You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Setlists: UYI Tour vs CD tours

Neemo wrote:
Axl, St. Louis-1991 wrote:

I’ll tell ya a little bit about this show. We’re... There might be a delay between different songs cuz we just have this big fucking list and we pick which song we’re gonna play next as we go to see how it feels best with you. That way we don’t get bored and you don’t go, “…and I saw that show in…Toledo!” Fuck that shit! Also, we’ll be playing a lot of new stuff seeing as how you people have waited a really long time for the album to come out. And it’d be kind a really pussy-ish thing to do to come out here and play Appetite for Destruction, its kinda like jerkin’ off.

ok....so somewhere along the line Axl got enough pressure to worry more about the record label's interests more than the fans wildest dreams. I know that some will think that this topic has been done to death, but you know how things in gnr land come full circle 16 now that the album is out do we think that any future tours will follow a more loose format as far as setlists go? or is there issues somewhere in the band now that require a somewhat more structured program?

Axl, RiR III, 2001 wrote:

y'know, we've only done one show before this and already we have been critisized for playing the old songs. but i have no intention, and i never did, of denying you of something you enjoy. And i thought it was only fair for you to see that this new band can play the fuck out of these songs. Its' very hard to ask a musician to learn to play the part or parts played by other musician's before them. these guys here have worked very hard.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

That big mouthed "Hanson" kid will need to get used to playing the old songs live so theres one more excuse to play em..  I still think however, imo Axl wrote songs (C.D) he cant sing live.. which maybe another reason to play AFD to death..

Hey, if they are on the lookout for guitarists, why not do it american idol style!! They can rehash the fucker every year too, when the guy leaves!!
ok i am taking the piss..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, Axl has always contradicted himself in regards to setlists and the reliance on AFD. Its the main reason I never understood the hostility in 2006 when fans were bitching about the setlist. One minute they say "stop living in the past", the next minute they're drowning in 1987.

IF they tour I highly doubt we see a CD heavy setlist. The album isn't in much demand, and its simply safer for him to stick to the classics. The two singles(and upcoming third) are songs he has performed for 8 years. Those will obviously be there(and maybe Shackler's Revenge because of Rock Band), but anything else is just a guess and I doubt it varies much from 2007.

We wont know until they hit the stage, and whatever setlist that is will become the standard.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Back in the UYI days GNR was the most dangerous band in the world.  One of, if not the biggest bands in the world.  They could pretty much do anything they wanted to and get away with it.  They had just released a double album, so they had 28 new songs to choose from to go along with their earlier catalog.  I don't think I have to tell you that GNR is no longer the biggest band in the world.  And right now they only have 14 new songs to choose from, and whatever other songs the new lineup has rehearsed, mostly AFD.  So I would expect more of the same.  They may branch out a little more and play SOME more new songs, but for the most part I think most of the people who attend GNR shows want to hear most of AFD with a bit of UYI mixed in.  People would probably actually prefer more UYI than CD songs, but I don't think it would make any sense to add UYI songs over the new material. 

I can sort of see your point mick about the new songs being kind of hard for Axl to sing live, but I'm sure he'd do just fine.  I think TWAT is real tough with all those high notes towards the end and the almost nonstop first 2 verses, but he did fine with the song the 2 times they performed it.  It wasn't perfect, for sure, but I think it worked fine.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well the quote from axl in stlouis was before the albums came out...or were even "finished" and from the UYI's we wee that there was 30 songs....from Axl's 06 RS interview he says they are working on 32 songs with 26 nearly finished...so really they have more material now than they did in 1991 tongue 16 its not about how big they were it's axl's suposed i dont give a shit rock in roll attitude that I'm talking aobut

and yeah i know gnr isnt as much in demand these days as they were in 1991 19

faldor

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well the quote from axl in stlouis was before the albums came out...or were even "finished" and from the UYI's we wee that there was 30 songs....from Axl's 06 RS interview he says they are working on 32 songs with 26 nearly finished...so really they have more material now than they did in 1991 tongue 16 its not about how big they were it's axl's suposed i dont give a shit rock in roll attitude that I'm talking aobut

and yeah i know gnr isnt as much in demand these days as they were in 1991 19

I hear you, but I think that plays into it a lot.  I don't think Axl could get away with playing nearly all unheard or unreleased material these days at shows like he did when GNR ruled the world.  Fans would be outraged and in a frenzy if they didn't hear Jungle or Paradise City and instead were treated to "The General" and "Jackie Chan (or whatever)".  It would get a lot of buzz on the forums, but as Axl said, he's not playing for some guy sitting at home at his computer in Iowa.  He's playing for the people that paid to go to the shows.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

There was massive demand to hear those UYI tracks before release. There would have been riots had they stuck to an AFD/Lies setlist with KOHD and Civil War thrown in. Anyone here who didn't experience it can simply go watch some bootlegs. Piss breaks weren't being taken during the new material.

When I went, I didn't give a shit about hearing Brownstone or Nightrain. I wanted to hear Dust N Bones, DTJ, NR, and Estranged.

I actually agree that a setlist more heavy on UYI than CD is likely. Now that he has closed the door on a reunion, there's no point in sheltering a massive chunk of the discography for a rainy day.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

There was massive demand to hear those UYI tracks before release. There would have been riots had they stuck to an AFD/Lies setlist with KOHD and Civil War thrown in. Anyone here who didn't experience it can simply go watch some bootlegs. Piss breaks weren't being taken during the new material.

When I went, I didn't give a shit about hearing Brownstone or Nightrain. I wanted to hear Dust N Bones, DTJ, NR, and Estranged.

I actually agree that a setlist more heavy on UYI than CD is likely. Now that he has closed the door on a reunion, there's no point in sheltering a massive chunk of the discography for a rainy day.

Good point.  Maybe instead of MOST of AFD, they'd replace 4 or 5 of those songs with UYI tracks.  I'd expect them to at least play the same amount of CD songs if not more now that the album is out, anywhere from 5-7 songs.  I wouldn't expect it to be CD heavy though.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The UYI shows were the best, when it concerns setlists. 1991 was hardcore, with all kinds of different shit each night. 1992 was bit more standard-ized, and 1993 brought back something different with the acoustic sets.

But for the most part the CD shows (2001-02 / 2006-07) has been the same old same old, through and through.

The shows I attended in 2006 showed an audience, very receptive to the AFD songs, and less receptive to the CD songs. Axl obviously knows this. The bottom line is AFD is GNR's most popular album by far, and that's the album to sell tix, they are going to rely on.

It's a shame really. I understand the standards, but I could see Michelle, Rocket Queen, and yes, even Sweet Child O' Mine - being retired, also Patience from Lies.

I'd just like to see more UYI stuff, maybe Perfect Crime, Dead Horse, Civil War, Yesterdays, and/or Estranged would be cool, along with some DIFFERENT CD songs. Maybe not new ones, but I think we ALL can agree that if CD, Riad, Street of Dreams & Madagascar were retired at this point, no one would be belly-achin'.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

As much as I would love, as well as most of you, an ever changing set list, like the early 90s, it could never happen. The common fan wants to hear the old stuff, and by that I mean the hits, not Perfect Crime and Bad Obsession.

I do think its possible to add some songs like Civil War, Don't Cry, and hopefully Estranged to the set list. Bring Estranged back, and I'll be happier than a pig in shit!

Board footer