shit enough to waste our time on here.

SOMEBODY needs to be honest with Axl and tell him the truth instead of all the yes people who makes him believe what he does is ok.

To the sell out/integrity thing

STFU about that please everyone. Dude sold his album to the highest bidder.................... so he gets no sympathy for it being in "fewer" stores or whatever. He got his money and he no longer cares.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
DCK wrote:

very well said.

and as for axlin08 and intercourse, i'll get back to you later today, hopefully, when i have the time to really get into it. ok?

Yeah, sure... roll

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

The negativity is the realistic approach to GNR. In case you haven't noticed, Axl is crazy. I want him to be the artist he can be, but if he's gonna fuck himself over, then I'm not going to stick up for him anymore and look like an asshole. I'm not gonna sit here like a dick and talk shit on Contraband and VR when at the very least, they are a band who makes new music for its fans, went on the road, did interviews and put out a good record that Axl-ites hate because people liked it and involved the old band. It's not perfect, but there's nothing to hate musically from Contraband.

Hey, if Axl can prove me wrong and release a follow up album in a year or two, then I'll think he may be on a decent path - steady releases would make up for lack of promotion. But, where does Axl go from here? His album tanked, his budgets are going to a lot lower now. And when the album came out with no promotion or anything, he took self sabotage to the most extreme level.

He's my favorite singer and his music is that I most relate to with the sound I like the most, but, it's pretty hard to play Mr. Nice Guy to Axl right now. I'm not his manager.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Why is it an obvious clusterfuck and disaster? Who decided that?

Have you been awake for the last 15 years?

Who set's what benchmark for it to become a disaster? The fans? Axl? Label? I just don't get what you're after.

The Label and the court of public opinion. Perception is ALWAYS reality, and the perception is this album is a bomb, and an absolute disaster. Doesn't mean the music isn't great. The music is great. Just no one outside the hardcores love it. If you feel that needs defending, then it'd be the equivalent of trying to convince the world how The Crue's "New Tattoo" is some amazing piece of art. A waste of time.

There's some obvious things I've criticised, mainly the promoting and the lack of band apperance. No need to go there again. Axl Rose showing up and doing some extensive fan chats makes up for any interview he might have done in Rolling Stone on my account.

I agree. But it doesn't earn him the fans sticking their heads in the sand, and living the illusion that it isn't the clusterfuck of the decade at this point.

So is it the album sales? Are they so bad it becomes a disaster? To what benchmark would that be? We're speaking of a band with one member left which hasn't released one damn bit of new music since 1991.

Which should've led to great record sales alone. No one is expecting this album to be UYI III. Times have changed. But even The Eagles "Long Road Out of Eden" did much better than CD ever dreamed of, and they'd been out of the loop for 30 years. And don't go into how "that's different, because the classic (or at least Hotel California) band is there. GN'R is just Axl at this point". All that argument does, is support that a reunion is the successful route... which I don't believe after 15 years of inactivity, and lack of interest.

Do we set the benchmark to Appetite or to what this is? Really.

Absolutely. Why not? Is the music strong enough? I personally think it's strong enough to go head-to-head with the Illusion albums, but certaintly not a 'combo' of the Illusion albums.

The world is naturally going to hold the album up to the light, and see if it matches AFD. No different than the pressure the Illusion albums were put under in 1991.

Is CD gonna be AFD. Hell no, we know that, they know that. But the world isn't fair, and just because that's the rules of the game, you don't pretend they don't exist. The wait for CD, INCREASED this affect, making it even tougher on Axl, than it would've, if he'd just put out the album in the mid-90's, where it would've ALSO been a bomb, because the music industry had just moved on from acts like GN'R at that point.

Just stand up and face the music and stop living in a bubble where Axl Rose is the king of the Universe and Chinese Democracy would resurrect everything from Jesus to Martin Luther King Jr.

So now it's my fault the album is not a success? Are you kidding me? Come on man, the band, Axl, Beta, anyone around the band, hyped this album to fucking death, the media ran with it, and GN'R lived it up. If the album didn't live up to expectations, the only people to blame - IS THEM. They might not have had the gun in their hand, but they provided the bullets. They ran with that 'mythic' legend that became CD, and the world eventually adapted to it. Now that they are finding out that Axl Rose is just another rock has-been, the reality of the situation is he's just a higher-quality Sebastian Bach or Stephen Pearcy, and not the Elton John/Freddie Mercury of his generation that he was made out to be. Not by fans. Not by the media. But by his own peers & friends.

If you've felt let down for the past 10 years you should have seen this coming at least 5 years ago.

I did. That's why I didn't say stupid shit like "Axl's gonna save the world". I knew it was bullcrap in 2002, when it came out at the VMA's, looking like a fucking joke.

This thing is run like this, go with it, or leave for the sake of your own mentality. It won't change any time soon.

I agree. I can't wait to see GN'R headline a bill with such legendary acts as Twisted Sister, White Lion, Britny Fox, Sebastian Bach Band, Skid Row-minus Sebastian Bach, Warrant-minus Jani Lane, Faster Pussycat & Ratt. Boy, get your tix now before they sell out.

All because he can't let by-gones be by-gones.

It's a very good album, that I find better than the Illusions. I love it. And SOD is not 'sucky'. It might not be the best on the album, but it's certaintly a good ballad, just a B-side.

f someone here used the "Axl sucks, fuck him, fuck fake GNR" I wouldn't even bother to post here. This board has always had a realistic approach to GNR. But sometimes the negativity just goes overboard. If I was that let down and depressed and annoyed with this whole thing I would have quit. Really. Years ago. Many did. Don't blame them one bit for it either.

So on one level, you love the album. But anyone who expected more, because they LOVE Axl and BELIEVE in Axl that much, should be shot?

So BECAUSE of their belief in Axl's abilities, they're stupid, and deserved to be disappointed?

This is the battered-wife syndrome, that sadly many GN'R fans have these days. roll

Look at it this way. It sold 1 million copies and the band has been dead in the publics eye for 10 years.

1 million albums worldwide for an act like GN'R is a terrible number. Stop living in denial.

There's nothing left of anything but still they did a successfull 2006 tour with sold out arenas and still sold that amount of albums. All things considered, people care.

Bwhahahahahaha....

Hold on...

Bwhwhahhahahahaha...

A successful 2006 tour? Sold out areas? Okay Jarmo.

You mean the 2006 tour, that could only fill arenas HALF-full on it's best day, right? Most of time 1/3 full.

You mean the 2006 tour that cancelled it's 2007 dates, because they had to finish up CD, so it could be released March 6th.

Are you high?

That tour was 'average' on it's best day, and showed that GN'R without Slash, was only marketable at a 50% level on it's best day. Oh, and if you're wondering, those dates were cancelled due to poor sales.

If people didn't care, your band would be called Ratt and you're playing in clubs in Kentucky.

Watch what you say. GN'R might be doing a joint-tour with them next year.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Damn Axlin.

Remind me to never piss u off.

If I ever murder someone, Im gonna hire u to be my attorney.

Board footer