You are not logged in. Please register or login.

warriorpriestess
 Rep: 5 

Re: Read any good books lately?

Sharon Osbourne's autobiography (Extreme) was EXCELLENT. imho.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:

the flanders panel by arturo perez-reverte. fucking brilliant. loved it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

finished a fantasy book called Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Read Beedle the Bard (Harry Potter Companion)

and started Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Sixx's book was alright...he's a fucked up dude..a few GnR mentions in there

I'm reading "The Dirt" now

ShoGunslinger
 Rep: 1 

"2666" by Roberto Balono, Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy and am 300 pages away from finally getting through Stephen King's "IT".

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Just yesterday, I finished reading "Slash" all the way through.

VERY interesting read. Although his timeline seems to be amiss at times, and I think his perception on Izzy is wrong, but then again I don't know Izzy, he does, so...

I also think at times he sounds like a classic druggie. I can't count how many times in the book he says "but I never let drugs get in the way of what I was doing". How does he know? Several times seemed like near misses with him, and regardless his behavior was absolutely reckless. No wonder Axl was trying to line his ducks in a row, in case Slash did do something crazy, like die, or sabotage the band with his addictions. They'd already ran into the problem with Steven. Then he sits back in the book, and talks about the bad road Axl went and chose to go down, when he's been in and out of rehab, and gained a Rx addiction in the early-2000's, and it seems because he has a platinum album, and a couple kids, his life is a success, and Axl's isn't? That was the biggest laughable moment in the whole book. Pot meet kettle. If anybody looked worse, it was the man WITH kids, irresponsibly still acting like a child.

It also looked even worse on him imo, with the confession of the 'showing up at Axl's house' incident. Axl's Press Release on that whole bizarre incident, was fuckin' lame, weak, and spineless. To this day, I don't understand it. But Slash straight up should've said "yes I went there to work things out, but it was spun and overblown.  I was trying to be a friend to Axl, and trying to right a wrong in both of our lives. It was he who spit in my face, when I extended the olive branch". That's what he should've said, WHEN it happened. But no, he lied about it happening for awhile, then later confessed to it, which leads me to believe Axl's (or is it Beta?) side of that story, definitely. He was drunk, and showed up at Axl's house. No more, no less. And people expect to think Axl should feel Slash's changed in the last 15 years? Why? That incident was full proof of the drama that is involved in dealing with SLASH. Not Axl. Slash's recollection of the ownership of the band name was very sketchy, and the timeline was all wrong, compared to past statements, which also leads me to believe Axl's recent comments - it's all bullshit, never happened.

Now that I hit the Stone Cold Stunner on Slash... on to the positive. Slash's chronical of GN'R is truely amazing, and a great read, and I greatly appreciate it as a fan. Everything from his childhood with rock stars, to meeting the rest of the band, to his history with Steven, to he and Izzy breakin' the chicks in (\m/), to all the issues with the band. Truely a MUST for any Guns N' Roses fan.

I can only hope that one day Axl does a book like this. As my overall feeling reading "Slash" and comparing it to statements from Axl, is that the overall truth, definitely lies somewhere in the middle.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

the flanders panel by arturo perez-reverte. fucking brilliant. loved it.

I read this years ago and enjoyed it even though I don't know how to play chess.  Did you ever read the club dumas by the same author?  The Ninth Gate was based on this book.

Currently, I'm reading The Seventh Sacrament by David Hewson.  It's a police procedural set in Italy.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

finished the dirt....the part about vince's daughter was really fucking sad shit...holy crap i couldnt barely get through it

anyway i just picked up "catcher in the rye" and "fight club", also trying to get through "gravity's rainbow"

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Catcher In The Rye is great. Picked it up on the return of a Mu Alpha Theta trip and read it in about 7 hours or so. Kinda scared me cause I think alot like Holden.

Board footer