You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Please Play TWAT more when a tour happens

Sky Dog wrote:

There are no issues. The Best Buy deal in the US paid off the costs of the album. Thus, the other roughly 1.5 million albums sold outside of the US are virtually pure profit for the record company and Axl. They made money. By financial standards for normal bands that is a success any way you slice it. Facts are facts. Now, everything else is a complete disaster and sucks a dog's ass.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

Overall, taking in to consideration the big picture, it is a failure. But, it made money because they got bailed out like Bank of America. Fans have no business discussing financials anyway....let the rich rocks stars and record company douche bags worry about that. My concern is the music and the ability to hear new music in the future. 22

Itchy GTR
 Rep: 5 

Itchy GTR wrote:

Hey all serious accounts aside I am grateful that Axl and company put the cd out. It's one of the few cds I've purchased the last two years. I like to keep up with the artists that I love pre-1990's that had already established themselves. When I first bought the cd and played it the first two songs to me was far left field from the original G&R. But by the third and fourth song I started to think 'hey wait a minute this isn't that bad'. Than when I heard If the World and There was a time I was convinced that this was more than a cd to put out because Axl may need money but a well thought out cd filled with different vantage points that most cds today don't deliver. From that point on the following eight songs only confirmed to me that although 'old school' may be passe', the term old school is a term what modern artists like to use because they really don't have the talent and blood, sweat and tears of artists who delivered and wrote great songs from the 50's, 60's , 70's and even the 80's. It seems to me that those artists that write songs that echo the same sentiments we are all feeling are the ones who write from experiences of hardship and struggles. The greatest artists are the ones who are hungry inside and stand by their integrity and truth. Thus this cd that might appear to be so quickly dismissed as a flop or 'not as popular' as what is in the top twenty billboard charts is really a misconception. It's a cd that if you don't listen to it for a month than pop it in again it takes you up in an up-lifting way the same way as if you just popped it in the very first time. Not to many cds can deliver that to a listener. If you don't believe me, hide Chinese Democracy away for a month than pull it out and play it..........(Now I've got the best of you!!!!!)
22:love::)

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I mean, I truly love this album, but I don't go around acting as if it's any sort of success.

Yep, I'll support that statement and agree to it. It was a lukewarm thing. At best.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Why do you think BB didn't market it?  Because they wanted to just give Axl money for nothing?  I'm going to say no.  I'll take answer b: they knew it wasn't going to sell once they heard the whole thing as well.  They cut their losses.

How long was CD (the single) on the Top 100?  Not the rock list, I'm talking the real Top 100.  I bet never is the answer, if not, it was a very, very, very short time.  How many albums do you think an Axl/Slash GnR album would have sold?  That's the standard I'm holding it to.  If you're going to be GnR, then you have to be GnR and accept the expectations that go with that.  You can't just take the sales that go with the name and not take the expectations.  You cannot have it both ways.

If by slow building you mean that 20 years from now people might say it wasn't as bad as everyone though it was at the time, then I might agree with you.  If by slow building you mean the album will come back to the top 10 again, you're nuts.

Awwwww, look at Buzz being the authority on GNR... Your opinion doesn't matter, which is sad because you are an intelligent guy, but you're so jaded your logic regarding this band is completely warped, where everything is geared at this being a failure no matter what.  You reach and reach and twist everything in a negative light. Which is your thing, so whatever. Its just no one can really ever have a real debate with you. Which sucks because you are a good poster outside this topic.

And as I read your response it finally hit me who you are...

Buzz, you are the Rush Limbaugh of the GNR world. 16

My opinion doesn't matter?  Interesting, considering my opinion turns out to be right quite often.  Nobody can have a real debate with me because they can't win.  THAT is what's sad.  You can claim all the successes you want, but when it comes to bring up the actual facts of the situation, they are going to be on my side.  It's not negative, it's real.  It never has been negative, it's always been real. 

My posts on this topic are no different than my other posts on other topics.  I look at everything from a reality point of view.  I always have, I always will.  The difference is that YOU are so biased about this subject that you refuse to see the reality that is so obviously sitting right in front of you.  That is a you problem, not a me problem.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You're right quite often? You're not negative? Nobody can win a debate with you? Wow...Okay, jarmo, I mean, Buzz.

You're the one who said the album would never come out. Your refusal to admit the album wasn't a failure, from your own jaded thinking, is what you're hanging your hat on. Again, you have never "realistically" proved how selling 3 million copies of their album is a failure..... Other than your holding them to your own standard of what a GNR album should sell. That's why your opinion doesn't matter. Because you're not basing your opinion in reality, you're basing it in your reality. You see things how you want and you try to pass it off your own tired, tainted opinion as fact. That's a you problem, not a me problem.

You saying I'm biased is a laugh. But whatever Buzz. Carry on 22

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I love the album and I personally view it as a complete and total failure.

Interesting. Why? Like under what standard? As a GNR album? As an album from a modern band? It's all about perspective to me. Like what makes you view it like that?

My position is this:

Musically: Successful. Love it.

Sales A : Compared to normal band successful, came in at #14 worldwide, enough to continue the band.

Sales B: Compared to GNR historical level of world domination  - very very poor.

Marketing: very poor. I think the music was good enough to attract some new fans, but the implimentation of this record was SO badly handled. The delays. The silence. The lack of promo. No interviews. No tour. Not playing the media games that can attract attention to the work.

Production: Some issues. Problems with the vinyl versions. Cd booklet bad. etc. Cover art not to everyone's taste. Mixing issues.

So IMO...there's been a lot of stuff that could have been handled better for sure, especially when you have a level of fame and stardom that a band like GNR/Axl does.

But fundementally I couldn't say it's been a failure, not when the've sold enough records for the band to continue, and not when the artistic product underneath remains at a very very high standard.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Nobody can have a real debate with me because they can't win.

Arrogant much?

As far as the 'CD is a failure" argument, its week 1 sales ensure that its not a total failure. Take away week one, and you're looking at some frightening statistics. The band has sold enough copies to be able to continue. Thats what really matters. However, its pretty obvious they don't feel like continuing, or things would have been set in motion long ago.

Board footer