You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Best Album of the 80s Elimination- Round 5

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i dunno who i hate more ... Chris Cornell, Trent Reznor or Perry Ferrell hmm

I love you. 14

Although I do 'like' Cornell, even though he's vastly overrated.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i dunno who i hate more ... Chris Cornell, Trent Reznor or Perry Ferrell hmm

I love you. 14

Although I do 'like' Cornell, even though he's vastly overrated.

Overrated? He's got one of the best voices in music.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

if you enjoy listening to 2 cats fucking 16 19

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Even if Cornell had one of the worst voices in history, he's one of the greatest songwriters ever. The guy can whip up masterpieces within weeks. Lets see any other artist we discuss here do the same thing. He wrote all the lyrics and most of the music for the Temple of the Dog record in weeks, and then immediately went and did Badmotorfinger with Soundgarden. Then he goes and whips up the best song on Sap. Then whips up the two best songs on the Singles soundtrack. All these things occurred within a year.

Not bad for a guy who supposedly sucks, and also not bad considering our favorite band was drowning us in self indulgent, bloated cheese during the same time frame.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with James. I think the man's songwriting ability is ace.

But vocally is where I seperate. The man has pipes, but what's the difference between him and Sammy Hagar? They sound identical, yet Hagar catches hell, and Cornell is revered.

Oh, and by the way, BOTH Got Me Wrong & Brother are better than Right Turn on Sap.

James

James wrote:

Cornell and Hagar identical?? Are you on crack? If there's one person on this planet that needs to dive back in to Cornell's discography, it's you.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Janes for me too at this stage I think.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

NIN and Jane's might have been my two favorite albums in this elimination, and my favorite touring line-up for around this summer. Oh well. I guess we really need 3 Metallica records, the most over-produced pop-rock album of all time, and cookie-cutter arena music more than anything that strives to be different.

James

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

NIN and Jane's might have been my two favorite albums in this elimination, and my favorite touring line-up for around this summer. Oh well. I guess we really need 3 Metallica records, the most over-produced pop-rock album of all time, and cookie-cutter arena music more than anything that strives to be different.

I know I say this every round, but you gotta look at those albums in that very strange late 80s/early 90s changing of the guard. Neither of those records were acknowledged when they were released. Are they both monumental albums? Is water moist? However, while this may be "BEST album of the 80s", its obvious there is a huge separation in what's on that list. You've got monster 80s albums that defined the decade, then you have these hugely influential records that helped define the 90s. They stick out like sore thumbs regardless of quality.

I agree with you that a few deserve to go before those two, but I understand why a big chunk of our participants are voting them off.

Imagine if Thriller and QR's Metal Health were released in 1978-79. Both were defining records, but wouldn't have stood a chance in a 70s elimination because they simply don't fit with everything else that decade.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Communist China wrote:

now you get a taste of what i endure in every other elimination we do....

Board footer