You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: Obesity 'Virus' Spread Like Common Cold, Scientists Say

Tommie wrote:

Obesity 'Virus' Spread Like Common Cold, Scientists Say
Monday , January 26, 2009

3_61_o320.jpg

Obesity can be "caught" as easily as a common cold from other people's coughs, sneezes and dirty hands, scientists are set to declare today.

The condition has been linked to a highly-infectious virus which causes sniffles and sore throats.

Professor Nikhil Dhurandhar said the virus, known as AD-36, infects the lungs then whisks around the body, forcing fat cells to multiply and also causing sore throats.

"When this virus goes to fat tissue it replicates, making more copies of itself and in the process increases the number of new fat cells, which may explain why the fat tissue expands and why people get fat when they are infected with this virus," Dhurandhar said.

In one test, a third of obese people had the rare and highly contagious virus compared to just 11 percent of thinner people. Weight gain can last three months until the body has built up resistance to the bug.

New research supports earlier theories from studies on weight gain; evidence in tests on mice and chickens shows the bug could cause overweight people to gain weight.

"People could be fat for reasons other than viral infections, so it’s pointless for fat people to try to avoid infection," said Dhurandhar.

The study also reveals research claiming dieters always feel hungry because humans have a "natural body weight" and they will always suffer hunger pangs.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482788,00.html

-----------------------------

I may be showing my immaturity, but I find that picture hilarious.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

ah one more excuse for the fat lazy bastards of the world..."its not my fault, im big boned, its in my genes and i have a virus"

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Also more excuses for companies to make drugs to treat it, insurance companies to get your money to cover, doctors to get more patients to diagnose ...

Thanks, science.

It's like ADD or ADHD. Didn't exist 20 years ago, now it's a "discovery" that's put hundreds of billions of dollars in the pockets of people other than you and me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Listen some people do have poor genetics, that lend to them being fat.

Can't we just move on?

Skinny people stop bitching, fat people stop bitching, and let's just move the fuck on. God how I don't care. Some people are skinny, some are fat, I don't give a flying fuck, seriously.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

For me, Its only the fat people who sit on their ass all-day watching springer bitching about how they cant lose weight while stuffin a chocolate eclair in their mouth.. im not skinny, nor am I fat tho I would be if I didnt get off my backside once in a while (every morning)
My sister in law used to be huge and she lost so much weight through good eating and fitness she had to have surgery to tidy up the left over flab..  no such thing as "Cant"

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

There isn't, but just because someone DOESN'T lose weight, doesn't mean we should treat them like trash, and consider them lazy.

I've seen plenty of MASSIVE people in my life, that were hard workers, and they rewarded their hard work with the worst vices, fatty foods, cappucino's, booze, & cigs. Still didn't mean they weren't a hard worker.

Seriously, and i'm saying this as the God's honest truth. Laziness is a STATE OF MIND. All of those 'lazy fat fucks', if they were to lose ALL of their weight.. guess what? They'd still be just as fuckin' lazy.

My dad has been nearly 300 pounds my entire life, and i've never seen a human being work harder. I wish I had half of his work ethic.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Man I am so glad I haven't caught THIS cold! 16

I feel sorry for that chair. 16  (sorry, couldn't help it)

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Man I am so glad I haven't caught THIS cold! 16

I feel sorry for that chair. 16  (sorry, couldn't help it)

Yeah that chair doesn't stand a chance! 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I wish I was that chair. I'd get all up in that ass.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I wish I was that chair. I'd get all up in that ass.

You're a braver man than I. 16

Board footer