You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Favorite Guitar Solos

Can't beleive we haven't had a thread like this before but I couldn't find one.

So what's your favourite guitar solo of all time?

Slash gets a mention from me, not very original but he's not an icon for nothing. His first solo on NR or an Estranged is his best for me.

My favourite though is Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. First time I heard that song it moved me like no other song had before or since, and the solo is just incredible, it's perfect. I was recently pointed in the direction of the Pink Floyd Pulse show and the guitar solo from Comfortably Numb at that show is hands down the greatest solo I've ever heard.

AtariLegend wrote:

Gilmour's finest moment & greatest haircut.

Not the greatest technical achievement of all time... but certainly hair-raising.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This song absolutely floors me. I'm not much of a youtube user at all, but when I check the site I don't leave without watching this footage.

The song is amazing, and he always plays it a bit differently, and each version kicks just as much ass as the others.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

dunno if htis qualifies but from about 4:00 to the 6:55 mark is pretty fucking awesome...Metallica - Orion

pure solo.....Pantera - Floods

got tons of favorite solos though..... 11

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Orion's always qualified by my standards. 5

Not the best solo by Tipton/Downing, at least in terms of technical proficiency, but one of my favorites:

2:12-3:02

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Von wrote:

Orion's always qualified by my standards.

was just referring to the Bass Solo followed by Hammett...followed by some harmonizing, then another Hammett solo the whole damn song is a solo 16

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

So many good ones, I'll try to narrow them down:

GNR: "Estranged"
GNR: "November Rain"
Metallica: "The Call of Ktulu"
Pantera: "Floods"
Ted Nugent: "Stranglehold"
Ozzy: "Goodbye to Romance"
Stevie Ray Vaughan: "Texas Flood"
Jimi Hendrix: "All Along the Watchtower"

Sorry, its hard to narrow so many greats down!

Sky Dog wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Gilmour's finest moment & greatest haircut.

Not the greatest technical achievement of all time... but certainly hair-raising.

he, I have that on DVD...HUGE and awesome bass work from Waters.:rock:

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I know you guys will probably think these are boring as fuck(maybe not though) and I'm not even sure if you'd qualify them as guitar solos but my favorite guitar solos have always been the sublime ones. Less is more for me when it comes to solos. There isn't much to these but they are all so amazingly perefect for the song. I lose myself in these "solos"

Anyways The Edge's solo in If You Wear That Velvet Dress always comes to my mind instantly.
2:30 - 3:21

as well as Dan Murphy's(Soul Asylum) solo on I Did My Best
1:53-2:19

Another is Robert Smith's(The Cure) solo in the song Treasure
2:25 - 2:51
[youtube]jLeVAG7xunA&feature=related[/youtube]

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61k041I4aEo This song absolutely floors me. I'm not much of a youtube user at all, but when I check the site I don't leave without watching this footage.

The song is amazing, and he always plays it a bit differently, and each version kicks just as much ass as the others.

James I have this video favorited on my youtube account. Again less is more for me and this is a killer sublime song.

To be honest I have never looked too much into Bucketheads stuff other than youtubeing his videos. Does he have any albums that stay true to this style as wella s the video you posted for the majoity of the album? I wouldn't mind getting one if he does but I'm not into the 100 MPH solos and real heavy stuff. For example I think Soothsayer is awesome untill about 4:15 when he goes off for about 35 seconds and then again at the 6:00 and again at about teh 7:00 mark and so on and so on 16. For me that kind of stuff adds absolutely nothing to the song and just sounds like soloing for the sake of it. Just not my style but I get lots of people love it.

Board footer