You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: North Korea pardons U.S. journalists (or: Bill Clinton kicks ass)

North Korean President Kim Jong Il has pardoned and ordered the release of two U.S. journalists, state-run news agency KCNA said Wednesday.

The announcement came after former U.S. President Bill Clinton met with top North Korean officials in Pyongyang to appeal for the release of Laura Ling and Euna Lee, who had been arrested while reporting from the border between North Korea and China."

"Clinton expressed words of sincere apology to Kim Jong Il for the hostile acts committed by the two American journalists against the DPRK after illegally intruding into it," the news agency reported. "Clinton courteously conveyed to Kim Jong Il an earnest request of the U.S. government to leniently pardon them and send them back home from a humanitarian point of view."

"The meetings had candid and in-depth discussions on the pending issues between the DPRK and the U.S. in a sincere atmosphere and reached a consensus of views on seeking a negotiated settlement of them."

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiap … index.html

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

He will most likely want a blowjob by those women in return for his hard work.

Bill Clinton is the man.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It should've never gone this far in the first place.

There are days to be a tough guy, and there are other days to just play the game. They shouldn't have been where they were at to being with, and did technically illegally intrude. The apology should've been made long ago, just to suffice Kim Jong Il's own ego.

Politics. Cool that Clinton went over there and spoke on our and their behalf.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, these hikers & backpackers need to be told we can't bail your ass out all the time. These areas are dangerous & you can die!!  I read just the other days 3 or 4 20 somethings were arrested inside the Iranian border.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Clinton probably deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for this. That situation could have got extremely ugly and ignited a major war. Obama being president and ignoring it is the only reason nothing happened.

I also agree that American citizens have to start paying attention to what's going on. The journalists are not to blame, but when you're hanging around the border of North Korea, you're playing with fire.

DCK

DCK wrote:

Who the fuck wanna go to the border of North Korea anyway?

Why not like...just go to Cancun or Mallorca or whatever.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Because every journalist is looking to be the next major hotshit. To expose "the real story", and win a fucking award.

They're lucky enough someone gave a damn to go over there and try to get them out.

I don't need to know "the real story". I already know North Korea is a fucking hellhole.

DCK

DCK wrote:

Ah, they were journalists. Sometimes I should read a bit closer before I comment.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
DCK wrote:

Ah, they were journalists. Sometimes I should read a bit closer before I comment.

I'd use the term "journalists" loosely. I think it was more like "2 girls with a camcorder". I think they claim they were doing work for the cable channel "CurrentTV" but I think that channel takes homemade/independantly made segments. So I don't know that they were actually on the channels payroll, or just making something themselves. Wouldn't surprise me if they did cross the border so it would help the integrity of the documentary as it adds risk & actually shows footage inside North Korean borders.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's been said quite a bit they were working for CurrentTV. Plus Laura Ling is sister to Lisa Ling, which is a known journalist in the biz. So they were definitely employed.

If I remember correctly, they were trying to get into North Korea to expose the treatment of women. The irony is Lisa Ling used to do stuff like that ALL the time before getting on The View. Had some close calls, but never too much trouble. Laura Ling goes out, and gets captured, first try, lmao.

Board footer