You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Old WWF question...

mitchejw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Damn good point Private. That's the thing. Hogan is such a slouch and piss poor wrestler at this point in his career, that he's got to job imo, and let the other opponent do the heavy lifting.

I was never a big fan of the Hogan/Rock & Hogan/HBK matches, because to me, it seemed like The Rock & HBK did all the freakin' work, making Hogan look good.

Austin & The Rock had SO many AMAZING matches. To this day, my favorite match of EITHER of them, is Backlash '99. Austin also had some amazing matches with HHH and HBK and Taker.

Austin has not over-exposed himself like Hogan. Because of Austin's limited ability due to injuries, Austin has rested himself, and refused to sign off on ANY match that isn't "glorious" in nature. It has to be the biggest ticket of all time. And at this point, I think for Vince, it'd be for more marketable to market ("STONE COLD RETURNS FOR ONE FINAL MATCH!") than it would be ("HOGAN vs. AUSTIN: BATTLE OF THE TITANS"). People just don't give a shit anymore about Hogan, and from my knowledge, as far as the 'legends' go, Stone Cold still sells more merch than Hogan. Obviously the appeal is still there for Austin, unlike Hogan, who's EVERYWHERE. Hogan Knows Best, Brooke Knows Best, In Court, American Gladiators, Celebrity Wrestling, etc.

Austin pretty much sits at the house, drinks beer, and lives off his checks from Vince. Which, unless he's been doing 'ghost' matches in the ring for the last several years, I highly doubt Austin is currently in wrestling condition.

Oh, and Slashfro, you're right. Austin's final match was in 2002. In the last seven years, other than a few stunners and some mock punches, he's done nothing in the ring.

Hogan is desperate for money. IF Vince is interested in a Hogan/Austin, now is the time to pull the trigger, when Hogan is vunerable and desperate... BUT... when Hogan ain't happy - he dogs it. He's lazy, and doesn't work. So do you REALLY want a desperate Hogan?

I'd love to see Austin in the ring again, but I just think i'd like to see a Austin/Rock match again... maybe involve the McMahon's for old time's sake. Austin/DX would be cool, as would Austin/Taker... ultimate submission or something like that. There's plenty of other things i'd rather see than Hogan/Austin.

I dunno Axlin...gettin' rid of some old baggage by the name of Linda Hogan would make me happy, at any cost...lol

Now Hogan is free to date Brooke's 19 yo friends.

Ha...no, seriously...I don't know exactly what I would expect in a match between these two ...I honestly can say that I wouldn't mind seeing it. I accepted Hogan's lack of and declining wrestling ability for many years now. I'll tell you what though...if I have to see another Cena main event at wrestlemania this year, I will be unhappy!

GrizzDotCom
 Rep: 3 

GrizzDotCom wrote:

This is the kind of wrestling discussion I'm talking about, great stuff!

1992-1993 was definately a time of huge changes.  Warrior and Bulldog were the sacrificial lambs after the steroid allegations.  The jobbers you mentioned, Repo Man, Bezerker, Kamala etc. were just failed gimmicks (I like them in a wrestlecrap kinda way) so that's why they were canned.  The story with Flair is they told him he was going to be moved out of the World Title picture and down to midcard, and obviously he wasn't happy, and speaking of not happy, Savage wanted to stay an active wrestler so he got pissed with being a Commentator all the time.  I remember one of his last matches was against Crush at WMX, I loved that.

Also with WCW you had the lure of big money.  1992 had some killer feuds and events though.  Start of the year you have one of the best Rumbles of all time when Flair wins, Bobby Heenan on commentary deserves 50% credit for the greatness of that match he was superb as the Flair cheerleader.  The Wrestlemania of that year was "solid", Roddy Piper had probably one of his best ever matches against Bret Hart for the IC Strap in a face vs face battle where Piper resisted going heel.  Savage and Flair had a good one to, as Loften pointed out, it would of made more sense and been better to of had Flair vs Hogan, alas they waited til nobody cared too much, I have their WCW scrap from 1994 (I think?) on DVD and its pretty piss poor. 

Moving on to Summerslam of that year you had what was essentially a two match card (as in every other match stunk).  Bret and Bulldog had a classic in the Main Event, but further down the card, and many forget this one, Savage and Warrior had a classic to, spoiled slightly by a countout ending after Flair and Perfect showed up but I enjoy the hell out of this scrap.

They had the right idea though, you cannot just shelve all your legends in an instance, you have to gradually move them down the card, despite fighting over the World Title the Main Evenit (due to the UK location) had Bulldog and Hart which really put them on show as the future.  By the time Survivor Series came around Hart was Champion and therefore main evented against the NEW IC Champ Shawn Michaels, and as far as "Wrestling" goes, this was probably the best match in their trilogy, another scrap that is often overlooked.  Another match on the card that was good despite a DQ finish was Ramon and Flair vs Savage and Perfect, talking through all this again, 1992 really has to be one of my favourite years.

The years that followed I enjoyed as a kid but looking back now (I've re-bought) most of DVD, 1993-1996 had some godawful stuff.  I suppose when your a kid you enjoy it but having Garbage men and Clowns.

Although speaking of Clowns...Doink...they dropped the ball with him, when he came in as a heel he was without doubt one of the best heels going, the Evil Clown thing worked a treat, the kiddy babyface stuff killed him though.

As for Cena being small...you serious?  I keep wondering how does he pass those drug tests.  Dude is jacked!

Austin using What?  I believed started when he was a heel in 2001 during The ill fated Invasion.  As the leader of The Alliance he often had backstage segments where he'd talk to his watch and say What? and I think he just retained it afterwards when he went face post Invasion.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
GrizzDotCom wrote:

As for Cena being small...you serious?  I keep wondering how does he pass those drug tests.  Dude is jacked!

That's just it though, he's small framed. Sure he's probably roiding up & he is ripped, but his frame is the size of a guy 195. Someone like Triple H is a monster. The kindof guy who could just about beat the shit out of anybody. Maybe it's just image, or my perception. I haven't watched wrestling in a long time too (I'm talking years basically). But Cena seems like a smaller person than the intercontinental champ type people were. HBK seems pretty small too, I never found him heavyweight champ believable.

Interesting discussion about "What?!"  First time I remember it was Vince was talking to the crowd & Austin was saying it every now & then to interrupt him & get him to shut up. The crowd then joined in. Not sure that was the first time or not.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I'll tell you what though...if I have to see another Cena main event at wrestlemania this year, I will be unhappy!

Well get ready...

Even if there were to be a Hogan/Austin ticket, they would still be a mid-card. No lie. It's an age old wrestling tradition, even among the legends, that you ALWAYS allow title matches to be the main events.

Thus the reason that last WrestleMania, even though the biggest match on the card was HBK/Flair (Flair's final match), it was a mid-card.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I'll tell you what though...if I have to see another Cena main event at wrestlemania this year, I will be unhappy!

Well get ready...

Even if there were to be a Hogan/Austin ticket, they would still be a mid-card. No lie. It's an age old wrestling tradition, even among the legends, that you ALWAYS allow title matches to be the main events.

Thus the reason that last WrestleMania, even though the biggest match on the card was HBK/Flair (Flair's final match), it was a mid-card.

Minus WM 11 where they thought LT and Bam Bam werea bigger draw than HBK/Nash. If Hogan vs. Austin happens it will most likely be in the middle of the World title and WWE title match. Austin while he has been absent is still one of the biggest draws for WWE and they will use that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Austin is still a bigger draw than all of them actually. Even though the WWE claims every WM event breaks PPV records, if I remember correctly, the Bald Billionaires match where Austin was special ref a couple years ago, was their highest buy rate since that Hogan/Rock match several years ago, which I believe was a SummerSlam.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Seeing that the Rumble is going to be held in Detroit for the first time in a few short weeks, I'm going to try really hard to make it.

I think you should go since it's the only one of the big PPV that you haven't attended.  I find the Royal Rumble the most entertaining of all the big PPV.

Regarding another Austin match, if they can't get Hogan would Jericho be a logical second choice?  He's red hot as a heel, cuts insane promos and could probably guide Austin towards a good match.  Currently, Jericho is not involved in any specific program.  I'm discounting both HBK and Undertaker since those two are slated to face each other at WM (at least according to rumors).  There's no one else on the roster worth who would fit the specific criteria for Austin's final match anyway.

Savage wanted to stay an active wrestler so he got pissed with being a Commentator all the time.  I remember one of his last matches was against Crush at WMX, I loved that.

I forget how this feud started--didn't this orignially involve Doink the evil clown beating up on Crush.  Then Savage saved Crush from another beating and eventually Crush turned on Savage, claiming he was a bad friend.  I think he ended up injuring Savage's throat after press slamming him on a guard rail.

And yes the match at WM X was excellent.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Seeing that the Rumble is going to be held in Detroit for the first time in a few short weeks, I'm going to try really hard to make it.

I think you should go since it's the only one of the big PPV that you haven't attended.  I find the Royal Rumble the most entertaining of all the big PPV.

Regarding another Austin match, if they can't get Hogan would Jericho be a logical second choice?  He's red hot as a heel, cuts insane promos and could probably guide Austin towards a good match.  Currently, Jericho is not involved in any specific program.  I'm discounting both HBK and Undertaker since those two are slated to face each other at WM (at least according to rumors).  There's no one else on the roster worth who would fit the specific criteria for Austin's final match anyway.

Savage wanted to stay an active wrestler so he got pissed with being a Commentator all the time.  I remember one of his last matches was against Crush at WMX, I loved that.

I forget how this feud started--didn't this orignially involve Doink the evil clown beating up on Crush.  Then Savage saved Crush from another beating and eventually Crush turned on Savage, claiming he was a bad friend.  I think he ended up injuring Savage's throat after press slamming him on a guard rail.

And yes the match at WM X was excellent.

I'll help ya out with this one.

It was actually Yokozuna who originally caused the rift...somehow...as it doesn't make complete sense by the story that unfolded from late '93 to WMX.

Crush got a shot at Yokozuna...he was going to be the first guy to knock Yoko down...none the less, the beat him. Crush was bragging about how he was going to knock Yoko down (which he never did) and not even caring about winning the match. Well Crush got demonlished by Yoko and took like a half dozen bonzai drops. Macho Man got up from the announcers booth after about five or six and scrapped Crush off the met and pull him out before another could be delivered.

Crush was out for awhile and when he came back...he blamed Macho Man for nearly costing him his career...after they seemed to smooth things over, Crush hits him and then Yoko and Fugi and Cornette come down and all take turns mocking and beating on Savage.

Crush was now part of the stable and Macho Man had someone to fight for a change.

Macho Man actually had some excellent matches with Rick Martel after wrestlemania but they were usually on that friday night or saturday night wrestling program...can't remember the name.

Anyway...there is the story behind all that.

Board footer