You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Eminem gets all up in that ass

Axlin16 wrote:

Eminem has left the building
Source: LA Times

6a00d8341c630a53ef01156fbf71f7970c-pi

It probably wasn’t the comeback Eminem wanted. His appearance at the MTV Movie Awards this year will be a hard one to top. Unfortunately, it had nothing to do with his music.

Two hours of live product placement, the MTV Movie Awards don’t come back with much in the way of live music. There were two performances tonight – Eminmen and Kings of Leon. For Eminem, this represented his first major appearance since the release of his No. 1 album, “Relapse.”

He brought an award-show staple – a medley of recent singles “We Made You” and “Crack a Bottle.” But Eminem’s best performance came a few minutes later in the stands, when Sacha Baron Cohen’s flamboyantly gay character Bruno descended from the rafters in angel wings and landed, butt-first, in Eminem’s face.

Punches were thrown, curse words were lip-read and Eminem stormed out with a scowl. Credit MTV for having a little fun with the often humorless rapper, who's long been a source of controversy for what many have deemed homophobic lyrics. In fact, the episode gave MTV what many of its recent award galas have lacked – a moment that felt a little daring.

Was it staged? Most likely. Eminem is a master pitchmen, and he’s used his homophobic tag to move records before (see the Grammys’ 2001 performance with Elton John). But if it was planned, Emimen should have stuck around and had more fun with the moment. After all, storming out was the obvious move, and what we’d expect from Em (as is much of “Relapse”). 

But if it wasn’t staged, score one for Cohen, who showed that the rapper, who hadn’t released an album of new material since 2004’s “Encore,” hasn’t grown up in the slightest.

This is the funniest thing ever that's happened on MTV. 1413

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Would be funnier if it wasn't a manufactured media event.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but it's still pretty damned funny, especially a guy like Em, willing to kind of lose the whole "rap tough guy" schtick that wore thin like 15 years ago.

It's gotta be better than Tom Green sucking a cow's tits for the 99th time.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

If thats what you have to do to promote your album these days, no wonder Axl just stayed home.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

If thats what you have to do to promote your album these days, no wonder Axl just stayed home.

14  You might be right.  Maybe Axl does know what he's doing after all.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'll have to watch it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a Sasha Baron Cohen schtik that Eminem was not in on, and he really did get pissed off. Gotta admit, it is funny that a guy rapping about how tough he is, and his life has been, can't take a little fun at being the one laughed at. Reminds me of alot of kids I went to high school who thought they were the cool kids. Always funny unless the jokes on them, then they have anger issues.

Axlin08 wrote:

This is the funniest thing ever that's happened on MTV. 1413

I still gotta go with Jim Carey's 99 acceptance speech.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

I don't blame him for getting upset if it wasn't staged but I think that he should've handled things differently.

Personally I wouldn't be angry in any way if a guy/woman did that to me for some reason but... I wouldn't exactly be comfortable.

Well, except if it was Bruno. I'd enjoy that.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah and one I don't get at that. Guy sells 600k in his debut week and does something like this? I don't get it.

That's because it wasn't staged.

Cohen is all about sending up, and satirizing typically bigoted people. Just watch Borat. With the gay thing with Bruno, he's going after those types. He went after racists in Borat.

Eminem, with whole 'fag hatin' back in the day, would be the FIRST guy he would target to put one over on.

I hope it's not staged, and I say that as a Em fan. Even though I enjoy his songs/rap, he seems to be a total self-absorbed homophobic douche bag in real life.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Its definitely staged. MTV would never allow a star like Eminem to be put in such a situation unless he knew about it beforehand. It gives all parties involved a buzz. Its currently the top news story on Yahoo.

It worked.

Award shows are choreographed to the last nanosecond anyways, and you can bet incidents such as this are as well.

Board footer