You are not logged in. Please register or login.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

Re: GNR Sued For Copying Songs

emcitymisfit wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Again....

No one is freaking out. The boards are simply discussing the first tidbit of real news to come along in a coon's age. Not sure how that can be interpreted as freaking out.

Are they freaking out over on HTGTH or something? Only boards I've looked at since this occurred are here and mygnr, and I haven't seen any freaking out.

Rye Rye announced the birth of her daughter last week. I told her congrats and wished her and her baby well. In other words, I "freaked out".

My mom freaked out a few days ago when she called wanting my recipe for miniature pizzas. I freaked out by giving it to her.

See, I freak out in other places besides GNR boards. tongue

LOFTOWNED

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The forums aren't "freaking out". They're just finally able to discuss something concrete on a band that never does anything. We're in October, and this is the biggest thing to happen the entire year. Says more about the band itself than it does the fan boards.

Don't blame fan boards for band inactivity. The buck doesn't stop here.

Fine let me adjust my statement, the boards are in constant freak out mode when the band is inactive.  There, sounds about right.

Again....

No one is freaking out. The boards are simply discussing the first tidbit of real news to come along in a coon's age. Not sure how that can be interpreted as freaking out.

Are they freaking out over on HTGTH or something? Only boards I've looked at since this occurred are here and mygnr, and I haven't seen any freaking out.

Rye Rye announced the birth of her daughter last week. I told her congrats and wished her and her baby well. In other words, I "freaked out".

My mom freaked out a few days ago when she called wanting my recipe for miniature pizzas. I freaked out by giving it to her.

See, I freak out in other places besides GNR boards. tongue

I think people are freaking out.  We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

This story isn't a blip on anyone's radar screen except ours at this point.  Yet some people are treating it like the entire world is taking notice and Axl and GNR will be buried by this.  Everyone's mind is made up, they read headlines and think the worst.  But I haven't heard a single person mention this outside of the GNR community. 

Again, people (even you) say all the time how no one outside of the fans own Chinese Democracy or care about GNR these days.  So why would they all of a sudden take notice now?  This is in no way, shape, or form, anywhere close to the Coldplay/Satriani case, or any other plagiarism case I've heard in the past. 

No one was talking about GNR before this week, no one cared, no one has cared for a long time.  But now all of a sudden people are going to take notice and these "ambient sounds" are going to be the death of the band?

We're blowing this up to be bigger than it is, that is all.  I can assure you, the rest of the world could care less.  I told a friend of mine the other day GNR was getting sued.  You know what his response was?  "What, for putting out shitty music?"  I laughed and told him the real reason and all I got was a blank stare and a quick change of subject. 

So yeah, I think some people are overreacting.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I freaked out a bit as it seemed like another thing to de-rail the band. I was hoping these asian shows were going to happen and things would get more active again, and I see problems like this comming up as threatening to the band.

Both due to negative publicity, psychological stress for everyone involved and the amount of time and attention it will take away from what the band might otherwise do.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

This story isn't a blip on anyone's radar screen except ours at this point.

In other late breaking news....

Water is moist.

Yet some people are treating it like the entire world is taking notice and Axl and GNR will be buried by this.

Like I said, I haven't been surfing all the other boards so I have avoided the fact that doomsday is occurring over this incident.

Everyone's mind is made up, they read headlines and think the worst.

This once again shows no one really cares. When you don't care about something, you glance at the headline. You don't read some master thesis on the subject.

Strangely, this is why I thought it MIGHT chart on the bottom end of Itunes. People see the story, check the song for shits and giggles, like it, so they buy it. Doesn't mean they all of a sudden care and are gonna run to Best Buy and purchase 10 cds and 5 LPs. Just means they're willing to throw a buck away on a song. If a deep album cut from Heart's Bad Animals can chart, then just about anything can.

But I haven't heard a single person mention this outside of the GNR community.

And you wont either. Best case scenario would be a few thousand casuals clicking Buy on Itunes and pushing the track into the 95-100 range. Wont happen though because even the band's own hardcore fans don't support them. Fans weren't even willing to support the actual singles, so a non single is certainly a "no go" with fans.

In reality that is hilarious. A band with major name recognition and about 10 fan sites cant even get a few thousand of its fans to put a song on the bottom of that chart.

Again, people (even you) say all the time how no one outside of the fans own Chinese Democracy or care about GNR these days

Of course. Even the band's own fans barely care, so I don't expect anyone else to either.

Only us nerds give a flying fuck.

So why would they all of a sudden take notice now?  This is in no way, shape, or form, anywhere close to the Coldplay/Satriani case, or any other plagiarism case I've heard in the past.

No one is saying it's Coldplay, The Verve,etc. Its simply a current topic and prior examples were referenced.

No one was talking about GNR before this week, no one cared, no one has cared for a long time.  But now all of a sudden people are going to take notice and these "ambient sounds" are going to be the death of the band?

The band doesn't need "ambient sounds" to bring about its death. They are capable of doing that themselves.

If you need an example that doesn't exist in the past, go check the Asian tour dates here:

http://www.gunsnroses.com

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

I can assure you, the rest of the world could care less.

Actually, they couldn't care less.....and you're right.

I told a friend of mine the other day GNR was getting sued.  You know what his response was?  "What, for putting out shitty music?"  I laughed and told him the real reason and all I got was a blank stare and a quick change of subject.

You just described in a nutshell Joe Blow's reaction to new GNR and Chinese Democracy.

LOFTOWNED

16 Wouldn't say he was "Loftowned", but I do like that term. Amazing that I never thought of using it all these years when I was actually owning people left and right. 14

Both due to negative publicity, psychological stress for everyone involved and the amount of time and attention it will take away from what the band might otherwise do.

If something like this derails the tour, the tour was never going to happen in the first place.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Riad N' The Bedouins
I have a swiped sample and they thought they'd win
But I don't give a fuck bout Ulrich
Cause I am crazy

Sampled loops and synth machines
ProTools and DATs
I won't get sued if
you'd just clear them

Ooooohh the frustration
Oooohhhh all the payments
caught in the rights
no one knew was there
thought it was mine
but someone's IP was there
ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

If something like this derails the tour, the tour was never going to happen in the first place.

That might be true of a lot of bands that would ride off the publicity. But i'm not so sure for GNR.

I might be wrong, but I've got the impression a big part of the delays for Chinese Democracy was all the endless legal bullshit the band kept getting into.

I'm not saying it was all outside forces and none of it Axl or whatever, but at a minimum i'd suggest this kind of thing is likely to distract him, and potentially be demotivating or depressing (depending on if he suffers those kinds of issues - I know I personally would find this situation - releasing an album after years then sample clearing shit comming up pretty stressing but that might be just me)

To me, if you have a tour you were pondering, which they clearly at least are given the band is rehersing, and bumble is chattign about potential support acts on facebook/twitter, but hadn't confirmed some of the final details yet - this is the kind of thing that would move it from "why not, could be fun" status to "too hard basket - too much else is going on"

but i hope i'm wrong. I'd love to see the band active and kicking ass in asia!

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

but i hope i'm wrong. I'd love to see the band active and kicking ass in asia!

Well, here's for hoping Axl knows about them and gave the go-ahead in booking them. Right now, it smells of 2001.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I wonder when those Ulrich Schnauss youtube videos get taken down for copyright violation by uzisuicidal. 16

Precious time...
 Rep: 2 

monkeychow wrote:

I freaked out a bit as it seemed like another thing to de-rail the band. I was hoping these asian shows were going to happen and things would get more active again, and I see problems like this comming up as threatening to the band.

I agree; its just another spanner in the works for GNR.

I think this could blow the potential tour and any album release (if there was going to be one!?)

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Precious time... wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I agree; its just another spanner in the works for GNR.

I think this could blow the potential tour and any album release (if there was going to be one!?)

I completely disagree with that.  This incident is completely separate and has absolutely nothing to do with touring or the future of the band.  This lawsuit should in no way effect the bands plans for touring.  Like James said, if the tour doesn't go off, it was never going to in the first place.

IF they were to not tour and use this as an excuse, that would be lame because one has nothing to do with the other.

Board footer