You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: How far for GNR?

Olorin wrote:

I understand the expense side of things, if its going to work out too expensive, thats life. I couldnt afford to go see AC/DC the other month and its probably the last time I'll ever have the opportunity. Thats just the way it goes unfortunately.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I planned ahead for the Nashville show in 2006.  That got me a hotel room in Nashville with no concert to see.  Fortunately we found some good local music at some of the bars on Lower Broad or I'd have been very unhappy.  I suppose it's my fault for assuming Axl would actually show up and prepaying for the room for a lower rate.

What, did they just not turn up that night? I'm suprised there wasnt another riot.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

they cancelled cuz of poor sales

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

With no notice? Thats poor.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's nice that everyone likes the current GN'R, and claims cash flow issues...

Just sayin'. I'm sure i'll be told how wrong I am.

Well we are dealing with the biggest global recession in 70 years, and while there's talk of a recovery I doubt many of us feel so financially secure that we could wager a big chunk of our savings on a gig when we might all get plunged into a really bad, record-breaking depression in the economy at any point, so i think finances are a bigger issue now than in 2006, even for those of us who are usually a bit reckless about our spending.

There's been some scary stuff going on in the world economies, and in my line of work, I just can't wager too much cash with an uncertain future - and yeah that goes doubly so for a band that has a 1 - in -7 strike rate for no-shows, and where I couldn't get my travel/accom etc refunded.

Re the whole issue of old band reunion, I personally don't want to see just a set from the Appetite/ UYI era, I doubt Adler could play the Illusion era songs these days, and I;d be peeved to see a band that moved forwards musically as much as Guns (going from Reckless Life to Madagascar f'instance) going back to being set in that period in time, like a museum exhibit.

It takes the new band to play the new material, and that's mainly what i want to see & hear live, i can always dig out a bootleg or stick on Lies if I want to see Slash, but those days are gone and I'd view a reunion as proof Axls lost the plot bigtime, and lost all confidence in himself as a ground-breaking musician.

Jmo, I like stuff like seeing Izzy come on with the new band, but that's about it.

Other people may feel differently, I get that. 21cool

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Olorin wrote:

With no notice? Thats poor.

There was some notice, but like I said, I prepaid the hotel room to get a better deal because the date was pretty close.  My fault for trusting Axl and I assure you it will never happen again.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's nice that everyone likes the current GN'R, and claims cash flow issues...

Somehow, me thinks if it were a reunited GN'R, you'd sell your first born to be there.

Just sayin'. I'm sure i'll be told how wrong I am.

Yes, you are wrong. I wouldn't do it. I've seen em the first time around. They were awesome. They would not be awesome now.

I cannot spend $50 to $100 for a ticket, take a day off work (if I had to) and travel into the city to see them. Too much investment when I have a house, cars, kids, pets, you know, responsibilities. GNR is not a priority anymore.

The only shows I go to are club shows, mainly Buckethead, where tickets are $20 or so, where I know when the band will be on stage and when they will roughly be done. I can see Bucket at the Vic or Metro, stand 3 feet away from him. Get 2 straight hours of music, no bullshitting, go home and be in bed by 1 a.m.

Just wanted to say "I hear you".

I really wish alot of artists worked like timework like too, and I understand the money issue.

You just posted a good post, and I didn't really know how to reply, and at the same time, I didn't want you to think I was just ignoring your good point.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Not to derail the thread with an old debate.....but I think rising ticket prices should be kept in mind whenever anyone thinks about music piracy too.

Live performance money used to be an add-on to the 'real' earners for musicans of royalities and so on.

These days the live scene is having to prop up not only the costs of the tour, but the lion's share of the artists own living expenses...income, and, for those artists that self prodcuce their own stuff, the costs of making and recording the music in the first place.

Until someone works out an alternative way to make musicans be able to earn a living from their music in the age of piracy, then live ticket prices are only going to get higher.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Not to derail the thread with an old debate.....but I think rising ticket prices should be kept in mind whenever anyone thinks about music piracy too.

Live performance money used to be an add-on to the 'real' earners for musicans of royalities and so on.

These days the live scene is having to prop up not only the costs of the tour, but the lion's share of the artists own living expenses...income, and, for those artists that self prodcuce their own stuff, the costs of making and recording the music in the first place.

Until someone works out an alternative way to make musicans be able to earn a living from their music in the age of piracy, then live ticket prices are only going to get higher.

Get the middlemen the fuck out of the process? The problem is mega companies and giant bands refusing to shift away from the old paradigm of consolidated power.

This might be a thread hijack, but before everyone goes out and blames Joe Public for not wanting to pay 18 dollars for a CD like he did in the good ol' days, let's remember the real enemies here, namely the RIAA and Media conglomerates.

Plight of the artists my butt, DIY bands have just as much opportunity as ever, and I think music piracy is a great tool for the little guy.

Lars, Hillary Rosen, Michael Powell, etc have done way more to screw the artists and fans of real music than I have by downloading a CD I might not have bought anyway.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Reminds me of the old story of the golden goose - we could wait patiently for the gold eggs on its terms, but no, we took a knife to help ourselves, and now all we have is a load of goose-guts... sad

I never download for free anything I can buy, but I realise that 99.9% of the world (mainly not people posting on fan forums for a band I suspect) wouln't give a damn about the long term effects, the way we've screwed the environment, and keep ON screwing it, shows that "long term" isn't our usual mode as a species.

Board footer