You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Coma
 Rep: 11 

Re: Guns N Roses planning Summer '09 tour?

Coma wrote:
bigbri wrote:

, what are you guys smokin'?

let me think....... a tree, a car, a bus, a building, the computer, a television, the keyboards, the entire discography of ac dc, a bed, the sofa and my house  ...... oh and a cigarette big_smile

21 21

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

GNR opening for Metallica?

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

U2 & GNR - its a trip alright as Axl is a big fan of U2s work and I think CD would be more to that age groups taste.
HOWEVER - will he go on stage in time so that U2 get their set done?
Will the promoters take the risk?

U2 & Metallica
The crowd may not welcome too much CD.

Personally I'm only bothered is the set list haslots of CD and some UYI.
Bored shitless of the older stuff now..

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

U2 have a MASSIVE stage setup...massive...to have another band of headlining status play with them on THEIR stage would be just weird....i can just imagine Axl running around a massive rotating lemon or something like that....plus U2 dont need Axl to fill up a stadium...Axl could use them though...but it aint happening...

he's better off with booking a tour with Velvet Revolver than he is with U2...

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
elmir wrote:

plus U2 dont need Axl to fill up a stadium...Axl could use them though...but it aint happening...

Point taken.

U2 don't need GN'R to sell-out stadiums (not to mention that they wouldn't tolerate Axl's primadonna antics)

Metallica don't need GN'R to sell-out stadiums

Rolling Stones don't need GN'R to sell-out stadiums

AC/DC don't need GN'R to sell-out stadiums.

The only band that needs other big names to sell-out stadiums is GN'R. But Axl will not open for anyone  - or he'll leave his 'habit' of being 3 hours late behind?

The only big name band that would have hard time selling out a stadium beside GN'R is Aerosmith. But since their fan base is really similar, I don't see them doing a full stadium tour together.

Anyway, it's not more than a dream of someone who's so far of reality that cannot even do a simple math. CD sold like 500,000 in the US. It means like ten stadium shows with 50,000 attenders at each. Won't happen cause the US is a little bigger than having a chance for such a 'concentrated fan base'.
GN'R was bigger before CD came out - if the GH success didn't make them sell-out arenas, I don't see how they could after a failed comeback. GN'R can do like 3 festivals in Europe and that's it. No stadium tour. It's not 1991-1993 anymore.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Mikkamakka wrote:
elmir wrote:

plus U2 dont need Axl to fill up a stadium...Axl could use them though...but it aint happening...

Point taken.

U2 don't need GN'R to sell-out stadiums (not to mention that they wouldn't tolerate Axl's primadonna antics)

The only band that needs other big names to sell-out stadiums is GN'R. But Axl will not open for anyone  - or he'll leave his 'habit' of being 3 hours late behind?

The only big name band that would have hard time selling out a stadium beside GN'R is Aerosmith. But since their fan base is really similar, I don't see them doing a full stadium tour together.

Anyway, it's not more than a dream of someone who's so far of reality that cannot even do a simple math. CD sold like 500,000 in the US. It means like ten stadium shows with 50,000 attenders at each. Won't happen cause the US is a little bigger than having a chance for such a 'concentrated fan base'.
GN'R was bigger before CD came out - if the GH success didn't make them sell-out arenas, I don't see how they could after a failed comeback. GN'R can do like 3 festivals in Europe and that's it. No stadium tour. It's not 1991-1993 anymore.

None of the bands you mentioned need anyone to sell out stadiums, but they'll still get acts to go on before them, and having GNR as an opener is a bigger draw than a lot of the acts they could have to open. However I still don't see GNR being flat out openers for anyone. Axl was a god in the early 90's, GNR eclipsed pretty much anyone else at the time, would Axl now settle for opening for bands he was at one time much bigger than? It may be a necessary reality if he wants to play stadiums but is it one he'd embrace? The only band I think GNR would be flat out openers for is the Stones. Otherwise its co-headlining or sole headliners imo. Not that I see GNR selling out stadiums as sole headliners, not in the US at least.   

Then again Axl has one of the smartest men in music behind him, Azoffs no fool. He won't be setting GNR up for a massive fall if he can help it, therefore I can only assume they have a bigger gameplan than just 'we'll play stadiums this year'. Azoff says it'll be a good year for GNR, and what he's said so far has been not far off the mark. So I await with interest to see what he and the band may have up their sleeve.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

very true - gnr (new or old) is a HUGE opening band
they put on a show worthy of headlining a stadium tour but have neglected to stay relevant the last decade.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I went to a Rolling Stones concert a couple years back. Alice Cooper opened. I dont think the Stones needed Alice, but it was a helluva concert. I think Kanye West opened for the Stones on some of those shows too.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
elmir wrote:

Point taken.

Only the UYI band could sell out stadiums... Azoff at the controls.... aaaahhhh. 22 1913

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

Van Halen?

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

SPREADING DEMOCRACY AROUND THE WORLD: Axl Rose intends to take the current lineup of Guns N’ Roses out on a worldwide stadium tour this summer, industry insiders told rollingstone.com. “Axl has been basically quiet, keeping out of the limelight for almost 15 years,” said Guns manager Irving Azoff in the news item. “People think they know him, but they really only know what has been said about him by questionable people. He is a good guy and often misunderstood—he is a professional who has worked very hard to build and maintain a high creative standard for Guns N’ Roses, which I support. We have some exciting things in the works this year for GNR, I’m looking forward to it.” Right on the heels of this news come unconfirmed reports about a co-headlining tour with GNR and fellow L.A. hard-rock icons Van Halen. If this pairing comes to pass, we’re betting it’ll move some serious ducats.

Board footer