You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: From sebastianbach.com

James wrote:

Yeah, not sure why forum fans would think Slash is ruined. He's more iconic now than he's ever been, and if he plays his cards right, is ushering himself in to the 'Santana' phase of his career.

Last things this guy will ever need are VR or GNR. He's eclipsed both in the 21st century.

The Fergie put downs are laughable, even though I don't really like her. If Axl got onstage and performed Patience with Mariah Carey, the fan base would be doing cartwheels. I remember when the Pink rumors were floating around ages ago about Total Eclipse of the Heart, people were happy as pigs in shit. Same with Lionel Richie doing Seven and/or Ebony and Ivory.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

For the record, the best song to come off that Gone Country show was the Bobby Brown song.

On topic, I'm one who has never liked Baz or Skid Row.  I can admit the guy has a lot of power/range in his voice, but so does Mariah Carey. 

My opinions aside, I think he's a bad choice for this gig for all the reasons already stated.  Mostly being that I think if Axl wants to get any sort of modern appeal he needs to seperate himself from the 80's as much as possible.  Baz doesn't do that.

I won't go as far as to call him as ass kisser, but he knows all the right lines to tow on the road to keep getting this gig.  Because of that, I think it's a bad idea for Axl because it keeps the (possibly correct) impression that he's hard or impossible to work with/for. 

A pretty good percentage of bands that have toured with Axl had some not nice things to say afterwards.  Or during in FNM's case.

TSI
 Rep: 2 

TSI wrote:

Random Fact: "Total Eclipse of the Heart" was taken from "Tanz der Vampires" It originally featured Steve Barton in Austria, It's on utube and was written by the same guy who does Meatloaf's songs...It's very dark.

And I believe Slash is not as much of an Icon as a relic, He hasn't progressed from his GNR days,same tired blues riffs, same leather pants and stupid little hat. I don't believe anything he says-rather than being direct he is passive-aggressive. American Idol, Fergie,
and numerous talk shows have ruined any respect I may have held for him. He is all about $$$$$$.

True Bas is a bit hyperactive, and he irritates some, He is talented
He loves doing PR, and he is a damn good choice for an opening act, they could have done much, much worse! And he can wail, as well as get along with Axl, so it's all good to me.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
TSI wrote:

And I believe Slash is not as much of an Icon as a relic, He hasn't progressed from his GNR days,same tired blues riffs, same leather pants and stupid little hat.

Funny thing about the blues, it's pretty timeless.  If he'd been playing like everybody else in 1987, he'd be where most of them are right now. 

Instead he plays a style that's been around forever, and is the building blocks of what most rock n roll is based on and you can bend to fit pretty much anything. 

I can't defend leather pants, but the hat looks cool, and at this point, for better or worse, more people probably think Slash than Abe Lincoln when they see a top hat.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah, not sure why forum fans would think Slash is ruined. He's more iconic now than he's ever been, and if he plays his cards right, is ushering himself in to the 'Santana' phase of his career.

Last things this guy will ever need are VR or GNR. He's eclipsed both in the 21st century.

The Fergie put downs are laughable, even though I don't really like her. If Axl got onstage and performed Patience with Mariah Carey, the fan base would be doing cartwheels. I remember when the Pink rumors were floating around ages ago about Total Eclipse of the Heart, people were happy as pigs in shit. Same with Lionel Richie doing Seven and/or Ebony and Ivory.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Fergie.  I could definetely do without that chick from the Pussycat Dolls.  I don't know her, I don't want to know her, at least in the music industry.  She's more than fine to look at, but that's about it on my end.  Slash just loves to play and he doesn't seem to ever have said no to playing with anyone in his life.  So obviously some of the performances aren't going to sit well with me, or other fans.  I like Pink, so I wouldn't mind Axl OR Slash doing something with her.  But if Axl does a duet with that Pussycat Doll, I would NOT be excited about that.  Mark it down.  Lionel Richie is cool, bring him on.  Hell bring in Nicole Richie while you're at it.  Mariah Carey I wouldn't approve of either.  Maybe 18 years ago, but she's just trashy now.

Slash may be appealing to a wider audience now, but there is a faction of GNR fans that he's rubbed the wrong way and they don't care for him like they used to.

My whole "problem" with the Baz bashers is I just don't see why it's such a big deal WHO the opener is.  What does it really matter in the grand scheme of things.  If I'm going to see GNR, I could care less who's opening.  That goes for most bands I've gone to see live.  If the opening act is someone worth seeing, than it's a bonus but I could honestly care less.  The only openers I've ever seen have been at Def Leppard shows.  I didn't see Ki Mani Marley or whatever the hell his name is open for VH.  I only caught a couple songs from The Black Crowes when they opened for Tom Petty, and I like a few of their songs.  Ted Leo and the Pharmicists opened for Pearl Jam.  Yeah, no thanks.  I just don't get the fascination with the supporting bands.  Hell, I'm sticking up for Baz and I didn't even go see him as the opening act for GNR at MSG.  I wouldn't have minded but I chose to drink at a bar for cheaper rather than go into the arena and pay an arm and a leg for beers for 5 hours.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Most of those people are looking for him in Axl's ass while they're in there.  I don't know how you can knock him for playing with anybody.  I mean, if we're going to support Axl doing what he's doing because it makes him happy, how can you not be happy for Slash for doing what makes him happy?

faldor

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Most of those people are looking for him in Axl's ass while they're in there.  I don't know how you can knock him for playing with anybody.  I mean, if we're going to support Axl doing what he's doing because it makes him happy, how can you not be happy for Slash for doing what makes him happy?

Yeah I mean, I may not approve of everyone Slash plays with, everything he says, everything he does.  But who the hell am I?  He's not doing those things for me or anyone else, but himself.  That's why I don't take any of these things too personal.  I wish the original lineup never broke up, I never got to see them in person.  But it happened and they went through so much together that the wounds run deep in some areas.  It's too bad, but that's the way it is.  When VR formed I was pumped because I got to hear some great music from some ex Gunners and there was still the hope that Axl would get things going with GNR.  I looked at it as, I'd have 2 kickass bands to be a fan of instead of 1.  Unfortunately both bands have hit some bumpy roads since then, but there's no reason WE, as GNR fans, can't sit back and enjoy anything and everything GNR related.

With that being said, I can't say that I'm overly excited about Slash's solo album.  I'd say more intrigued, but I just don't know what to expect from solo Slash.  I'll find out eventually I guess.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I'm hoping that Baz on tour means they'll replace michelle with Sorry..i'd love to hear baz turned up a bit in the mix on that tune cuz from what i can hear on the album is pretty killer 9

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

As far as I'm concerned he can play with who he wants.  If the artist he's playing with interests me I'll listen.  If not I'll ignore.  My problem with Slash is in other places.  But I do not hate Slash.  I think he is talented like few are.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I'm hoping that Baz on tour means they'll replace michelle with Sorry..i'd love to hear baz turned up a bit in the mix on that tune cuz from what i can hear on the album is pretty killer 9

I agree, I think he adds a nice touch to the song.  And I wouldn't mind seeing "My Michelle" exit the setlist, at least as a primary song.  Have "Sorry" be the constant Baz collaboration.

I know this'll probably get a big fat NO!  But what about Baz doing Shannon Hoon's backing vocals on "Don't Cry"?

Board footer