You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: GNR go Gold

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

my only gripe with U2 is that the edge is the most one dimensional guitar player i have ever heard

IMO

I don't know. The Edge is pretty creative I think.  Yes he uses alot of effects but that's what he's into. He's not about big self indulgent solos or any of that stuff really. Sure he does solos but it's not what excites him.  You would never have an album like Achtung Baby with the type of guitar player that typically gets worshiped on a site like this or any other site dedicated to a hard rock band. I think calling The Edge one dimmensional is actually the furthest thing away from the truth of what he is.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

war wrote:

my only gripe with U2 is that the edge is the most one dimensional guitar player i have ever heard

IMO

The Edge is about as diverse a guitar player alive!  Heck, he even plays a mean banjo when the notion suits him:buckethead:

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

What a joke of a thread. You guys make U2 to be one of the best bands ever. Hahaha. They have one great song, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and that's it, imo. Get back on topic, ffs.

Congrats to GN'R for going Gold in under 2 months. Selling the album exclusively at Best Buy in the US will do that to a band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

What a joke of a thread. You guys make U2 to be one of the best bands ever. Hahaha. They have one great song, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and that's it, imo.

The majority of civilization would disagree with your assessment. They sell millions of records right out the gate and can sellout any stadium on the planet, usually within hours(or minutes). They don't have that position based on Sunday Bloody Sunday. Its based on great album after great album, decade after decade.

They are pretty much having the career and musical output GNR should have had.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

We are off topic though, you can't argue that.

I don't give a shit though. The most interesting stuff going on here in a while. Sure beats the dead horse we have been beating.

James

James wrote:

This site differs a bit from others regarding off topic banter. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the off topic banter isn't trollish in nature( one example being a discussion about CD and VR hounds pounce), I see nothing wrong with it. Also, this thread topic is pretty basic. CD went gold. Only so much you can say about it, and when an interesting off topic discussion is flowing and quite a few of the active members are participating, there's no reason to kill that discussion.

Also, I look at it this way....

In 'real life', if you were having a discussion about GNR(or anything), and you all of a sudden mentioned something else, would you like that person to tell you to 'get back on topic'?

I prefer a natural discussion, regardless of someone deeming it a "joke", no offense to brokenglass.

Go check out the 'big 3' sites. A thread will immediately turn into 10 or 20 people bitching at one another that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I'll take intelligent discussion over mindless cyber quarrels any day of the week.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

CD went GOLD!

So when do you think it'll go platinum?

Oh wait...

People can't discuss the topic at hand further, because it's never going to fucking happen, at least in the current climate.

CD went Gold, that it's pinnacle. Good for it, now on to U2...

James

James wrote:

Oh it'll go platinum. probably multi at some point, but there's not much that can be said at this point about it being gold.

If there's some super enlightening discussion going on somewhere about its gold status, someone post a link.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I think when the Best Buy Deal expires, u will see them maximize it by re releasing it with a new booklet, maybe throw a couple new tracks on it and then tour and do it right.

I think they sort of fucked Best Buy, having them buy that many albums and then profiting without helping much THEN once that deal is over, they start the real promotion thus doubling the cash efforts.

Pretty smart if they do it. I just don't want to hear how Axl is like a Coffee Shop Indy rocker that is all about the "art"

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

I think they sort of fucked Best Buy, having them buy that many albums and then profiting without helping much THEN once that deal is over, they start the real promotion thus doubling the cash efforts.

us gnr fans like to find excuses for them just like they do.

"when cd comes out gnr will rule the world" and that didn't happen

"the cd is gonna go platinum in 1-2 weeks" that didn't happen

then axl came out and we were: "when the better video comes out sales will increase" and the better video is still to come

and now we're waiting for the best buy deal to end hoping they will promote it and cash in. i doubt it big_smile

and my favorite is "afd didn't pick up in it's first year, either". but they toured afd and found a strong mainstream single. not happening with cd.

so, it will probably get platinum, but not anytime soon.

Board footer