You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Is the Van Halen tour a lesson to Axl?

Mikkamakka wrote:

Adler's Appetite played less GN'R than Axl during the 'Chinese Democracy World Tours'. I think you should agree that it wasn't about art, it was an easy way to go out and get some money. A lot of money. I wasn't talking about the recording, btw, ince there you can argue about art, although not having a vision and spending millions and millions to find something is far from being an artist, but hey, that's just me. It's the 'dive in and find the monkey' attitude.

I don't care what anyone says,it's always all about the money tongue ,IF Axl & the band tour with VH it wouldn't "teach him a lesson" I think we all know by now that Axl wants everything his way or no way at all.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl doesn't give a fuck. If they boo him, he'll flip 'em the bird and leave.

That's what he do... that's what he do.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Who would Axl need to dress away from in the band?

I think its being suggested that a reunion could occur and the band members just avoid the shit out of each other.

Seriously, that again. Some people are really thickheaded to not get it. We're talking Neanderthal thickness here.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Adler's Appetite played less GN'R than Axl during the 'Chinese Democracy World Tours'. I think you should agree that it wasn't about art, it was an easy way to go out and get some money. A lot of money. I wasn't talking about the recording, btw, ince there you can argue about art, although not having a vision and spending millions and millions to find something is far from being an artist, but hey, that's just me. It's the 'dive in and find the monkey' attitude.

yeah they got stuck calling the tour that, didn't they? i never argued with that.

i missed that "touring wise" on the end there. the rest of my point still stands though.

axl is not completely independent so money is an issue no matter what. to axl, personally, there are many things he would have done differently if it were about money.

i don't buy the the "no vision" story despite what tommy said and that could mean anything. everyone has a vision. it's what's is in that vision that's up for debate. axl's vision for cd was clearly to bring a lot of artists and influences in to the mix. i think he wanted a diverse album and one of sustenance. he clearly wasn't looking for a poppy album.

beyond that only axl knows what he forsaw the album sounding like before it came together.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think he didn't have a vision, that's why everyone and his dog ended up with some contribution on CD. Even Beltrami said that when he met Axl he asked about his ideas about the certain songs. Axl told him to do what he wanted, and then they would decide if they'd use it. I think this happened through all the years. Play something dude, play a hundred solos, Ron, then we'll see if there is something good we can use and copy-paste.
Axl didn't have a plan, didn't have an artistic vision, didn't have anything, but all the power.

war

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I think he didn't have a vision, that's why everyone and his dog ended up with some contribution on CD. Even Beltrami said that when he met Axl he asked about his ideas about the certain songs. Axl told him to do what he wanted, and then they would decide if they'd use it. I think this happened through all the years. Play something dude, play a hundred solos, Ron, then we'll see if there is something good we can use and copy-paste.
Axl didn't have a plan, didn't have an artistic vision, didn't have anything, but all the power.

that was the plan
the plan to making his vision happen

axl's vision is what you are referring to by your cut and paste comments

what would you have him do? hum the solos to the guitarists. axl was smart enough to know at this stage in his life that you can't get the best out of others by micro managing them. you have to empower them to get what you want out of them.

the problem wasn't a lack of vision. it was axl never being around.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
skippy wrote:

"IF" the VH/Guns tour rumors are true, I am believing that this would be Azoff's way of showing Axl how people who HATE each other can tour together.  With only monetary penalties as the way of keeping the peace.

This is an interesting thread, good reading, and props should go out to the OP.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

the problem wasn't a lack of vision. it was axl never being around.

I agree with most of your comments war.  Axl did have a vision; it was to move GNR forward into the new millenium past the musical style favored by Slash and others.  That is why he hired Robin Finck, Buckethead, and added another synth guy in Pittman.  The main problem here was the lack of execution.  From the simple task of introducing the new members to the public where they would not be seen as a  old GNR cover band to the recording of the album in a reasonable time period, they failed miserably.  It was a lack of leadership that doomed this era.

I think some of the blame has to go to Doug Goldstein and Merck.  They did nothing to further the recording process--I think this is more true for Goldstein.  It seemed like whenever there was some sort of minor problem--ie. the stuff with the drum sounds--those things would take forever to fix and doom the making of the album.  What GNR needed was a kick ass guy who could get things done and at the same time convince Axl that the world wasn't falling apart when there were problems in the process.  It's a shame that Tom Zutaut got booted in 2002 since it appeared that he had made significant progress in allaying Axl's worries about the album and progressing towards it's long awaited release. 

I'm real interested in seeing if Irving Azoff can coax any new material out of Axl.  Axl seems to trust him and he is a guy that gets stuff done (reunited Eagles album, reunited VH w/ Dave and allegedly an album in the future).

war

war wrote:

good post
i have been uncharacteristically content through the ups and the downs of being a gnr fan since this management was put in place. it seems they have found a way to hold axl accountable and motivate him to not stand still while maximizing the output on the business front.

Board footer