You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Old WWF question...

Neemo wrote:

^ China's and Rock's books were alright

I heard  that Angle's book was decent but i haven't personally read it

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I haven't actually read either one, but I've heard Chris Jericho and Bret Hart's books are both really good.  It would be fairly impossible for Hart's to not be, and the Jericho book goes up until he joins WWF (if I remember correctly, like I said I just heard this or read an article somewhere), so it's all about his time in the indies/Japan, and all that jazz.  Which would be more interesting to me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I've all heard the highest praises for Bret Hart, Stone Cold, HBK, Foley & Bischoff's books.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Arn Anderson's book is great, but its way too short.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I forgot about Bret's. I definatly would like that one. Whats that documentary that was made around the time of the Montrael screwjob that followed Bret around? Thats a damn good one. I bought it on VHS about 10 years ago. I need to get that one out sometime.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I forgot about Bret's. I definatly would like that one. Whats that documentary that was made around the time of the Montrael screwjob that followed Bret around?

I read part of Bret's book at Border's a while back.  The interesting part was that he basically said that he lost his passion for wrestling after the Montreal screwjob.  It's extremely well-written.  Triple H and Shawn come off as major weasels after Montreal.  Apparently, the Undertaker really hated those two guys for a while after that.

NY Giants82 the name of the documentary is called Wrestling with Shadows.  I'm pretty sure I saw it on the A and E channel once.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

^^Yeah thats it. Its a great documentary, and if any of you guys havent seen it, get it!

GrizzDotCom
 Rep: 3 

GrizzDotCom wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Really? Its not in character is it?  I mean I always liked him as a wrestler, but on these WWE Bio DVDs, guys talk out of character, about "storylines", "angles" etc. and give a great insight, Arn is one of the few that ALWAYS stays in character and talks like the matches were real, and in this day and age, and considering he's the only guy on the DVDs doing it it looks plain crazy, its like he has this obsession with never breaking kayfabe.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
GrizzDotCom wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Really? Its not in character is it?  I mean I always liked him as a wrestler, but on these WWE Bio DVDs, guys talk out of character, about "storylines", "angles" etc. and give a great insight, Arn is one of the few that ALWAYS stays in character and talks like the matches were real, and in this day and age, and considering he's the only guy on the DVDs doing it it looks plain crazy, its like he has this obsession with never breaking kayfabe.

Yeah, he's about as 'old school' as it gets. He didn't really go in depth to how the industry works. The book seemed to be aimed at fans like myself who hold that 80's era in such high regard. He makes sure to leave most of the 'innocence' intact. My main issue with the book is that he ignores huge chunks of his career. He'll mention a specific period, but completely gloss over it and then move on to something else.

I would have loved to see an uncensored, no holds barred look behind the scenes of NWA/WCW in that mid 80's/early 90's time frame. Drug use(specifically cocaine) was rampant, as Tully admitted many years later. I also would have liked for him to elaborate on the "Dusty finish", and how that impacted all their careers.

I need to read Flair's book. I read Foley's first book, and it was great. I like to hear about the reality of the business that Foley talks about and not the fantasy land that used to be conveyed to the audience.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Since you guy's are mentioning WCW, WWE is going to release a best of Starcade DVD this tuesday.  The funny part is that Sting is on the cover (along with Flair and Dusty) since Vince bought the entire WCW archive collection along with the purchase of WCW. 

I can't imagine the reality of the business being pretty.  Long days on the road in shitty hotels and constant physical injuries must be the norm.  Didn't the "reality" of the business get exposed after the Benoit murders?

Board footer