You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Best album of the 90s- Nominations

RussTCB wrote:

removed

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You wanna know an album that I'm literally in shock because it hasn't been nominated yet?

Cracked Rear View.

I think GNR fans hate it because for a few years in the mid 90s, it eclipsed Appetite for Destruction as the biggest selling debut album of all time. 14

See my list, I've got it on there. 22

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Got around to checking some release dates and edited my original list to add some. Hole, REM, Beastie Boys, etc.

Holy shit. Totally forgot the Beastie Boys. They deserve to make it for Sabotage alone. 9 Yeah REM deserves to make it, but which record? REM is like John Mellencamp, Rod Stewart,etc. where they've got a pretty big chunk of blah albums, but those blah albums contain a few tracks that will kick you in the ass.

Gonna have to seriously consider a major edit before this thing gets underway.

I may add John Mellencamp's Whenever We Wanted as well, although being the only person to do so wont get it nominated.

Get A Leg Up?

Love and Happiness?

Now More than Ever?

Listen to those three songs back to back and tell me they don't deserve a spot. 16

I do like Hole, but not enough for either record to even make my top 100. If we were doing songs instead of albums, Doll Parts would definitely make my list.

You wanna know an album that I'm literally in shock because it hasn't been nominated yet?

Cracked Rear View.

I think GNR fans hate it because for a few years in the mid 90s, it eclipsed Appetite for Destruction as the biggest selling debut album of all time. 14

oh lord, I knew I forgot one......Time Out of Mind-Bob Dylan.....Lanois producing, drop dead classic.

Might torrent this for shits and giggles. Highly doubt it makes my list, but I need to get over my dislike of Dylan and just dive in.

Mutations - Beck

Interesting choice Jimmy. I expected Beck to pop up on a list at some point, but was expecting to see Odelay, not Mutations.

James Sinead would def make my top 10/top 5 songs of the 90's. but not albums. Although admittedly I never really listened to it. Same with Elastica. Don't mean to change the tune but now I recall Sheryl Crow had a really good album in 93/95. I may add that too mine. I have heard New Rads album was really good, I should check that out.

This is why I wanted an extended nomination process. So we could all listen to some albums we either haven't heard, or went so many years without hearing.

If you have the time this week, go to Pirate Bay(or your favorite torrent) and download:

Sinead O Connor- I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
Elastica- Elastica
New Radicals- Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

You may or may not rediscover Sinead's brilliance by a quick listen, but I guarantee that anyone who listens to that New Radicals album will add it to their list. Its a crime that Greg Alexander broke that band up almost immediately after the album was released. This band would be massive now if he had only used his brain.

You guys remember that Santana song with Michelle Branch that was huge a few years back? He wrote it.

Yeah that Sheryl Crow album Tuesday Night Music Club was pretty damn good. I just checked Wiki, and supposedly it sold 7 million in the US. Bullshit. Everyone owned that album. 14

As far as Weezer goes, the Sweater Song kicks ten tons of ass. Can live without the rest.

I'll second Sinead's I Do Not Want What I haven't Got...needs to be on the list no doubt as it was a MAJOR record in the early 90's. 5

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Pearl Jam - Ten
Pearl Jam - Vs
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Pearl Jam - Yield
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Metallica - Metallica
Gwar - America Must Be Destroyed
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
Godsmack - Godsmack
Kid Rock - Devil Without A Cause
Tool - Aenima
Def Leppard - Adrenalize
The Offspring - Smash
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union
Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Nirvana - Nevermind
Green Day - Dookie
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Janet Jackson - janet. (simply for the alternate cover)
Michael Jackson - Dangerous (probably wouldn't have picked this a month ago)
C+C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat
TLC - Oooooooohhhh On the TLC Tip
Kriss Kross - Totally Crossed Out

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

I'll second Sinead's I Do Not Want What I haven't Got...needs to be on the list no doubt as it was a MAJOR record in the early 90's. 5

Yeah, its a travesty that everyone is overlooking it. Nothing Compares to U is just the tip of the iceberg.

Perfect example of this album being overlooked....

No offense meant to your picks Faldor. Just making a point. wink

As far as Sinead goes, when we get around to an 80s elimination, The Lion and the Cobra should be a shoe in.

Troy destroys about 90% of the songs we discuss here.

Another album I completely overlooked.

Love how there are quite a few Soundgarden fans here. At least two of their masterpieces must be represented in any type of 90s matchup, and everyone here realizes that. 22

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

Yeah, its a travesty that everyone is overlooking it. Nothing Compares to U is just the tip of the iceberg.

Perfect example of this album being overlooked....

No offense meant to your picks Faldor. Just making a point. wink

As far as Sinead goes, when we get around to an 80s elimination, The Lion and the Cobra should be a shoe in.

Troy destroys about 90% of the songs we discuss here.

Another album I completely overlooked.

Love how there are quite a few Soundgarden fans here. At least two of their masterpieces must be represented in any type of 90s matchup, and everyone here realizes that. 22

Ha ha, I was waiting for someone to pick up on the Kriss Kross.  I made sure to put it last on my list so it would get the extra exposure.  I somehow doubt it'll make the final list.  What can I say?  I was a fan.  I was in middle school when they hit it big and I went through my "wigger" phase trying to dress all ghetto.  I didn't quite take it to their extreme with the backwards jeans, although I did dress like that on Halloween that year.

No hip hop lovers in here?  I'm surprised Dr. Dre or Snoop Dogg haven't been mentioned.  Or have they?  Maybe I missed them.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Thanks to this thread, I got some old Soundgarden cds out that I hadnt listened to in a while yesterday. Man they made some fine music. One of those bands that was the soundtrack to my high school years... And man, "Outshined" is so fucking metal! 9

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Faldor I did put Dr Dre's The Chronic on mine. Nice list, btw, until I got to C&C & Kris Cross. lol, wasn't sure if that was a joke.

James you also forgot "Again Tonight" for Mellencamps album. I briefly considered it, but felt it wasn't quite up with some of the others, myb I'll add it in. You're right though, his records usually had 3 or 4 great songs, and 5 mediocre songs. Great talent though. I was going to put Hootie on, but decided against it as towards the end I had quite a few pop-alternative albums on already. That should probably get in though, love it or hate it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I nominated Chronic and Snoop's Doggystyle. They should both make it, even though this forum is all about rock music.

Board footer