You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Old WWF question...

James wrote:
GrizzDotCom wrote:

Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan
Madison Square Garden - November 30, 1991

That would be interesting simply to see how much potential there truly was at the time for that event. Maybe that's why Mcmahon failed to pull the trigger on this dream match....it was attempted at house shows but failed for whatever reason.

I've been going though some of my "older" WWE dvds in the last week (partly thanks to this thread!), and I got to thinking about how cool "Primetime" was. I loved that show. It was a 2 hour show on Monday nights on USA, before Raw debuted. I remember it being kind of late, so I would have to tape it and watch it when I got home from school the next day. I believe that showed some house show matches, had cool "round table" type discussions. I love that stuff.

One of the greatest wrestling shows in history. One of the things I loved about the show was they repeated the few key matches from the Saturday programs in case you missed them. I remember how their main event was either non title matches or a rather odd combination of matches. It was much later that I realized these were known as 'house shows' and that all those matches were literally meaningless.

I actually think this show played a hefty role in the ratings for the Saturday shows declining, because you didn't miss any of the good stuff by avoiding weekend wrestling. If all you cared about was a main event and seeing Hogan/insert star here doing an interview segment, you got to see it on Monday.

Too bad this show was the only time this format was used. Heenan and Monsoon were perfect.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I can't believe how in depth you guys are going on this. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a huge fan mainly during the 1996-2000 time period. The Undertaker is my favorite wrestler but I flat out don't pay any attention to WWE anymore and haven't for a number of years. Right around the time that Vince bought WCW and you had a huge influx of WCW guys into WWE is when I started losing interest. I enjoyed WCW as its own thing, but for whatever reason the combination of the two just didn't work for me. Stone Cold was a badass and I'm not sure why he ended up leaving the business. That guy was probably the most compelling wrestler ever outside of Hogan and Undertaker.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

T

he Undertaker is my favorite wrestler but I flat out don't pay any attention to WWE anymore and haven't for a number of years.

I don't pay attention as closely as I used to either.  I think its the people they currently push as the main event stars--Cena and Orton--that turns me off.  They just aren't as talented in the ring or on the mic as the guys of yesteryear.  Personally, I can't remember the last time I watched a RAW show in its entirety from start to finish.  I think the fact that interviews and angles replacing wrestling might have something to do with that.  I still watch PPVS though and they still deliver for the most part.  The PPV this month featuring the Elimination Chamber looks good.

Right around the time that Vince bought WCW and you had a huge influx of WCW guys into WWE is when I started losing interest. I enjoyed WCW as its own thing, but for whatever reason the combination of the two just didn't work for me.

I think they botched that "Invasion" storyline big time.  WCW's demise hurt wrestling fans in general since it took out the primary competitor for WWE and hurt the WWE product in the long run.  The stuff that has been wriitten since 2001 has been nowhere near as edgy or interesting since the prime years of the Monday Night Wars from about 1997-late 1999.  Why bother working as hard when you know you're the only game in town?

Stone Cold was a badass and I'm not sure why he ended up leaving the business. That guy was probably the most compelling wrestler ever outside of Hogan and Undertaker.

The injuries ended his in-ring career for one thing.  His neck got injured in a 1997 match with Owen Hart when Owen botched a tombstone piledriver.  He also had multiple knee injuries which didn't help matters.  He also had issues with McMahon which caused him to leave the company at least twice.  In 2002, he didn't want to job to Brock Lesnar and left the company.  He came back later in 2003 as an on screen character.  At Cyber Sunday 2005 he was scheduled to lose to Jonathan Coachman in a match but he left a week or two prior to the event and was replaced by Batista.  Eventually he returned as both sides hammered out their issues.  He has made a ton of money over the years and has no financial interest to return to the ring and I'm not sure he could physically do it if he wanted to anyway.  He spends most of his time making movies for the WWE branch--I think he negotiated that into his last contract following the dispute.  Hope this answers your questions.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

According to Austin, he could wrestle for 2 full straight years still, if he had to.

He don't have to.

He makes, MORE money than Hogan on merchandise through the WWE, coupled with the fact he signed a lucrative, undisclosed 'lifetime' contract with Vince. Austin is sitting on a pile of cash. Instead of spending his fortunes on mansions and cool cars, like Hogan, Austin lives is a regular nice suburban home with a nice pickup truck, and put the rest of his money in the bank and in investments.

He's gonna 'Axl' his way through the rest of his life.

Austin is sitting in an interesting position. His 'star' is captured in history, because of how his career ended. Austin could come out of retirement, easily, for 'one final match', and all Austin has to do is sit back, wait for the right match (Austin/Hogan) or another Austin/Rock match, let Vince through a shitload of money at him, and all he has to do is show up and work it for an hour. Which will also cause his merch to go up in profits.

The man is amazingly set, more so than most wrestlers. Austin's up there with The Rock, HHH & JBL in the "smartest financial guys in the business" category.

GrizzDotCom
 Rep: 3 

GrizzDotCom wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
GrizzDotCom wrote:

Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan
Madison Square Garden - November 30, 1991

That would be interesting simply to see how much potential there truly was at the time for that event. Maybe that's why Mcmahon failed to pull the trigger on this dream match....it was attempted at house shows but failed for whatever reason.

Well I'll be getting the DVD when it comes out over here in April, so I'll upload the match to a torrent site for anyone who is interested big_smile

On the subject of Heenan's greatness, I implore anyone to watch the classic 1992 Royal Rumble and argue that Heenan doesn't deserve as much credit as Flair for that match being a classic.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great thread guys.

My favourite WWE show was one I used to have on VHS that I've now lost. It was a "Saturday Night's Main Event" held prior to Wrestlemania 3.

Matches I remember on it were:

20 Man Battle Royal with Hogan and Andre
Jake the Snake  vs King Kong Bundy
Savage vs George the Animal
Steamboat vs Sheik ( i think...long time ago now!)
Heart Foundation with Danny Davis  vs someone like usa express or something

Pretty odd school...which i hadn't lost it!

GrizzDotCom

GrizzDotCom wrote:

^ I have the Special Edition of Wrestlemania III on DVD, it has a fair bit of that SNME stuff  as extras:

http://www.silvervision.co.uk/products/ … Discs.html

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

T

he Undertaker is my favorite wrestler but I flat out don't pay any attention to WWE anymore and haven't for a number of years.

I don't pay attention as closely as I used to either.  I think its the people they currently push as the main event stars--Cena and Orton--that turns me off.  They just aren't as talented in the ring or on the mic as the guys of yesteryear.

I would blame management/writing much more than the wrestlers themselves.  I've seen it said many times that Vince McMahon knows exactly what he wants and that's what he's gonna do.  The only reason he waffled on that/loosened his reigns in the late 90's was because he was getting his ass handed to him by WCW. 

Now he has no competition, and there are a ton of die hards who will keep watching no matter what, plus storylines/charecters that the traditional wrestling fan might not like might draw in fans. 

For example, I've heard a lot of people hate John Cena.  I don't pay attention enough to know why, but I know my nephews and some of my c-workers kids absolutely love him, and they buy way more action figures and t-shirts than older "smarter" fans.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

John Cena is the Hulk Hogan of his generation

He's a product to move T-shirts, action figures, and an image.

He's not the working man's favorite, like a Bret Hart, or a Stone Cold. Austin only became what he became because the public demanded it. His skyrocket was actually something, admittedly, McMahon did not expect.

GrizzDotCom

GrizzDotCom wrote:

^ Exactly, hate Cena all you want but he is the biggest merch seller, hence they don't turn him heel, when they eventually do, after all these years, it could be Hogan-esque in shock value, well at least compared to most turns these days.

Board footer