You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: DJ Ashba First Impressions

war wrote:

that was ages ago. nothing has changed since then. the songs will still sound great live. hopefully, this guy will help axl put out another album after the tour. i'm surprised how surprised some of you are.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
war wrote:

that was ages ago. nothing has changed since then. the songs will still sound great live. hopefully, this guy will help axl put out another album after the tour. i'm surprised how surprised some of you are.

I agree....i'm actually really surprised at some of the negativity around at the moment. I understand people who love every line up. This is my perception of things:

* People who saw Axl and Slash share a stage in person realise what it's like to put two of the most talented, and charasmatic people of the one generation in the one place at the same time. Some fans miss that, and I can get that.

* People who know bucketheads work, and know guitar understand that he's one of the most gifted players in the world, and gives things his eccentric spin. Some fans miss that, and I can get that.

* Robin has a pretty unusual style, he gives things a pretty unique flavour in his own way. Some fans miss that, and I can get that.

So don't get me wrong, I love all those guys. But, what's changed now that suddenly people are upset? People have been comming and going from guns for years now. It's one of the things about the way the band is that people kind of need to accept or you drive yourself crazy. You dont have to like it, but surely it's not like a shock. To me it would be more shocking these days if Axl suddenly brought back Slash or Bucket. I'd welcome them as fans of them, but that would be something surprising, this isn't. It's looked for a while that it was quite likely Robin was gone, from the silence following his departure to the delay in a CD tour. Anyway - it's basicly business as usual for this band - it weathers the line up changes.

Anyway...you guys might call me a nutswinger for this, but I remember reading some buddhist stuff about changing what it you desire being the secret to happiness once, and in a way, it sort of applies here. The loss of robin is not a shock, and people holding out hope for the return of people from the past are not really paying attention to either the history of the band, or the recent remarks from Axl. So in the end, getting upset about it only fucks ourselves over - like to be blunt - Axl won't care who we want in the band - and so that leaves us a choice - we can sit around sad  and miss the old days - or we can say to ourselves that we loved the old days, but take what enjoyment is to be had from the new line up.

So much as Robin had his moments, and Slash and Bucket were kickass...and should always be respected as such, what's to be lost from giving Ashba a fair hearing? I'm not saying we all have to suck up or anything - but like the guy hasn't even played a note yet with GNR and a lot of people are basicly saying that the band is fucked.

I think this band has a lot of potential to be enjoyable: Bumble is under-rated as a guitarist, try playing his song "Guitar's Suck" he's pretty fucking good on his instrument, meanwhile it seems like Ashba has quite a lot of emotion in his playing. I'd give this line up a shot to see what the chemestry is like myself.

This is actually a positive time for the band. Axl released an album last year. He's been chatting online and making occasional statements. We have an official line up that's a full band again. It seems like a tour is about to kick off.  Sure things are happening in their own GNR way - but to me this is a good period for fans - i'm suprised so many of us seem to have given up - I'm starting to feel like the only one around here who's excited about stuff that's happening.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but the problem with that attitude Monk, not that i'm saying it's bad, is that most people have moved on from the whole GN'R live act thing. Even people who are Axl fans, are gonna sit back and say at times "i've seen him before", and none of the band members really have a chance to connect with the audience, because they change so much, and the ones who are the mainstays are not highlighted.

I'll get excited when GN'R announce a release date for their next studio album, because at this point, studio output, is ALL that I care about GN'R.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

but, axlin08, are they sick of gnr live or are they sick of appetite live?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don't get why people (fans) wouldn't want to see GNR play live, regardless of who's in the band, especially if you like the music on CD.  Understandable if you're a fan of the old lineup and don't care for the new stuff, but if you dig the new stuff why would you not want to see it played live?  Because you've seen some of the songs performed before?  Because Buckethead, Paul Huge, Robin won't be there? 

I don't get it, Axl could tour with 5 guys from the audience on each night and I'd be there.  Maybe money is an issue, that I could understand.  Gotta keep your priorities straight in these times. 

I can't wait till they hit the road again and I'll go to as many shows as I possibly can convince my friends to come with me to (they're casual fans).

And this isn't exactly limited to GNR fans either.  I checked out VHlinks to see what the take was on the rumored VH/GNR tour over there and I wasn't too shocked to find it was a negative vibe.  I WAS surprised though at how many VH fans said they wouldn't spend another dime to see them live until they come out with new music.  Maybe I just love seeing songs I love being played live more than the average guy, but that just sounds crazy to me.  I can't fathom passing on seeing your favorite band live if you are able to go.  I've seen Def Leppard 5 times the last 3 years and their setlist doesn't vary much at all.  But my friends and I make an event out of it and always have a good time, it never gets to the point of "been there, done that".

Spare the Def Leppard jokes, they put on a good show.

PGER83
 Rep: 5 

PGER83 wrote:

I dont think anyone is more fedup with the linechanges than Axl.
He is the one who takes all the shit for it.
If he wasnt why would he have given Finck all that time and space to make his choice, looking like an ass not knowing who was in the band in the process.
I know what youre gonna say " But its his own fault" maybe it is maybe it isnt.
We dont know the details for each one, look at big B there where alot of rumers about problems with other members more than with Axl.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
war wrote:

but, axlin08, are they sick of gnr live or are they sick of appetite live?

Both. Casuals = GN'R / Hardcores = Appetite

helenluna
 Rep: 3 

helenluna wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'll say one thing, I think whoever runs DJ's website should take over GNR's.  He's already got a section devoted to GNR on there.  Tour dates TBA. 

He's listed as an official member of the band now, but Brain isn't on there.  Isn't he supposedly back?  Why not list him?

It's DJ himself who runs the website. Ashbamedia is his company. He's also done Sixx:AM's site, James Michael's site, Sony Playstation's site and many others. I also vote him to do the GnR site, that thing up there is shit, not a real website.

Anyway, I voted good. I was indifferent when it was just a rumor about him auditioning, but I liked his stuff, mostly his site and the way I found out he relates very closely to the fans. Then when he was confirmed in the band I just had to dive deep into his music (going back to his first bands and all) to understand why Axl had no doubt of hiring him. For what you hear in Sixx:AM's album, and in Beautiful Creatures, and back in Ashba, the solo project, it gets obvious why he's the perfect pick. Besides being a great Slash-style guitarist and overall talented musician and compositor, he's one that likes to push himself further, and we know Axl looks for this kind of people.

I'm all for him now and I dare to say I would've even kicked someone out of the band if needed to get him in if I heard he was available. Axl has made a great choice.

Anyway, I'm eager to see him live and see how he works in GnR, like all of you.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
helenluna wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'll say one thing, I think whoever runs DJ's website should take over GNR's.  He's already got a section devoted to GNR on there.  Tour dates TBA. 

He's listed as an official member of the band now, but Brain isn't on there.  Isn't he supposedly back?  Why not list him?

It's DJ himself who runs the website. Ashbamedia is his company. He's also done Sixx:AM's site, James Michael's site, Sony Playstation's site and many others. I also vote him to do the GnR site, that thing up there is shit, not a real website.

Anyway, I voted good. I was indifferent when it was just a rumor about him auditioning, but I liked his stuff, mostly his site and the way I found out he relates very closely to the fans. Then when he was confirmed in the band I just had to dive deep into his music (going back to his first bands and all) to understand why Axl had no doubt of hiring him. For what you hear in Sixx:AM's album, and in Beautiful Creatures, and back in Ashba, the solo project, it gets obvious why he's the perfect pick. Besides being a great Slash-style guitarist and overall talented musician and compositor, he's one that likes to push himself further, and we know Axl looks for this kind of people.

I'm all for him now and I dare to say I would've even kicked someone out of the band if needed to get him in if I heard he was available. Axl has made a great choice.

Anyway, I'm eager to see him live and see how he works in GnR, like all of you.

Yeah I'm thinking it was a pretty good choice.  DJ seems to be very fan friendly and excited about this opportunity.  He has a pretty loyal following that seem supportive and he's cut from that modern rock cloth which could help GNR going forward.  Make them more relevant,,, hopefully.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Wouldn't that be something if DJ himself became webmaster? That place would rule!

Board footer