You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: PM Spamming @ MYGNR!?

Neemo wrote:

i moved this thread to the management section for 2 reasons

1. I didnt wanna have this as the number one thread in hte gnr section cuz it was about spamming @ mygnr
2. it kinda morphed into something with some heated opinions aboiut this and other gnr boards..and that was totally not my intention for posting this topic hmm

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Dexter

Got worldwide press in major publications, and while he didn't post here, "Dexter" was kind enough to join and while a bit disappointing that he didn't come back and answer our questions, him simply signing up was a cool acknowledgement of this community, which was probably his intent. Other than the "big 3" sites which the GNR camp has official contact with, GNR Evolution was the ONLY other site he joined.

MSL

Is a member here, a member at the old site, and we're the only site  that never censored him. We actually faced the wrath of GNR's attorney back in mid 07 trying to get us to censor him, but in the interests of our community, we didn't buckle under.

jarmo

I do what I can to keep admin bashing to a minimum. Do I have a 100% success rate? Of course not. However, there is less admin bashing here than you see on other sites.

this very thread

Exists to let people know that spam PMs were surfacing at mygnr that could possibly have had a virus.

I still fail to see the logic of people posting at other sites causing those sites to influence this one. Does Alanisutopia, Elasticated, and the Liz Phair invision forum influence GNR Evolution? According to the logic being used in this thread, they do.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Oh-ho, just noticed this thread that has grown somewhat.
So you’re demanding explanations and won’t let this lie either as a member here, or anywhere else? How heroic.

Not out of any great desire to yield to your demands, but more out of respect for this site, I’ll give you some answers.

“Of what few users there are, the "big" sites consist of mostly sycophants, haters with the occasional desperate realist”

You want my definitions behind that statement?

“sycophants” – People brown-nosing the band, band associates, forum admin and forum moderators.

“haters” – People bashing the new band, the old band, new members, old members, old band associates and new band associates.

“realists” – People who have no premeditated agenda, commenting on individual events and actions in an honest objective manner.

I don’t see what is so controversial about that statement; I still consider it a fair assessment. It may not be statistically accurate when broken down and measured in a detailed objective survey, but for an off the cuff statement and assessment from a forum user since the year 2000, it is not too unkind.

I consider myself a realist, but I have often been accused of being a nutswinger and of being a hater.
I don’t have a partisan standpoint on being strictly positive about GNR and I consider anyone who does as being dishonest and untrustworthy. I don’t look at anyone with an ingrained negative viewpoint with any love either or I wouldn’t have clashed with Mr O. Western.
I don’t consider myself faultless either, I’ll happily call someone a fucking cunt if they piss me off, rather than being diplomatic, and take the punishment that comes with insulting fellow members.

“When it comes to being mind numbingly servile, htgth wins hands down. Its hard to believe some of the bird brain posts in the main section come from adults and not pre school children.”

As for being servile, that’s a topic that has been discussed to death over the last few years and you can feign ignorance all you want but I don’t have to elaborate anymore on it here and now.

The “bird brain posts” comment refers to the snide and petty attacks on former band members, band associates and even other forum members that is encouraged, and often instigated by the forum staff and some forum members. It also refers to the hypocritical and skewed logic that is posted there in defence of their actions.
I’m not the most intelligent person of the planet, I have many difficulties that others find simple, but on any visit I make to browse that site I always come away with the impression that much of the content is a complete insult to my intelligence.
I don’t have to apologise for that, it’s merely my point of view, my own personal opinion.

“Its hard to believe some of the bird brain posts in the main section come from adults and not pre school children”

I did say some. If I believed that no forum member had any value whatsoever, I wouldn’t bother browsing it at all. But that’s not the case, there are some members there who’s contributions I enjoy reading. As a matter of fact there are some members I met there and I still privately stay in contact with, despite the fact I voluntarily deleted my account  because of my distaste for the politics of the place.

Quote AtariLegend
[i]“I want an explanation as to why this place is so elitist and why people discussing song lyrics is dumb.”
[/i]

I’ll answer the second part first.

I didn’t know it was dumb:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5854

As for the first part, I don’t consider this place elitist, nor does anyone else except you it seems, that’s your own words.  So is:
"Olorin" and "war" basically ditched almost everyone who has ever posted on a "Gn'R" forum. Most of the people with accounts here; basically come under the term brain dead posters by their criteria."

And also "brain dead" and "idiot", are your own words too, if you are going to quote me in a strange attempt to shame me, at least quote me correctly.

What I personally enjoy about this site is reasoned discussion, the openness of the discussion and the variety of viewpoints. I like how the site manages to keep an objective stance on GNR, without caving in to the expectations from some that a GNR fan site should be partisan and biased.
I also enjoy the good humour and lack of ego the site staff have. I read today that these cartoons are banned at htgth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gihc9A3_ … annel_page

If true, that’s just ridiculous.

I also quite enjoy the fact that I can make a post here without having it disappear into thin air 5 minutes later.

If this site wasn’t so easy going, members might not have the freedom to start inflammatory threads like this:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=6055&p=1

My own opinions are not representitive of this site, if they were I wouldnt get into so many fucking arguments!
Just because I personally have issues with other GNR sites, (and almost all them are with one site), and just because I happen to prefer this site over all the others, doesnt mean that this site is elitist in the slightest. Its bizarre to even suggest it. It all comes down to personal tastes and individual choice.
And I didnt imply anything, just like when I called you fannybaws, thats a pretty direct fucking statement.

Happy now, Fannybawz?!

AtariLegend wrote:

I think you're a moron.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Nae bother, bawjaws 15

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

One other thing regarding this apparent "elitism"....

This community is quite unique. Is it the largest? No, and I don't give a shit. Neither do the other members of this community. People who are active here feel like they a part of the community. They know that they themselves ARE the community. Every single person here is a vital piece of the Evolution puzzle. The lines between lurker, active member, and staff is so blurred that a new user reading the site wouldn't even be able to distinguish who is who and what their actual role is. There is no totem pole of importance/value here.

On other GNR communities, you're basically a disposable cog in their machine. Here at GNR Evolution, YOU are the machine.

Notice how on all other sites there's always people wanting to be moderators, yet on this site that has NEVER happened? Its because the members here know they don't need some status symbol to let them know they are vital to the community.

This is very true, I never felt like a noob when I first posted here and it actually took me a while to figure who the mods were. Even now, apart from you and Neemo,  I still forget who actually runs the place, but I know there are other mods lurking, watching.
Its a great system, I'm glad its intentional and not lack of effort that creates that impression. Its a fact of life that some people are better at man management than others, anyone with any working experience whatsoever has came across good managers and the other type who quickly become overwhelmed by the power trip.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Anyway we could take the personal attacks to PMs if at all?

Right on cue, one emerges out of the darkness.

Yes, I'm sorry, I take head of your warning.

Board footer