You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: In Retrospect-the best review?

Intercourse wrote:

wow...despite the arguments here lately we all have quite similar feelings about the album. I cannot take too much of it in one go but I have put it on every few weeks and been delighted with parts of it. Axl's talent is undeniable.

I was always surprised and even disappointed that for all the talk about this album and the fall out with the old band (especially Slash) being necessary to make it, I think the only song they wouldn’t sound right on is Shackler. The rest ain’t at all far from the old ground despite the years of work put in to move GNR on musically.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I listen to the album a lot actually, Ishould probably knock it on the head for a while and go back to it later to replenish its impact on me.

Also I'm pretty sure I enjoy it more when I dont follow the boards, which is odd, the politics surrounding the album are pretty depressing though.

I was hoping for a more focused album, mabye like a Roger Waters type concept album, where the songs would have to be apprieciated as a whole on the album. I thought the timescale it took to make meant something much more elaborate and generation defining was coming.
I think a lot of us and others detected it straight away, that the album flowed like a compilation album. Its startingly obvious that they have picked out songs from a bundle a chose a running order.

I guess it all boils down to how high your expectations were how much you liked it. Even with the familiarity of the songs over the years, the album still takes a little getting used to, mabye there is too much going on.
I thought the original Blues demo only needed a better mix and different vocals at the beginning.
I loved the minimalistic piano version, the album version I'm still not 100% convinced by.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Good review, and I agree with alot of the posts made by people here.. I listen to it now & then anymore, it's been about a month. Some songs (SR, Riad) were better than I initially remembered. But overall, it's just that, a good album.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I've said it for  awhile and I'll say it again

two things

1. the leaks ruined the album for me as I wore out most of it before it was released properly

2nd. sometimes i feel Axl is just way more talented than the guys around him and sometimes chemistry wise, u can really tell that people were recording their parts at totally separate times.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

its funny, the recommended songs

Better
street of dreams
catcher in the rye
irs
madagascar

aside from the addition of twat those are my most favorite tracks

Sky Dog wrote:
-D- wrote:

I've said it for  awhile and I'll say it again

two things

1. the leaks ruined the album for me as I wore out most of it before it was released properly

2nd. sometimes i feel Axl is just way more talented than the guys around him and sometimes chemistry wise, u can really tell that people were recording their parts at totally separate times.

Axl isn't any more talented than Bucket or Tommy, in my opinion, just like he wasn't really more talented than Slash or Izzy. Now, the chemistry thing is a whole different story. You can't argue against the chemistry of the original band.:haha:

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

I'd say Axl has good chemistry with everyone in the band, but not all band members have had good chemistry

For example I'd love to hear an album strictly composed by Axl, Bucket and Pitman

I'd also love to hear one composed strictly by Axl, Ron and Stinson

They'd be totally different albums, but I believe both would be very cool, and there is great chemistry between those people.  But there have been indications that guys like Bucket and Robin and Stinson didn't get along.  Too many chefs, that sort of thing

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

Chuck Klosterman's review was the absolute best.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/chuck-kl … racy,2539/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl is a fabulous lyricist. But like any good one, they need a good band around them like guitarist to give it the sound (Slash, Izzy, Bucket), and yes even keyboardist like a Chris Pitman to kind of bring it all together.

I think that's what keeps CD afloat is it's got Axl combined with Bucket & Chris. You take those two things away, and this thing would've been Axl's "Angel Down".

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

Chuck Klosterman's review was the absolute best.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/chuck-kl … racy,2539/

Yeah thats a damn good one as well. He does a great job at breaking down the mythology and trying to put the music in context with it.

Don't agree with everything he says about it, but at least he put a lot of thought into it.

Board footer