You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Oh My God

Axlin16 wrote:

I disagree. I think an Axl instrumental album, would be much more Andrew Lloyd Webber, with piano pieces, similar to the like of hearing an album full of a bunch of piano & orchestral November Rain, Estranged, TWAT, This I Love, Prostitute, those types of things.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I disagree. I think an Axl instrumental album, would be much more Andrew Lloyd Webber, with piano pieces, similar to the like of hearing an album full of a bunch of piano & orchestral November Rain, Estranged, TWAT, This I Love, Prostitute, those types of things.

With This I Love the exception, all those songs required Slash, Bucket and others to elevate them to epic status, and while all fans casual and hardcore agree on the epicness of the above tracks, This I Love is very polarizing.

Not a coincidence.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but i'm referring to simply piano works, and maybe some backing horn's & orchestra's with synth.

I wouldn't imagine too many guitars. When I think "Axl solo instrumental album", my first thought goes to Axl playing his little piano intros to November Rain.

If an Axl solo instrumental album ever came to fruition, that's the direction I think it'd go.

And I think that the above tracks I mentioned, are pretty good, without a guitar.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah, but i'm referring to simply piano works, and maybe some backing horn's & orchestra's with synth.

I wouldn't imagine too many guitars. When I think "Axl solo instrumental album", my first thought goes to Axl playing his little piano intros to November Rain.

If an Axl solo instrumental album ever came to fruition, that's the direction I think it'd go.

And I think that the above tracks I mentioned, are pretty good, without a guitar.

Pretty good, but not great.....

Cornell is in the same boat. He is amazingly talented, but he needs people around him to truly make it shine. His solo material is very hit or miss, and he thrives in a band environment even when he has sole writing credits on the material.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I do agree with that, about Axl. I just think in this case, it was Chris Pitman that made him shine, not so much the guitar players.

And whoever did that orchestra on This I Love. It's the strongest part.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

That was Axl.

"Just wanted to ask this: out of all of the music you have written, what song are you most proud of?"

"Right now a lot on this album. For me musically it would have to be the orchestral arrangement in the bridge of TIL"

"Axl, do you think This I Love is still the heaviest thing you've written, or has another song popped up that now holds that title?"

"That's still it and ultimately a great healing experience to compose something you have no real idea you're capable of such as the bridge. It's a lot more intricate than I think most realize yet as the guitar and vocals are placed as they should be so dominant. The main string melody in that section I had originally written to a hip-hop loop as well."

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I think a solo album would be amazing, its still going to have other musicians on it, but it wouldnt necessarily be a hard rock album. I think it would be more like a movie score with long winding epics akin to The Great Gig In The Sky.

Interesting that a solo effort from someone who is so famous for being a singer, would be an instumental.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I've always been curious what it would be like.

This was a guy that at one time was recruting Moby to produce CD, as well as bringing Buckethead on board for GN'R.

I've wondered, would it be some ambient avant-garde instrumental album. Would be cool to hear Axl Rose instrumental trx in the next Michael Mann film. 16

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

With This I Love the exception, all those songs required Slash, Bucket and others to elevate them to epic status, and while all fans casual and hardcore agree on the epicness of the above tracks, This I Love is very polarizing.

Not a coincidence.

I do not know if Id say they required them. I think we cannot really tell. Who are we to say that if Slash hadnt wrote the Guitar parts that elevated Estranged to its Epic status, that Axl could not have stepped into the fore and created something which in their place could do the same?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

All I know is that Estranged was 'epic' when it was just Axl and a piano.

Board footer