You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: Axl on Stern from 1988

Tommie wrote:

One thing that really hit me was just how much Stern talked about Axl/GnR back in the day.  Off the top of my head one thing he said was while talking to Sam Kinison.  This was from when Stern was heavily feuding with Bon Jovi.  It went something like: "Sam, Bon Jovi's fans are 12 year old girls...your fans like Guns N' Roses". 

There was alot more mentions, but thats the only one I can think of at the moment.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Thanks a lot Faldor, If I remember right Stern mentions this interview in one of his books, and I've wanted to hear it for years.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Stern is a big GN'R fan, and continues to be to this day. Maybe not of the new Guns (I really don't know, he might love them), but certaintly of the old Guns.

I remember as recently as a few years ago, that I think he made a comment like he can only work out to AC/DC, Metallica, and Guns N' Roses. The music just moves and motivates him, it speaks to him.

Sky Dog wrote:

Howard is a really deep thinker....it takes alot to "move" him.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

A girl swallowing a full 13-inch kelbasa, is truely some of the most intellectual and enlightening discussion i've ever experienced.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

A girl swallowing a full 13-inch kelbasa, is truely some of the most intellectual and enlightening discussion i've ever experienced.

Have you ever been with a girl that could deepthroat?  Its a damn near religious experience.  16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'm a huge Howard Stern fan.  I bought Sirius when he moved over to satellite radio just for him, although I will say the music and other programming on there are fantastic and I NEVER listen to terrestrial radio anymore and I'll never go back as long as satellite radio exists. 

Anyway, I listen to the Stern show everyday and ever since I got my Stiletto last X-Mas and have been able to record the show I haven't missed a minute.  So I was listening today and Howard popped in on the Wrap Up Show (my apologies to people not familiar with the Stern show, this post may not make much sense to you).  Howard's been getting shit all week from fans, and he's gotten so fed up that he's told them they should cancel their subscriptions.  Someone called him up today all upset saying he wished that Howard would apologize for that and admit that he was just overreacting.  He felt slighted and that Howard didn't care about him (the fans).  Howard didn't budge though, he said he obviously appreciated his fans and without them he wouldn't be as successful as he is but if someone didn't want to listen anymore then he wasn't going to beg them to. 

Listening to it made me think of Axl and his contemptuous relationship with the fans.  I find a lot of similarities.  Obviously we know how much fans shit on Axl on a daily basis and he was man enough to talk to the fans and answer questions.  But at the same time, he's not gonna bow down and do everything the fans want him to do.  He's achieved stardom, he's not out to become a rock star.  He's been there done that.  Just like Howard become the "King of All Media".  Howard doesn't have as many listeners now as he used to since he moved to satellite, and Axl doesn't have as many fans since some familiar faces left.  People say Howard sold out and took the money by going to Sirius, just as people say Axl sold out and took the money by going with Best Buy.  I'm sure both would readily admit that the money was an obvious factor (Howard did today).  But at the same time there were a lot of other factors and in the case of Axl and Chinese Democracy.  He had been working on the album for 9+ years and was unable to release it for whatever reason.  Enter Gould/Azoff/Best Buy and we get the record we've been waiting so long for.  Mission accomplished right?  Nope.  People are complaining about the lack of promo, Best Buy, etc.  What's the point?  We got the album, can't we just be happy with that?  Of course not, we continue to complain.  We sure have a funny way of showing our appreciation.  So called fans rip Howard daily on the ironically titled Stern Fan Network.  He's been on that board and says he gets upset reading it thinking, these are my fans?  Just like people do to Axl on these boards.  We know he's lurked from time to time, I would imagine he's had similar thoughts. 

I just don't get it. maybe it's just easier to point out the negatives for some people.  I find it ungrateful and unfulfilling, but that's just me.  Sorry for the rambling but hearing Howard interact with so called "fans" today struck a chord with me.

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

You hit the nail right on the head. I completely agree with every word of your post. You can't make everyone happy. There will always, always be people who will complain about what their favorite musician/movie star/whatever is doing, or not doing. There's a forum for pretty much everything- what people are wearing, what so and so did with their hair, who's fat and who's lost too much weight. No one is ever happy. Bottom line. It's few and far between where you find a diehard fan who is there for everything. Who appreciate the mere fact that this person they admire is doing something, and doesn't give a flying you-know-what about the rest. I think it's always easier to harp on negative things, for whatever reason. It takes nerve to stand up for what you believe in. Because not everyone will always agree with you.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah I also heard on Sirius Octane today the DJ Kayla was saying there was some craziness going on between the band Shinedown and their fans.  Some sort of battle of words going on their message boards.  I guess it happens all over the place.  Again, I don't see the point of beating down your favorite artists, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but there's also the nature of fans on the total opposite side to not look at situations realistically, and get shit from other fans, for simply making astute observations and commentary on certain situations with their favorite artist.

There's a middle ground you have to hit. Provide constructive criticism, but be positive when it warrants it. You can't be full on one way or the other.

Board footer