You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Soundgarden

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

But I can't believe that Black Hole Sun is what most people know the band for, it's probably the worst song on the album!

This plagued Soundgarden their entire career. They pretty much became known only for their string of hits(Outshined, Rusty Cage, Black Hole Sun, Fell on Black Days), and in reality each album had better songs than the hits used to represent the album, especially in the case of Black Hole Sun.

I think this played a huge role in the lack of respect Soundgarden received by the public and the industry as a whole. While Superunknown is one of the greatest records ever made, its only remembered for the Black Hole Sun video which dominated MTV in the summer of 94.

Down on the Upside is only remembered for the minor hits Pretty Noose and Blow Up the Outside World, and the rest of the album is light years ahead of those two tracks in quality.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

But I can't believe that Black Hole Sun is what most people know the band for, it's probably the worst song on the album!

This plagued Soundgarden their entire career. They pretty much became known only for their string of hits(Outshined, Rusty Cage, Black Hole Sun, Fell on Black Days), and in reality each album had better songs than the hits used to represent the album, especially in the case of Black Hole Sun.

When Soundgarden first started to break with Outshined I really didn't like it, and didn't understand how some of my friends were as into them as they were at the time.  Then someone had me listen to the whole album and I got it.

Black Hole Sun is so funny with the popularity it got though.  People just picture that video and pay no attention whatsoever to the lyrics behind the sorta poppy melody.

James Lofton wrote:

A killer record. Its a bit hard to find, so if you guys are interested in hearing it, I'll upload it sometime this week.

If you have the time, I'd definitely be interested in that.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

hell yeah...

Did you get the Soundgarden albums? Sent them in a PM.

awesome... thanks...
great stuff

James

James wrote:

I put the Wellwater Conspiracy album in its own thread....

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3904

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

While Superunknown is one of the greatest records ever made, its only remembered for the Black Hole Sun video which dominated MTV in the summer of 94.

That video did get played WAYYYYYY too much.. Got to the point where I hated it. Got to the point where it damaged the song.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I put the Wellwater Conspiracy album in its own thread....

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3904

Had no idea this existed.  Thanks James!  I'm going to give this a listen.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Well, I just stumbled upon this today.  I had no idea Kim Thayil was still active in music anymore.  But then again, I haven't really been looking.

He's playing a show with The Nightwatchmen later this month (him and Sheppard both).

http://thecrocodile.com/index.html?page … nt=1153402

James

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Well, I just stumbled upon this today.  I had no idea Kim Thayil was still active in music anymore.  But then again, I haven't really been looking.

He's playing a show with The Nightwatchmen later this month (him and Sheppard both).

That's an interesting development. Both Thayil and Shepard are practically shut ins, yet here they are both doing something. Neither of them are members of this band and as far as I know, have never performed with Morello before. However, Morello obviously infuses politics into his music, and both Thayil and Shepard have a bit of history doing that as well.

I hope someone records this.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That's an interesting development. Both Thayil and Shepard are practically shut ins, yet here they are both doing something. Neither of them are members of this band and as far as I know, have never performed with Morello before. However, Morello obviously infuses politics into his music, and both Thayil and Shepard have a bit of history doing that as well.

I hope someone records this.

If I'm not mistaken, The Nightwatchmen isn't a "band" it's just Morello playing acoustic and singing occasionally with other people. 

I might be wrong about that though.

Looking at that list, Thayil, Shepard, and Morello with Steve Earle singing.  I'd buy that album.  I might be the only one, but I'd listen to it a lot.

James

James wrote:

Believe me, you wouldn't be the only one. wink

Board footer