You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Right Way to End a Great Band

Axl should take a lesson from the Gallagher brothers... 

Liam Gallagher Declares Oasis Are Officially “No Longer” 10/9/09,

When Noel Gallagher revealed in August that he was leaving Oasis, fans hoped that the Gallagher brothers would reconcile (yet again) and the band would reconnect. However, two months have passed since the contentious siblings reportedly clashed backstage, and this time it’s Liam Gallagher who is proclaiming that Oasis are officially finished in a new interview with the Times U.K.. “Oasis is no longer. I think we all know that. So that’s done,” Liam said. “Without a doubt. And it’s a shame but that’s life. We had a good run at it.”

Full article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i … no-longer/

I personally feared that Liam Gallagher would try to to continue Oasis without his brother Noel, the band's principal songwriter and background singer.  Thankfully Liam has more sense than that.  He could continue alone as Oasis and make a ton of money Im sure.  But he's taking a risk and going solo.  He's basically going to have to start over his musical career but he's knows it would be a shit move to continue Oasis without his brother. 

Axl should have done the same thing back in 1996 when Slash left Guns n Roses.  Rather than try to continue the band without any of its original members Axl should have said "all great things come to an end" and "that's life" and announced he was planning his own solo album called "Chinese Democracy." 

Instead Axl went a different direction.  And even though he's made (and will continue to make) a lot of money off using the GnR name you still have to wonder if his decision was the right one.  Sure it would have been scary for him to have to start over as a solo artist in 1996 after fronting one of the biggest rock bands in the world, but it would have been a hell of a lot easier than trying to be "Guns n Roses" all by himself. 

My hat's off to Oasis for doing the right thing.  In this era of the "replacement member" it's nice to see a band more worried about their musical legacy than making an easy buck.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

At this point I don't think it would have made much of a difference. He isn't prolific. Period. So what does it really matter what name he uses? I wish he would have had a career like Cornell in the post 93 era, but that was impossible since he takes so long to come up with something to release.

Regardless of what name you use, when you spend 10 years to release one album, you're just not gonna make much of an impact no matter who you are.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well didnt noel write most of the music and lyrics? and liam was the singer for noels songs?

i'm nto an oasis fan by any stretch but thats what i understood to be the game plan for them..anyway its kinda hard to keep a band going when your major song writer bails....hey wait a sec?

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well didnt noel write most of the music and lyrics? and liam was the singer for noels songs?

i'm nto an oasis fan by any stretch but thats what i understood to be the game plan for them..anyway its kinda hard to keep a band going when your major song writer bails....hey wait a sec?

Spot on man. Liam wrote like 8 tunes for Oasis tops over 16 years of albums. Good songs but none the less very few

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:
gnrfan1987-present wrote:

...it's nice to see a band more worried about their musical legacy than making an easy buck.

Based on the numerous line-up changes, independently documented legal hassles and all the OTHER delays in the release, ChiDem can hardly be described as "an easy buck"! 14

Unless that is you live in a weird parallel universe where most people make their living by mining gold nuggets out of granite with their raw and bleeding teeth.... 16

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Oh please, gimmie a break. This isn't "The right way to end a band". It's a cash grab retirement. They'll be apart for 3 years, then get back into rehearsing, in 4 years have they're "Reunited Tour" then in 5 years release a new album. Why even bother breaking up other than promotion. Just like

STP
Creed
Matchbox 20
Offspring

Oh wait, they're all back together again aren't they. So much for their "breaking up"

Oasis: Least beleivable breakup since Ross & Rachel on Friends umpteen times.

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Oh please, gimmie a break. This isn't "The right way to end a band". It's a cash grab retirement. They'll be apart for 3 years, then get back into rehearsing, in 4 years have they're "Reunited Tour" then in 5 years release a new album. Why even bother breaking up other than promotion. Just like

STP
Creed
Matchbox 20
Offspring

Oh wait, they're all back together again aren't they. So much for their "breaking up"

Oasis: Least beleivable breakup since Ross & Rachel on Friends umpteen times.

No offence but Brittish bands are not like American bands. They come up on indie labels. They don't dress their hair up an try create a false image for themselves like STP Creed Matchbox 20 the Offspring. They are not Corporate vehicles to the same extent. Oasis were on an indie label for their biggest hits then created Big Brother records their own label for subsequent releases. They had no financial agenda. THey never once sold out up till the end.

Brittish Rock N' Roll has always been inhabited by honest people putting their music out in an honest way. They have made enough money. They never made a single cash grab in their career. By that thicket they would have just re-written Morning Glory for every subsequent album. On the Contrary . They Experimented hugely with the "shoulders" album complete left turn into a new style of Heathen chemistry once again new more folky territory on Don't Believe the Truth and their last album just defies genre and categorisation.

Oasis were cut from the Same Cloth as The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin. The last great Rock n Roll band of our time. And they will follow the Example of Zeppelin. They had a good run. Now its time to move on.
They were the perfect alternative to those of us who found Grunge Formulaic and Boring. Perfect counter weight to those who found the theatrics and hard man image of "metal" stale and the music tasteless. The Perfect foil for those of us who found Rap  to be lazy and uninspired.

Stones-Zeppelin-The Who-The Smiths-Stone Roses-Oasis

One of the greatest Rock n Roll Bands of the last 20 years. That's "Rock N' Roll" as in the music derived from its roots with Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf and later the bands of the Brittish Invasion.

As apposed to "Rock" which is a made up corporate genre developed in America by 80s Labels who created the Hair Metal scene and tried to make rock n roll cool by mixing it with the more tasteless mundane a-melodic elements of metal

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:

Oasis wrote the Last Chapter in the Book of Rock N' Roll. The buck stops here there is no one left to pass to RIP

Board footer