You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: GnREvolution Movie Madness - Discussion and Results Thread

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Smokey and The Bandit is better than anything Pixar has ever made.

Also better are Goodfellas, Apocalypse Now, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, PSYCHO, Ferris Bueller, Shawshank, Terminator 2, The Dark Knight, The Wizard of Oz, Aliens, and i'm sure there's more i'm not remembering...

If Toy Story wins this, it'll make a mockery of this entire contest.

Damn, here's me thinking it was a bit of fun. If I knew so much was at stake I would've never nominated Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park tongue

No that's fine, there's nothing wrong with nominating franchise films imo. As a matter of fact, some of the most successful films of all time have been sequels.

I nominated The Dark Knight. But even I didn't feel it was worthy to win it all, against films like Psycho, Goodfellas & Apocalypse Now, among others.

Not that this will happen, but when you do these contests, and you have movies like Toy Story or Willie Wonka cleaning house, the contest loses all credibility.

Star Wars - prime example. New Hope should've NEVER been nominated. It should've been Empire Strikes Back all day long.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Also better are Goodfellas, Apocalypse Now, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, PSYCHO, Ferris Bueller, Shawshank, Terminator 2, The Dark Knight, The Wizard of Oz, Aliens, and i'm sure there's more i'm not remembering..

Really!?! Because way I see it Pixar make of the films with the greatest escapist storylines in years. There seems be a horrible prejudice against a film just because it's rated G/U or PG, and I don't know why. Doesn't need to have a high rating to be a good film.

Nobody is saying that Toy Story isn't a great film. I just watched Wall-E, and I liked it.

No one is doubting these films quality. But if you really think Toy Story is actually in contention with films like Psycho & Shawshank, you need to get outside of Bucket's chicken shack once in awhile.

Oh, and by the way, Wizard of Oz, Smokey and The Bandit & all the Star Wars films are PG too. Ferris Bueller & The Dark Knight also, are only PG-13.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Also better are Goodfellas, Apocalypse Now, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, PSYCHO, Ferris Bueller, Shawshank, Terminator 2, The Dark Knight, The Wizard of Oz, Aliens, and i'm sure there's more i'm not remembering..

Really!?! Because way I see it Pixar make of the films with the greatest escapist storylines in years. There seems be a horrible prejudice against a film just because it's rated G/U or PG, and I don't know why. Doesn't need to have a high rating to be a good film.

Nobody is saying that Toy Story isn't a great film. I just watched Wall-E, and I liked it.

No one is doubting these films quality. But if you really think Toy Story is actually in contention with films like Psycho & Shawshank, you need to get outside of Bucket's chicken shack once in awhile.

Oh, and by the way, Wizard of Oz, Smokey and The Bandit & all the Star Wars films are PG too. Ferris Bueller & The Dark Knight also, are only PG-13.

Oh you got the wrong end of the stick there. I wasn't saying Toy Story could contend with Psycho, Shawshank etc. I'm not a dillusional fool don't worry.:haha:

It's more I don't understand the whole "X Film must go", "Can't believe kiddy bullshit beat this" when maybe it's just those "kiddy" films are more liked. I mean there's an obvious reason TCM lost to Wonka. Familiarity. Everyone has seen Wonka and most people at the least enjoy it, now when you get a genre like horror, regardless of the film's status as a cult classic, if people haven't seen it or don't enjoy the genre greatly it's gonna go. I think Neemo said horror doesn't fare well in these a while back and well he's right. It's not niche but there are a lot of people it doesn't appeal to and those people aren't gonna vote for it just because of it's "cult" status.

EDIT: Did we just as a collective whole let Wonka become one of the Top 8 Movies ever 16

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

It's more I don't understand the whole "X Film must go", "Can't believe kiddy bullshit beat this" when maybe it's just those "kiddy" films are more liked. I mean there's an obvious reason TCM lost to Wonka. Familiarity. Everyone has seen Wonka and most people at the least enjoy it, now when you get a genre like horror, regardless of the film's status as a cult classic, if people haven't seen it or don't enjoy the genre greatly it's gonna go. I think Neemo said horror doesn't fare well in these a while back and well he's right. It's not niche but there are a lot of people it doesn't appeal to and those people aren't gonna vote for it just because of it's "cult" status.

You're more of less correct here.  I think the happier films are easier to rewatch and you don't have to invest that much emotionally into them.  Take a look at most of the eliminations--they're usually darker films in general.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Not that this will happen, but when you do these contests, and you have movies like Toy Story or Willie Wonka cleaning house, the contest loses all credibility.

I know I whine about this every few days, but I REALLY wish we had did this differently. The Madness series was a good idea but we just dove into movies after the song series ended and we really sold ourselves short. Wonks is a cool flick. Used to watch it constantly when I was a kid. Having said that, in no way, shape or form should that be destroying serious films.

Everyone has seen Wonka and most people at the least enjoy it, now when you get a genre like horror, regardless of the film's status as a cult classic, if people haven't seen it or don't enjoy the genre greatly it's gonna go. I think Neemo said horror doesn't fare well in these a while back and well he's right.

Cult classic my ass. Its one of the most influential films of all time, and while it might hang around in some cult purgatory to some people, everyone and their grandma has watched it and most people who have seen it were truly disturbed by it. Its truly a horror flick and not in the 'invincible slasher killer' type of way. You are one wrong turn away from running into that type of insanity. I can understand it not winning, but to lose to Willy Wonka should be a criminal offense.

By the way, Hooper was aiming for a PG rating. Didn't get it because its so terrifying, and in some countries it was rated X. In fact, there's no gore at all and the only blood shown onscreen is real blood.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I know I whine about this every few days, but I REALLY wish we had did this differently. The Madness series was a good idea but we just dove into movies after the song series ended and we really sold ourselves short. Wonks is a cool flick. Used to watch it constantly when I was a kid. Having said that, in no way, shape or form should that be destroying serious films.

Everyone has seen Wonka and most people at the least enjoy it, now when you get a genre like horror, regardless of the film's status as a cult classic, if people haven't seen it or don't enjoy the genre greatly it's gonna go. I think Neemo said horror doesn't fare well in these a while back and well he's right.

Cult classic my ass. Its one of the most influential films of all time, and while it might hang around in some cult purgatory to some people, everyone and their grandma has watched it and most people who have seen it were truly disturbed by it. Its truly a horror flick and not in the 'invincible slasher killer' type of way. You are one wrong turn away from running into that type of insanity. I can understand it not winning, but to lose to Willy Wonka should be a criminal offense.

By the way, Hooper was aiming for a PG rating. Didn't get it because its so terrifying, and in some countries it was rated X. In fact, there's no gore at all and the only blood shown onscreen is real blood.

Doesn't real blood make it more gruesome?(I am genuinely confused don't worry it's not a sarccy way of making a point or anything)

I'm not arguing for or against TCM being eliminated. I'm just explaining why and that's because of familiarity and people being able to more easily enjoy films like Wonka. Just because someone finds a film scary and was disturbed by it still doesn't mean they'd like it more than a kids film or something. My main reason for voting for Wonka was I hadn't seen the original and in hindsight that was a poor error of judgement and I probably should have missed that round out. Don't worry I'm on your side now after Wonka beat Misery I realised it was a force that had to be stopped 16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Round 2 Stats

Most Lopsided Victory: 7 votes, Star Wars (13) over The Dark Knight (6); Terminator 2 (14) over Fight Club (7)
Closest Battle: 1 Vote, Ferris Bueller's Day Off (8) over The Shawshank Redemption (7);  Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (9) over Misery (8)
Most Votes: 21, Terminator 2 (14) over Fight Club (7)
Least Votes: 14, Apocalypse Now (8) over The Exorcist (6); Aliens (8) over Psycho (6)

Users with 2 nominations moving on to round 3: russtcb

Users with 2 nominations voted off after round 2: Axlin08, downliner, Saikin, Mikkamakka, A Private Eye, AtariLegend, Olorin, slashsfro, NY Giants82

Users with 1 nomination remaining: Communist China, Aussie, monkeychow, Handsome B. Wonderful, James Lofton, Axl S

movies moving on to round 3

Aliens (1986)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Goodfellas (1990)
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Toy Story (1995)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

Star War to draw Wonka. Star Wars to draw Wonka.Pleeeassee

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Star War to draw Wonka. Star Wars to draw Wonka.Pleeeassee

That would require that we live in a perfect world.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I'm getting a bit of a Wonka Bar just watching all the big scalps that movie is taking 16

You can blame me for the Wonka nomination, but that's only because T2 and Star Wars were already nominated.  They are my two favourite films!  If either of those go up against Wonka, then my boot will be placed firmly up Wonka's butt!

Board footer