You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Axl's fired and re hired Azoff 3 times in last 5 weeks!

Olorin wrote:

There comes a point when you have to let go of the ball though. He said there were a few completed and approved versions to choose between but they still put out a draft. If anyone should have been stepping in it was Azoff, he is the fucking manager, he is supposed to deal with ironing these things out, not the singer.

I agree this was a legendary recording and should have been presented much better, errors aside. I love the artwork Axl chose by Shi Lifeng, I hope the approved version has more of his work as well as a higher standard of presentation, I thought the one we got was quite a tacky layout overall.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That just means the band never really meant something to you, which is ok.  To some people, the band and the music played a huge role in our lives.  You can't discount that because you weren't emotionally involved.  Others were.  Some still are.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I understand the people on the other side of the spectrum from me.  I don't always agree with them or get what they are saying, but I can relate to being passionate about the music that means something to them.  I respect it even when I don't get it (like the Robin love for example).

The band does mean something to us, to an extent. The original line up didn't leave a huge hole for me. I loved AFD and UYI, but I really wasn't devastated when the original line up dissolved.... And to be honest, when I heard Axl had put together a new band, and who those members were, I was more excited about GNR than I ever had been. And Robin was a big part of that. But that excitement pretty much fizzled from what it was. I'm still interested, but the potential that was there will never be lived up to. Which is sadder to me than anything involving GNR.

I wouldn't say the band means nothing to us, it obviously does. We just have a different attachment to the band and our outlooks are VASTLY different. I don't really get the anger. And I've given up responding to instigating digs at the new line up and Robin because I know where it's coming from. And I do respect how people feel about it and I bite my tongue a lot because of it. But for the most part I think the members on this board, despite all the shit that goes back and forth, are pretty respectful and tolerant of each others views. Even though it might have taken a while. 16

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That just means the band never really meant something to you, which is ok.  To some people, the band and the music played a huge role in our lives.  You can't discount that because you weren't emotionally involved.  Others were.  Some still are.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I understand the people on the other side of the spectrum from me.  I don't always agree with them or get what they are saying, but I can relate to being passionate about the music that means something to them.  I respect it even when I don't get it (like the Robin love for example).

The band does mean something to us, to an extent. The original line up didn't leave a huge hole for me. I loved AFD and UYI, but I really wasn't devastated when the original line up dissolved.... And to be honest, when I heard Axl had put together a new band, and who those members were, I was more excited about GNR than I ever had been. And Robin was a big part of that. But that excitement pretty much fizzled from what it was. I'm still interested, but the potential that was there will never be lived up to. Which is sadder to me than anything involving GNR.

I wouldn't say the band means nothing to us, it obviously does. We just have a different attachment to the band and our outlooks are VASTLY different. I don't really get the anger. And I've given up responding to instigating digs at the new line up and Robin because I know where it's coming from. And I do respect how people feel about it and I bite my tongue a lot because of it. But for the most part I think the members on this board, despite all the shit that goes back and forth, are pretty respectful and tolerant of each others views. Even though it might have taken a while. 16

See I don't get that.  When Izzy, Slash and Duff left, to me GNR died.  And when I heard Axl was coming back with new guys.  To me it was a solo effort.  While I was excited and wanted to hear what he would come up with.  Robin was a non factor to me cause he was an unknown.  The only guy that really got me curious was Buckethead.  I thought it was a great idea to have him onboard.  Makes people talk.  When Bucket left all chances of Axl making this successful went away.  But the new lineup NEVER got me as excited as to who was truly GNR.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It's not an insult if the original band didn't speak to you.  That doesn't mean it meant nothing to you or that you didn't like it, that just means it didn't have the impact with you that it did with others.  That's ok.  Some people got that with the new band (somehow).  I don't understand it, but I respect it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I guess I can respect it, maybe on the aspect that they discovered GN'R later. Maybe they're young. Maybe their first GN'R show was the 2001-02 era or 2006-07 era. I personally was one of those who discovered Guns during the 1991-93 era, but didn't see them live until 2006.

But for the life of me, I cannot understand, how someone would at least not be upset at the dissolving of the old era, any lineup. This is the band that brought you ALL of the songs that you know and love, at least the version up to late 1991. This is the band that made you fall in love with their music.

I do not understand, how you can sit and listen to AFD, Lies & UYI, and talk about how much you love GN'R, but you prefer the new era to the old era. It makes no sense.

I never thought Guns had a chance to 'surpass' the old era. It was never going to happen. It's like this old great TV show, that's a total classic, runs for a few seasons, ends, and remains stuck in time a classic. Then you hear it's gonna revive on the network it was on, like 15 years after it was cancelled. Your first reaction is "great", but in reality you know it will never be what it was. It's impossible.

That's how I felt about GN'R. GN'R died for me on July 17, 1993. The Gilby on rhythm lineup was the last lineup I thought was altered, and could survive as what GN'R was. By the late-90's, I had heard about the new lineup, and frankly, thought it sucked balls, with the sole exception of Tommy Stinson. Robin sucked, Paul sucked, and I wasn't a fan of Josh Freese (although i've grown to appreciate him now). It was when Buckethead came on board that I was thrown back in my seat, and had interest in this reinvention. When he left, I actually still had interest, because at the time, there were rumors that John 5 was going to be his replacement. Still very interested. Then Ron comes on board, and although he's not Bucket, he's still a very good guitarist, and I say "this is cool", and Axl's promising 2006 is the year. I see them live, and they kicked all kinds of ass, and the album will be released the next month after I see them. Comes and goes no album. Then the bullshit Press Release - that's when I officially tipped my cap to them, and walked out the door.

I can understand someone saying "Bucket played this solo better than Slash" here and there. But to say, "I liked the new era over the old era" or "I wasn't really upset that the old era ended", just makes no sense to me.

As much as I love me some Chinese Democracy, I still would trade it in any day of the week to have even the 1992-93 touring band back. THAT was Guns N' Fuckin' Roses.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I do not understand, how you can sit and listen to AFD, Lies & UYI, and talk about how much you love GN'R, but you prefer the new era to the old era. It makes no sense.

It's sort of liking "the new daddy" more than the "old daddy" because "old daddy" left you a long time ago and you're just so happy the "new daddy" came into your life.

Musician-wise and live-wise I prefer the 2002 era because they were simply much better live.

"I liked the new era over the old era"

Speaking on general terms, no, It doesn't make much sense saying such a thing.

You sort of have to differentiate what you're speaking about in the first place.

People just have to put a big, fat red line into their heads. Put it in 1997, 1998 or 1999. Just put it there. Whipe out everything band vs band wise. Focus on CD as the album that speaks for the new band, understand why Axl plays the old stuff out of logical reasons live, but never forget that it's not the same band playing.

No wonder GNR fans are fucked up.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think the live performances of the classic songs sucked in 2001-2002 with a few exceptions. BH was good, sometimes great, but Robin... hey his playing was an insult. Paul can't play guitar, it's obvious, the live shows proved it and Brain just isn't the man for the old songs. The band wasn't together, the performances fell apart, not to mention  Axl's awful helium/Mickey Mouse voice back then.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't know what to tell you, Axlin. I was 8 years old when I got into GNR - When AFD came out. I liked them from the moment I saw Jungle the first time. I went through the UYI and TSI? (which I like btw) but it didn't break my heart Slash wasn't in the band anymore. I never saw Slash as a Jimmy Page type figure. And I never put GNR on the same level as Zeppelin or The Stones, either. I really followed GNR for Axl. Slash was cool, but wasn't the main reason I liked the band. That band changed, to me anyway, the moment Izzy wasn't in the band. So, I was pretty accepting of GNR as the Axl Rose show.  And there was a lot I didn't like about UYI and I wasn't real hyped about a future, imo, "throw back" classic rock type album. Plus, my tastes have always been geared towards Alternative Rock, that might have something to do with it, too. Again, it's a matter of what appeals to you. I'm not slamming anyone who sees things totally different than I do, and prefers it the other way around. 

It just comes down to me prefering Robin, Bucket, Tommy and Brain over an album with the old guys. The music I thought I'd get from them is what I got. That's why I still follow this band and I prefer all the "new-line up" recordings over a lost "old-line up" album (I'd still be interested in hearing it though, and I'm not saying its meaningless)... The new music touches me more as a whole than 'a some of its parts', like UYI. I love the feel and sound of the new band. That doesn't change my feelings for AFD, which I still love. But I know I would have never got another AFD from the old-line up. The direction they were heading was something I wasn't interested in. It might not be totally fair, but going by VR and SSP I'm pretty sure I was right.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If you were 8 when AFD came out, it makes sense that you'd be geared more towards the 90s alternative music than the 80s Rock music.  Your most impressionable years were in the early to mid 90s.  I'm a little older than you - my most impressionable years were the GnR heyday, and as an instrumentalist, I was drawn to Slash more than I was Axl.  I loved Axl, but not at the same level I loved Slash.  I understand where you're coming from and even why you prefer the new band. 

That little note explained more to me about you than the years you've been posting here.  Karma.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't know what to tell you, Axlin. I was 8 years old when I got into GNR - When AFD came out. I liked them from the moment I saw Jungle the first time. I went through the UYI and TSI? (which I like btw) but it didn't break my heart Slash wasn't in the band anymore. I never saw Slash as a Jimmy Page type figure. And I never put GNR on the same level as Zeppelin or The Stones, either. I really followed GNR for Axl. Slash was cool, but wasn't the main reason I liked the band. That band changed, to me anyway, the moment Izzy wasn't in the band. So, I was pretty accepting of GNR as the Axl Rose show.  And there was a lot I didn't like about UYI and I wasn't real hyped about a future, imo, "throw back" classic rock type album. Plus, my tastes have always been geared towards Alternative Rock, that might have something to do with it, too. Again, it's a matter of what appeals to you. I'm not slamming anyone who sees things totally different than I do, and prefers it the other way around. 

It just comes down to me prefering Robin, Bucket, Tommy and Brain over an album with the old guys. The music I thought I'd get from them is what I got. That's why I still follow this band and I prefer all the "new-line up" recordings over a lost "old-line up" album (I'd still be interested in hearing it though, and I'm not saying its meaningless)... The new music touches me more as a whole than 'a some of its parts', like UYI. I love the feel and sound of the new band. That doesn't change my feelings for AFD, which I still love. But I know I would have never got another AFD from the old-line up. The direction they were heading was something I wasn't interested in. It might not be totally fair, but going by VR and SSP I'm pretty sure I was right.

Most thought out and well explained reason I've ever heard for preferring the new era over the old era. +1 Karma for you sir.

Board footer