You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Axl's fired and re hired Azoff 3 times in last 5 weeks!

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Ditch this Chinese shit and era(or wrap it in a box like Madagas said), and come back next year with a marketable lineup capable of writing killer tunes.

Axl
Tommy
DJ Ashba
Kim Thayil
Justine Frischmann
Pitman
Dizzy
Greg Bissonette

Amazing lineup in place, killer songs written and ready for launch pad.

The problem with further New GNR releases is that UMG will probably refuse to release it because of how bad that CD did.

It did alright considering no artist participation. Imagine if Axl went outside his house and had a lineup the media was interested in?

*exits fantasy land*

Re-enter fantasy land, and realize that even that lineup would further drive the lunacy and hysterics of this ridiculous idea of GN'R into the ground.

Here's a better option...

Axl
Slash
Ron
Izzy
Duff
Matt
Dizzy
Chris

Do "Guns Reloaded", the real band's first original album of studio material since 1991, and relaunch that mother fucker. The right way. 9

The thing is, other than Slash... that lineup is VERY possible actually.

*exit fantasy land again*

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

I always said the 2nd album will tell the tale on this GNR lineup.

If u don't think there was a "curiosity factor" involved with CD, u are kidding yourselves.

People use that argument with why VR did great with CB and shitty with Libertad but yet when it is used towards GNR all of a sudden it is a dumb theory.

I think Axl purposely didn't market the album just to get sales from people who had no idea this was a new band. if he did a shit load of promo, more people would realize this was a new band and maybe not be as interested.

I'd love for Axl to release a killer new album, do promo, tour etc but there is nothing he has done in the last 15 years that would make me think he is capable of doing that so we are all kidding ourselves.

If Axl's plan was to do ZERO promotion for the album so the public wouldn't realize it was a new band with hopes he'd gain sales, that plan failed miserably.  In fact if that was his plan, why in the only interviews he gave bring up Slash and make it obvious he's no longer in the band and how much hatred he has for the man?  That doesn't sound like a way to increase sales.  Methinks sales weren't at the top of Axl's priority list.  If they were things would've gone down a little differently.

As for the VR/GNR comparison.  When VR hit the scene in 2004, Guns N' Roses were 2 years removed from a failed comeback.  They were on hiatus, Buckethead was gone.  Things were gloomy at best and it wasn't clear if we'd ever hear anything from them ever again.  So for me, I was psyched at the prospects of having 3 guys from GNR and Scott Weiland, who I liked in STP, working together.  It was, for me, the next best thing.  And at the time, maybe the only thing left with any GNR ties.  And I'll assume I wasn't alone in that thinking.  I think even Jarmo was a fan of theirs at first wasn't he?  Then GNR came back in 2006 and VR took a much needed backseat (in my book).  They've been there ever since.  I bought Libertad but wasn't nearly as excited about it since GNR were "active" again.  It also didn't help that I didn't think it was anywhere near as strong as their debut. 

And as for the Chinese Democracy curiosity factor.  It's hard to keep up the curiosity for anything for 15 years, don't you think?  How'd those new Star Wars movies do?  People may have been fans of GNR but gave up when the original members started to leave.  Maybe people were interested when GNR reappeared in 2001, but when things fell apart in 2002 more gave up.  The next 4 years brought absolutely nothing to the table to add to any curiosity factor.  By 2006, was there really that much curiosity left?  Well another tour cut short and it looked like more of the same and then, bam, the album came out, out of nowhere really.  Bottom line, I think the curiosity factor is vastly overblown.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

And as for the Chinese Democracy curiosity factor.  It's hard to keep up the curiosity for anything for 15 years, don't you think?  How'd those new Star Wars movies do?  People may have been fans of GNR but gave up when the original members started to leave.  Maybe people were interested when GNR reappeared in 2001, but when things fell apart in 2002 more gave up.  The next 4 years brought absolutely nothing to the table to add to any curiosity factor.  By 2006, was there really that much curiosity left?  Well another tour cut short and it looked like more of the same and then, bam, the album came out, out of nowhere really.  Bottom line, I think the curiosity factor is vastly overblown.

That's the crux of his problem right there.  He (Axl) shoots himself in the foot whenever an opportunity presents itself, usually by inaction.  The curiosity factor could have been exploited in 2001/2002 but I have no idea why that didn't work out.  The best explanation was the record company wanted a hit single and Axl went back into the studio and tried to write one or tweak the existing songs to make it sound like a hit.  2001 was the year of the bad excuses for me if I recall correctly as they cancelled a European Tour because Axl just found out about it on the internet.

The problem with Chinese Democracy in all its phases is that at the end of the day I'm not sure how much he has grown the fanbase.  Most of the original GNR fanbase eventually moved on to more active bands or they just dig out AFD, Lies, UYI, and TSI albums.  The fans gained during 2001, 2002, and 2006 tours, grew tired of waiting for the damn thing to come out and some just moved on.  If they stuck around, their initial enthusiasm for the album became restrained  see davegnr2k as an example.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Re-enter fantasy land, and realize that even that lineup would further drive the lunacy and hysterics of this ridiculous idea of GN'R into the ground.

Here's a better option...

Axl
Slash
Ron
Izzy
Duff
Matt
Dizzy
Chris

Do "Guns Reloaded", the real band's first original album of studio material since 1991, and relaunch that mother fucker. The right way. 9

The thing is, other than Slash... that lineup is VERY possible actually.

*exit fantasy land again*

Here's a  better idea....

Axl
Slash
Izzy
Duff
Matt

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Here's an even better idea
Axl,Slash,izzy,duff,steven

Those Star Wars movies were HUGE, so yeah curiosity was huge. I went and watched them strictly on curiosity factor as I was just a casual fan.

I think we on message forums still don't realize that the grand majority of people have no idea who is in and who isn't in GNR

I remember on my bon jovi forum, people bought tickets to see GNR and were absolutely SHOCKED when they found out Slash and CO weren't there.

Axl bringing up Slash in those interviews was way after CD fell from the charts and maybe he was looking to use that as some publicity.

I've told this story to death but I'll tell it again, I went to a Kiss concert back in 2000 or so and Skid Row was opening and i was fucking excited. I thought Baz looked weird, gained a bit of weight and lost some of his voice......... I found out like a year later he wasn't in the fucking band.

so don't assume cause you know, everybody knows.

why did they release CD as the first single? most common answer, it sounded most like old GNR.... hmmmmmmmmmmm

how come u have to this day NEVER seen a band photo of GNR.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
-D- wrote:

Here's an even better idea
Axl,Slash,izzy,duff,steven

Having read Slash's book; would this even be possible? it says Matt did things in songs Steven simply wasn't good enough to do. Some old GNR shit Slash did with other people got him in trouble because Steven couldn't play it, but with Matt on board they could have used their ideas themselves.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Have you seen Adler's Appetite? when Sober he is more than capable.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Absolutely. Leave it like it is. It's the best thing if a reunion isn't planned. And it's not.

It will just create more branches of fans, a more divided fanbase.

-D-

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't buy the "curiosity factor." Anyone with CD curiosity could have streamed it on myspace or heard the leaks. I just don't see the casual music buying public being very curious about GNR. If they were, there were outlets where they could hear it and wouldn't have to spend a dime.

People keep going on about how Myspace has streamed it 4 million times

that doesn't equal 4 million people.

Hell I streamed it 100 times myself.

I bet GNR racked up a lot of sales by casual rock fans walking into BB and seeing that Guns N Roses has a new album out and thought COOL, lets buy it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Was there any curiosity factor for CD?  Even the 4 million hits on their myspace for the album pretty much matches the world wide sells. I really don't think their was any curiosity factor in CD sells. If there was it wasn't much.

Seriously?  Curiosity was almost all the sales and every sale to a non-forum member.

And that's a fact that... you just made up. Nice....:haha:

It's so obvious that it's a given.  I bet you can't name me 1 person you know that bought the album because they liked a song they heard on the radio.  Sorry, the sales were forum members, long time fans, and the curious.  It sums up exactly why sales fell off the face of the earth.  Deny it all you want, it's the obvious answer.

Board footer