You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: My view on the Axl Slash break up debate

Stepvhen wrote:

This may be the wrong section and I am very tired now and have put this very loosely. I will clarify and revise this when I get time.

Here is my Slant on the bands breakup

I am an Axl-ite. I love CD. However guys like you really let the side down with shit like this.

Heres Why Im pro Axl.  I THINK:

Slash wanted creative control. He told Axl he had written new material him and Axl butted heads cos slash had written/was writting the full next gnr album and Axl wanted his input (Axl has said this much in his online interviews and Slash was vying for power since illusions).

They continued to argue neither one backing down both becoming bitter. Management get onto Axl to tell him keep the band together (as he has said) Axl concedes and they start sessions. Realising the potential of the material and still harbouring bitterness Slash all but leaves taking his material with him and releasing it as solo.

Duff sticks by Axl. He wants no part in it as that material was meant to be the next Guns record and is unhappy with what slash trying to further his own career at the bands expense.

Matt always the opportunist jumps on board with Slash cos hes making an album (therefore Matt gets a paycheck) while Axl and duff got nothing to show for the next GNR album. Slash gets gilby back as another slap in the face to Axl and drafts in Mike Inez to fill duffs position. Add Dover and hes got himself a regular GNR cover band that instead has his name in the title Slash's Snakepit (more of his prostitution of himself to the media).

Meanwhile Axl and Duff wait. They owe the Record Company anther GNR record and the pressure is building. Eventually Slash returns still pissed at Axl. Under severe pressure they start to record an album from scratch cos Slash used his material to further himself. The pressure is to great an progress is too slow Slash jumps ship knowing that he now owes the record company nothing as he is no longer a member of GNR but the agreement they made means the rest must now carry the burden of the name and deliver the next album.(Slash was not capable of writing any more good music at this point. He hasn't had aguns standard album since Five O'Clock)  This agreement meant to keep them together(Who would want to forfeit their rights to such a great, big band) has now become an easy way out for the members and as such drives them apart. Duff and Axl (the rest matt and Izzys numerous replacements never really had any say, they seemed to be there to get paid and live off the GNR for free) are now left holding the baby. The pressure is now getting really intense they need a new guitarist and an album.

Duff caves and leaves Axl in the Lurch.Matt follows suit. As the last original member Axl becomes GNR. He know owes the Label an Album by a band that no longer exists.

So he does what he can. Tries to rebuild it while Slash defames his character in the press and the general public and media follow suit manipulated by bitter ex-employees and tabloids out to make a quick buck off his misfortune.

-When you think of it the song Atlas Shrugged which will hopefully someday surface is probably a reference o Axl holding the weight of all his former band members on his shoulder and not sure what will happen if he shrugs and it drops.-

As far as I'm concerned Slash screwed Axl. Duff simply caved under pressure this would seem to be his personality. Slash said it himself Duff is just spineless.- or so Axl says-

This is why I support Axl and the New Gnr

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

While I am no Axlite, I am not a Slash nutswinger neither.  Your take is interesting but makes Axl out to be too much of a Saint.  Duff as always said it best for why GNR broke up.  Success came too fast too big for that band.  They were not ready for that success.  They all got big heads, big egos and it eventually clashed cause no one was backing down.  I remember Duff also saying (or maybe it was someone else) that during the illusions sessions, there were big battles going on with band members saying "I will play on your song only if you play or sing on mine.  Or I will play on your song only if I can sing on mine".  GNR broke up not just because of Axl, but also not just because of Slash.  I do not believe everything Axl says about this and do not believe everything Slash says about this.  I think there's a middle in all of this.  Remember it takes two to fight.  Axl didn't fight alone and neither did Slash.  My take is that they both have faults in this.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I supported Axl cause I wanted to hear what he could come up with.  After all I had heard what the others were able to come up with.  And while Axl's record may be in some ways better than what the others came up with, it was still very forgetable.  So in that sense since they broke up, they've all suffered from this musically.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

ok but lets consider the following -

axl went on late at every show
he had countless legal battles with various opponents
he had an incredible temper - (see st. louis)
he forced the rest of the band members to sign over the rights of the name to him...

i could why somebody wouldnt want to work with him

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

ok but lets consider the following -

axl went on late at every show
he had countless legal battles with various opponents
he had an incredible temper - (see st. louis)
he forced the rest of the band members to sign over the rights of the name to him...

i could why somebody wouldnt want to work with him

Hasn't it been proven he didn't "force" them to sign over the rights?  At least I'm pretty sure Axl said that was untrue, if you choose to believe him.  And I do, at least in that instance.

You forgot to mention that all the other original members, save for Axl, had MAJOR drug issues that hindered band dynamics.

Sky Dog wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

While I am no Axlite, I am not a Slash nutswinger neither.  Your take is interesting but makes Axl out to be too much of a Saint.  Duff as always said it best for why GNR broke up.  Success came too fast too soon for that band.  They were not ready for that success.  They all got big heads, big egos and it eventually clashed cause no one was backing down.  I remember Duff also saying (or maybe it was someone else) that during the illusions sessions, there were big battles going on with band members saying "I will play on your song only if you play or sing on mine.  Or I will play on your song only if I can sing on mine".  GNR broke up not just because of Axl, but also not just because of Slash.  I do not believe everything Axl says about this and do not believe everything Slash says about this.  I think there's a middle in all of this.  Remember it takes to fight.  Axl didn't fight alone and neither did Slash.  My take is that they both have faults in this.

ha! Karma.....even though you may be slightly intoxicated. 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This was a major break up, a bitter divorce and now they both have too much pride to realize they both fucked up.  Very sad actually.

Sky Dog wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I supported Axl cause I wanted to hear what he could come up with.  After all I had heard what the others were able to come up with.  And while Axl's record may be in some ways better than what the others came up with, it was still very forgetable.  So in that sense since they broke up, they've all suffered from this musically.

true, I still would take Chinese over any other former band members album. But, to me, the first Ju Ju Hounds record and actually Tommy's VGH are pretty close in songs I actually listen to on a random day. hmm

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Tommy's VGH is the only solo album I've managed to listen to extensively without getting mental problems from the lack of quality and content.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Interesting take.

Smoking Guns is right. This is a straight 'ole bitter divorce. Somewhere in the middle lies the real truth.

I do personally feel however that Duff was caught in the middle here. I've always thought he supported Axl, but at the same time, just couldn't work on Axl's timeframe of the "hurry up and wait" policy of Axl's GN'R.

Board footer