You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Josh Freese on Axl and Chinese Democracy

Nearly 10 years after leaving Guns N' Roses to become a founding member of A Perfect Circle, drummer Josh Freese is still involved in the maelstrom with Axl Rose.

And, as Freese tells it, that's a good thing.

During an extensive Spinner Q&A, Rose said that Freese was one of the easiest drummers to work with -- and friendliest. When Spinner spoke to Freese, he took the time to return the compliment. "Everyone always baits me to give them a crazy Axl story," he admits. "I don't really have any. I spent two years in a studio with him [and] I never saw any mood swings. He was never not cool to me. So, I am always quick to defend the guy, even though I know his reality is different than mine. Then again, everyone has a different reality."

Freese auditioned for the Axl-centric Guns in 1997, albeit a little reluctantly. "I was pretty busy at the time, so I didn't really need the job necessarily," he says. "Then I decided that I should go down there because I wanted to meet him. At the time, no one had seen him for a couple of years and there were all these rumors. He had become the Howard Hughes of rock 'n' roll and I wanted to see it. I went down and I liked him. He wasn't the monster that was painted of him."

The two spent the next two years in the studio, working up new songs including the Rose/Freese composition that became the 'Chinese Democracy' title track. "That's a wacky feather in my cap," Freese says with a laugh. "After 10 years I was ready to see [the song] have eight different writers on it, but it didn't get convoluted and f---ed up."

In fact, for all the reports of Rose's endless tweaking, Freese says the song is very close to the original. "I think they made the intro longer," he says. "I'd have 'em cut right into the thing. It's a simple bonehead rock song with a big riff that I'm assuming will be perfect for 'Guitar Hero' one day."

http://www.spinner.com/2009/03/27/guns- … -axl-rose/

Thanks to jarmo from HTGTH.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Interesting. Wonder why Freese left...

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Interesting. Wonder why Freese left...

He's a session musician he moves from project carving a career rather than being in just one band or working with just one person

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

He is playing with Slash now lol.

You should be thanking  google, not jarmo.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Always wanted to hear Freese's take on the fiasco. Too bad he didn't go into more detail.

As far as why Freese left, isn't it obvious??

He wanted to release music. Its why all people leave the project. Their resumes are stagnant while in GNR, they leave, then see a massive increase the moment they leave.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Freese is a session drummer. Always have been. Freese left because he is exactly that. A session drummer.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Always wanted to hear Freese's take on the fiasco. Too bad he didn't go into more detail.

He wanted to release music. Its why all people leave the project. Their resumes are stagnant while in GNR, they leave, then see a massive increase the moment they leave.

I thought they all left because they hated Axl?  Isn't he supposed to be this evil guy who nobody can work with?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Never bite the hand that feeds you.  Axl fed him well.

PGER83
 Rep: 5 

PGER83 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Stagnant?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Freese_discography

Lazlo Bane - Transistor (1997)
Rickie Lee Jones - Ghosty Head (1997)
Bic Runga - Drive (1997)
Mary Lou Lord - Martian Saints EP (1997)
Meredith Brooks - Blurring the Edges (1997)
Mike Ness - Cheating at Solitaire (1998)
Emm Gryner - Public (1998)
Crumb - ">Seconds>Minutes>Hours>" (1998)
Mary Lou Lord - Got No Shadow (1998)
New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (1998)
The Vandals - Hitler Bad, Vandals Good (1998)
The Wailing Souls - Psychedelic Souls (1998)
Guns N' Roses - Oh My God (End Of Days Soundtrack) (1998)
Hayden - The Closer I Get (1998)
Bob and Mark Mothersbaugh - 200 Cigarettes Soundtrack (1999)
Paul Westerberg - Suicaine Gratifaction (1999)
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning (1999)
Shawn Mullins - First Ten Years (1999)
DEVO - Pioneers Who Got Scalped (2000)
Poe - Haunted (2000)
John Doe - Freedom Is... (2000)
Josh Freese - The Notorious One Man Orgy (2000)
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms (2000)

Olorin wrote:

You should be thanking  google, not jarmo.

I took it from HTGTH and he posted it.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Never bite the hand that feeds you.

Oh, come on...

Is it impossible that he just doesn't have anything bad to say?

Board footer