You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: First song from my forthcoming album

monkeychow wrote:

Thanks for the info smile

I've been messing around for a few years with some cakewalk programs on my pc, just for demos and fun, but I want to take things to another level now and look at making something I can actually attempt to release comercially on itunes etc. So i'm trying to decide if i want to invest in a bunch of audio gear myself and learn now to engineer as well, or if I should just take my songs to a pro studio. I feel like the home gear is better value cos you keep it, but then that the studio offers knowhow and thus perhaps a better overall finished product. So i appriciate the tips.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I would definitley invest in your own gear - you're not confined to paying by the hour where invariably you'll be unhappy with the finished product because of the time contraints. But i would definitley recommend getting it mastered professionally as a last step - thats the real difference between a home recording and something you can look to release in some capacity

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Awesome thanks Jimmy...one last dumb question...to get it mastered do you send them like every track (guitar, bass, drum etc) as a protools (or whichever program) file...or do you just send them a completed mix as like a .wav or something and let them play with that?

Your songs are pretty interesting, are you going to be selling your album?

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

yeah - when getting it mastered, send it to them as uncompressed .wav files - after youve completed mixing and editing - it's essentially the final process in completing the sonics.

I am going to do a batch run of CD's and sell them in a few stores around my home town and will look to have on itunes also. doing a few gigs later this year to promote but it really is a personal/hobby type of thing as opposed to an attempt at a new career or anything - something i've been meaning to do forever now so im not too concerned with selling - i'll give it away likely and just hope some people like the odd song or two

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Cool. tune core is good for hitting up itunes i'm told if you decide to go that way.

Wish you all the best with it man. Keep us updated smile

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Here's my myspace page which has a couple of tracks from the album on it.

http://www.myspace.com/joefogarty1

Am launching the album with a gig in my hometown on August 13th. It will be available on itunes for anyone who's interested.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You should change that 'a' to an 'e' and market yourself as John Fogerty's long lost son. 14 Would be a way to get some publicity. 16

I'm intrigued by this because that first song was killer. I still listen to it from time to time. Listened to it alot those first few days, but there's so much music coming out I quickly moved on. I think thats what artists nowadays have the most trouble overcoming... the massive amount of competition and the fact people just bounce from artist to artist and have limited time to really dive in and key in on one specific artist/group.

Good example...

I was on a huge Tiny Masters of Today kick a couple weeks ago. Listened to their new album for almost a week straight. I've moved on to Frou Frou's album which I had never even heard of until a few days ago. Amanda Blank's album will be leaking any day now, and then I'll be listening to that non stop. I'm in my mid 30s, and if I'm doing this, the younger generation is even worse.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You should change that 'a' to an 'e' and market yourself as John Fogerty's long lost son. 14 Would be a way to get some publicity. 16

I'm intrigued by this because that first song was killer. I still listen to it from time to time. Listened to it alot those first few days, but there's so much music coming out I quickly moved on. I think thats what artists nowadays have the most trouble overcoming... the massive amount of competition and the fact people just bounce from artist to artist and have limited time to really dive in and key in on one specific artist/group.

Good example...

I was on a huge Tiny Masters of Today kick a couple weeks ago. Listened to their new album for almost a week straight. I've moved on to Frou Frou's album which I had never even heard of until a few days ago. Amanda Blank's album will be leaking any day now, and then I'll be listening to that non stop. I'm in my mid 30s, and if I'm doing this, the younger generation is even worse.

yea, we are James. I'm not quite as bad, but some friends of mine will jump from band to band on an every-other-day basis. Gets annoying sometimes.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Check out a new demo track I recorded called 'Goodnight little one' - a mellow instrumental.

http://www.myspace.com/joefogarty1

Hope you guys like

My album is 99% finished, so let me know if youd like a copy!

Board footer