You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: The Possibility of a Guns N' Roses '09 Summer tour

Olorin wrote:

I cant remember reading any review calling it weak, it was more like they wished there was more songs on the album that were as straight up rocking as IRS.

But its probably had its day as well, its another song that was big on US radio in 2006.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You can certainly hear Tommy on the demos. Hearing the bass was the main highlight of those skwerl leaks. Pitman's contributions to IRS are a bit similar to what John Paul Jones did on No Quarter, so yeah there's a Zeppelin vibe to it.

Quite a few people had issues with the unheard tracks. Scraped is horrid, and even has a technical glitch in the middle of it. Only song I've noticed at these communities to pretty much get zero complaints is Sorry.

I've listened to countless demos from many artists/bands, and in a lot of cases digested those demos after hearing the albums for years. I don't immediately start hating versions that are newer to my ears.

I'm not gonna blame the album's lackluster production on my brain.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I cant remember reading any review calling it weak, it was more like they wished there was more songs on the album that were as straight up rocking as IRS.

But its probably had its day as well, its another song that was big on US radio in 2006.

I've loved IRS ever since day 1, it's still among my favorites on the album.  As is Scraped, then again I like the entire album a lot.  I honestly can't say there's one song I dislike.  Sure I like some more than others but I never skip tracks, always listen start to finish.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Pitman's contributions to IRS are a bit similar to what John Paul Jones did on No Quarter, so yeah there's a Zeppelin vibe to it.

Apart from the over-done synth on the "Better" demos, I think he adds alot to the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I just want to say that the studio versions of all of these songs, with maybe the exception of Catcher are better than the demos. The only other exception is I think Street of Dreams, the live version in 2002 is superior than both the demos & studio version. The more guitar-driven one if far better imo. I'd like to hear the Bucket-Shackler's, but Ron does an underrated job imo. Better & TWAT seem 'fuller' and more complete. Scraped is not a great song. Riad & IRS never were great songs. And Madagascar, i'd still take in it's completed 'fuller' studio form, than live performances. The 2001-02 band played it better anyways. I think the only draw back is Axl's 2001-02 vocals should've been left on the song, and no rasp should've been on it, but it's a minor nitpicking complaint. It's still very good.

Coma
 Rep: 11 

Coma wrote:

i think that album has a lot of things going at the same time it has to much guitars the way that bass it's recorded is a shit and that some guitars you have been recorded normally without effects and that buckethead solos except the one in 'Sorry' dont fit with the song but i love the album and i think its great above all those things.... i love AFD and it has a lot of bad things but there is a great records i think tthat CD is excellent because i feel this way: Recoding, Mixing, Editing: 5 Performance: 11

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great posts from so many people.

Anyway...i strongly agree with Neemo that most of the issues relate to the mixing rather than the parts themselves. Stylisticly I can understand if some people would prefer to have heard these songs in a more traditional format (like 1 rhythm player, 1 lead) - but that goes to Axl's concept of the project rather than Bumble himself. To me once you are going with 3 or 4 guitarists its not much crazier to add a 5th. I'd either like to hear it with everyone as we have or just like 2 people.

James Lofton wrote:

Scraped is horrid, and even has a technical glitch in the middle of it. Only song I've noticed at these communities to pretty much get zero complaints is Sorry.

It's wierd how we all differ. Scraped is actually my 2nd favourite track at the moment. I love it. And "sorry" to me is ok but probably the song I like least on the CD. Wierd huh. My opinion is that the "skip" is an intentional effect in the song due to it's placement in the lyrics and the sound. But I can't prove it.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

The truth is though, this band has not finished a tour since 1993. This new line up has NEVER finished a full tour.... And I agree, the 2006 tour was successful and better executed than 02, but they still didn't finish it and that's what looks bad on them.

I guess you have a point. To be honest I can't really remember how much was cancelled in 06 though, as my overall memory was that in general it went off ok. I know you are right in that it didn't go 100%...but i'm just trying to get some perspective...anyone know how many shows were cancelled on the 06 tours vs how many played?

Coma
 Rep: 11 

Coma wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

The truth is though, this band has not finished a tour since 1993. This new line up has NEVER finished a full tour.... And I agree, the 2006 tour was successful and better executed than 02, but they still didn't finish it and that's what looks bad on them.

I guess you have a point. To be honest I can't really remember how much was cancelled in 06 though, as my overall memory was that in general it went off ok. I know you are right in that it didn't go 100%...but i'm just trying to get some perspective...anyone know how many shows were cancelled on the 06 tours vs how many played?

Okay first they also canceled shows in 1992 so... an in 2006 they did:
Shows that they went: 48
Show canceled and posponed : 9

39 difference

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Ok...So that's 20% of shows canceled. Higher than I expected to be honest. I guess maybe i just thought it was good compared to 02 when things suddenly died. I dunno...i guess I don't see the missed shows as meaning there's a problem with the new band....it's always been something Axl does for whatever reason...and it's always shat off the media, promoters and some fans. What i'm saying is...I dont think cancelling a show gives this new band a lack of legitimacy...some people dont respect them for other reasons...but I dont think its the aborted shows that are the primary cause.

Board footer