You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Use Your Illusion II

Axlin16 wrote:

Ritz '88 is a great one. Too bad a cleaned up version, was never officially released. That's also better than the studio version by lightyears.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

LALD sounds incredibly bland and lifeless on UYI I. Listen to a live version back then, then listen to it on the album. Its like night and day.

Even though I think UYI I is superior, if I made one disc out of the set, more from UYI II would probably make it. The "big guns" are mainly tracks like NR, Estranged, The Garden, Dont Cry, Civil War,etc., and those songs are complimented more with tracks like Yesterdays, So Fine, and Breakdown.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Haha, I always thought the live version in the UYI era was bland and lifeless.

The only live version of LALD I like is the 2002 performances.

LALD: 2002-live > UYI1 studio > anything else

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

A little off topic, but we all loved "The Garden". Wonder why it didnt do better back when it was released? I remember seeing the video a couple times on the Headbangers Ball, but that was it. GNR were huge then, so I didnt really understand that.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Some songs just don't catch, and as someone who loved The Garden, I can honestly say - it didn't have mass appeal.

Just that kind of song.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The Garden would have been huge had it been one of the first singles released from it. GNR were massive, and Alice was on a roll at the time as well. They released it as a single during the grunge era and nobody cared.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I was like 12 at the time, and I thought maybe the video was too risque or something! 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The Garden would have been huge had it been one of the first singles released from it. GNR were massive, and Alice was on a roll at the time as well. They released it as a single during the grunge era and nobody cared.

Yeah, but that's really not a comment on the power of The Garden.

If it was Spring 1991, GN'R could've put out Bad Apples as the first single from UYI, and it'd been huge.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Nice thread OP !
Filler?  none imo, least song was my world. It could have been better if the rest of the band would have actually worked on it.
I bet ive worn out 3 or 4 sets of the uyi disks & tapes over the years,

Itchy GTR
 Rep: 5 

Itchy GTR wrote:

You also have to consider that when they were recording use your illusion I & II the band members were going through some 'heavy distractions' across the board. Perhaps if they didn't suffer the departion of Steven Adler; Axl and Slash starting to get on each others nerves; Izzy losing site and faith in the band; Duff (perhaps drinking a little too much) and on top of all this the sudden impact of fame and pressure on the group as a whole, they might of made some better decisions on what songs to keep on both releases and which ones should of been left off those two releases.
But when success hits you like that and you're world is a roller coaster ride it's difficult to write and record songs for a follow-up. Plus the fact that it wasn't just the band or Axl and Slash trying to produce both LPs and satisfy the whole, the producer and Bob Geffen had their opinions on all the tracks that were being recorded. What a hell of a way to make a supreme follow-up to Appetite.
What's funny is when they made Appetite I bet they didn't have half the difficulties in making that lp. Yet that lp still stands the test of time. Not bad for just setting up some microphones and capturing the band onto tape without all those extra executive decisions and studio tricks. 5

Board footer