You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH: 'It's Nobody's Right But Mine To Put My Art On The Int

BLS-Pride wrote:

SEBASTIAN BACH: 'It's Nobody's Right But Mine To Put My Art On The Internet' - Jan. 21, 2009
Former SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach has defended his practice of removing videos from YouTube that contain officially released recordings that he appears on.

A registered member of Bach's official message board who has used some of SKID ROW's music in his World Of Warcraft YouTube videos wrote in an online post that he received five e-mails from a YouTube representative saying that "a copyright owner has claimed content in one of your videos." Insisting that his YouTube clips were made "just for fun" and are nothing more than "just captures of a game" with music dubbed over them, the Bach/SKID ROW fan, who goes by the name "baranthalas", wrote, "What I would like to know is, is Bach or other guys in SKID ROW are in charge of copyright issues of SKID ROW songs? Because in my videos songs like 'Slave To The Grind' or 'Livin' On A Chain Gang' are perfect! . . . I want to use those songs [in] my movies. So help me out, who should I send [an] email [to regarding] this issue?"

In response to "baranthalas"' question, Bach wrote in the same thread, "This is so crazy to me. I know you don't mean any harm in using my music for your videos, but what every person under 30, it seems like, doesn't realize: we make our living by making music. No one has the right but us, the musicians, to upload our music to the Internet! It is so insane to me that anyone even wants to be in a band anymore sometimes. If you upload our song to your site, why would someone go buy the CD? If they can go to your site and hear it for free? It's absolutely unbelievable. It's also like beating your head against a wall.

"If I see any 'Roadrage' [a film by Sebastian Bach which was included in last summer's limited-edition 'Angel Down' CD/DVD package], 'Angel Down', 'Forever Wild' [Bach's official DVD], 'Jesus Christ Superstar', 'Jekyll & Hide', anything that I did not consent to be on the Internet, I have it taken down. It's nobody's right but mine to put my art on the Internet. Bootlegs are different. They are not supposed to be professional-looking or sounding, so I don't really care so much about that. But if I put a CD out or a DVD, and put my name on it, it makes me furious to see it all being given away for free and there is next to nothing I can do about it.

"Ace [referring to another registered member of the Bach message board, Acekicken, who in November 2008 launched a 'countdown' to the release of Sebastian's next studio album], you know that countdown you got goin'? Add about another 10 years onto that, because it's shit like this that make me and a lot of other musicians say, 'Fuck this.' No one has intentionally done anything wrong; it's just assumed these days if you make music than it should be free. This does NOT exactly make us all run skip and jump into the studio as quick as we can. It's like the dude in THE WHITE STRIPES said: 'Playing music now is like being a carpenter and all the work has left town.'

"I would suggest if you want music for your video game videos, learn how to play an instrument, write a song, record it, and use it in your video. Because I have to feed my children and pay my bills with mine."

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

Holy shit!  Will somebody please pinch me please!  Hell has frozen over yet again!  A piece about Baz and no mention whatsoever about Axl.  I must've missed it!  Is it even possible?!

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I'll never criticise a musician for bitching about people downloading their music.  I've done it plenty of times, but they're right, it's taking a product that's meant to be sold and getting it for free.

This is ridiculous though, all his music over some videos on youtube is going to do is help expose some people to his music who might not have otherwise come across it.  It will help not hurt.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Bach is an idiot. What he doesn't seem to realize is that without these youtube videos featuring his music nobody will even hear his music. He's so irrelevant he should actually be thanking the guy who's using his material. Bach is getting free promo and there's a chance someone who hears it will like it and then go buy his albums. If they don't like it oh well. But either way NOBODY is buying Bach's albums. The guy probably has a better chance of selling albums by having people upload his music onto youtube.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I'll never criticise a musician for bitching about people downloading their music.  I've done it plenty of times, but they're right, it's taking a product that's meant to be sold and getting it for free.

This is ridiculous though, all his music over some videos on youtube is going to do is help expose some people to his music who might not have otherwise come across it.  It will help not hurt.

I ain't criticizing him cause he bitches about people downloading him.  I agree with him on that.  I just humorized about how it's the first time in like years that he hasn't mentioned Axl and or GNR.  Quite an accomplishement.  And I agree with Bono.  By not allowing his music to play on youtube, he is basically asking that his music will never be heard.  Where I disagree with Bono is that Baz is not an idiot for doing so.  He is being nice.  NOBODY will hear his music and that is the greatest news of the day folks!  Cause aside from Skid Row he basically released only crap.  So thanks Baz for doing us a favor and a favor to our ears.  We all ow you one.  13

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Acekicken, didn't he used to be a member here or at ROV?

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Don't recall him.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Musicians refuse to 'get it'.

100% of the people that listen to their 'art' for free... would not go purchase their music one way or the other. If you're a fan, you're still gonna buy the record.

If they're in it for the money, I understand. We all gotta make money. But understand, the landscape has changed. The public has now deemed that music is NO LONGER a monetarily-valuable good. It's either cheap or free.

The artists I love, I still buy the record. I drove across two counties to get Chinese Democracy. But internet has also been beneficial in revealing weaknesses in the purchases. I can honestly say, after seeing Bach live in 2006, I was pumped for Angel Down's release... then I heard it on the internet. I listened to a few tracks, streaming, and turned it off. The shittiness of the music being revealed to me ahead of time, cost them a sale.

Internet downloads have also been beneficial to artists in a way too. Just out of pure example - Buckethead. Here's a fabulous artist, that you're not able to just walk into any store and buy their record, or sample through listening machines. Free downloads, along with internet sales, have led to massive cult following. This is something Trent Reznor understands with NIN, and why I continue to think he's a visionary when it comes to marketing.

You either stay ahead of the curve, and learn to adapt, or you sit back and kick the back of the car seat, screaming like a child. Bach, like other artists, can either adapt, or be left on the porch. If it's not financially viable enough for him enough to do it anymore, than I guess it wasn't art after all - it was a paycheck.

I'm not saying he's wrong. But fighting the YouTube war, and bitching is a total waste of your time, seriously - as a friend i'm saying that, not as an asshole Baz.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Bono wrote:

Bach is an idiot. What he doesn't seem to realize is that without these youtube videos featuring his music nobody will even hear his music. He's so irrelevant he should actually be thanking the guy who's using his material. Bach is getting free promo and there's a chance someone who hears it will like it and then go buy his albums. If they don't like it oh well. But either way NOBODY is buying Bach's albums. The guy probably has a better chance of selling albums by having people upload his music onto youtube.

I agree with this right here.

Putting his songs on youtube is NOT the same as uploading them on your site for anyone to download.  He used clips of songs.  People watch those vids with the clips (watch, not download), and then if they like the song, they may go out and look up more stuff by Bach.  Then if they like that they may go and buy the album, or at the very least download it. 

Either way, he gets more promo.  Let's say Baz goes on tour.  Since that person likes him, they may go and see Baz in concert, maybe even pick up some merch while they are there. 

Sebastian Bach is not exactly a household name with the younger generations, so he could really use all the 'new age' promo he can get.  Plus the fact that he's now so old it's almost cool to dress like him again... that really means he needs to get with the times and accept this.  He does own the music the kid used, but he needs to look at both sides of the picture.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
bigbri wrote:

i remember him too but i don't know from where. i have only posted on htgth and rov  so he was at one of them at one point.

as far as what sebastian bach says, i kind of agree with him. and you can make fun of him that nobody listens to his music but you all know that's not entirely true. skid row are quite popular, maybe his solo work is not so but it's still his work. and maybe that's what you seem to forget, that it's his way of putting food on the table. he gets paid for his music.
i download music for free, of course. and it would be great if i had the money to buy all the albums i like. and if starting tomorrow i wouldn't be able to download music for free that would suck. but i understand where he stands.

and axlin08, would you "get it" if you would work hard for a month and when the paycheck comes in they would be "sorry, your work is being reproduced for free and we don't have any benefit from that so, good luck to you"?

Board footer