You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: From sebastianbach.com

Axlin16 wrote:

I've never understood how suicide can be perceived as cowardly. In Cobain's case, yes he was leaving behind a daughter, which is pretty low, but the man did what he felt he needed to do. It's solely the biggest decision we can ever face in this life - whether or not to voluntarily end it.

Personally i'd rather have a dead father, than a father that drags on for 30 years not giving a fuck about me or himself. jmho

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

at some point for a few, it becomes easier to take your own life than to deal with all the bullshit that one may have going on in their life.... for y else would one do such a thing? it is human nature to live at all costs. i do not, however, pass judgement on people that have taken their own lives for I have not lived their life and cannot comprehend how unhappy they may have been. I am not god and it is not my life to define.

my friend committed suicide a couple years ago and i felt the same way then.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Touching post. Completely agree.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

No one has actually addressed how it ISN'T cowardly. Clearly, whatever problems he was dealing with seemed insurmountable at the time, and he chose to puss out on them. If those aren't the actions of a coward, I'm sorry, I don't know what is. Doesn't take away from his accomplishments or speak the character of his entire life, but let's be real here.

Unless you're sacrificing yourself for a greater cause (and don't give me that sad anti-commercialization argument bullshit), then it's pretty much the most cowardly thing you can do.

Sadder still is how a talented musician such as Kurt came to be deified afterwards. He was good, but not the transformative musical messiah that hot topic pretends his is.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I agree that suicide is a cowardly way out. It's a way for people to not have to deal with their own personal shit whatever it is. It's a selfish act, it's a stupid act and it's cowardly. That's my opinion on it and I respect differing opiniuons on this. fact is NONE of us here can say how it feels to commit suicide cause none of us has done it.  Well I don't knwo that for a fact, maybe some have tried but if you tried and didn't get it done you didn't try very hard and it seems more of a cry for help than an actual attempt. I don't know. Touchy subject for sure but from the outside looking in suicide is for people who think life is too hard.  That's kind of pussing out in my opinion.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well i think that you need to understand a bit about the man before you just say he offed himself because he was a coward...Nirvana was one of the biggest bands in the World at the time, why on earth would someone at the top of his game off himself?

well there is always the theory of murder, then there is the depression that Kurt saw himself become exactly what he dispised, there is the chronic stomach pain that he was always in which he never could get diagnosed (which also ate at him), there is the heroin addiction that he couldnt shake, there is the fascniation with other artists who had died at 27 (Janis, Morrison, Hendrix), there was his daughter who maybe he felt bad for having a junkie father, he had entereed rehab a few times and was unsuccessful at kicking it

he obviously wasnt in a fit state of mind in any case, i dont think that suicide is cowardly, but more of a line of thinking from a very fucked up perspective

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think people overanalyze it.

Some people just are done. I don't know how to describe it. They just lose the will to live. The spark ain't there. They've checked out. Some do it at 16, some do it at 60.

I ain't in there shoes. But it isn't cowardly at all. Sometimes the only way to deal with your problems is with a fuckin' bullet or blade.

But if you murder every mother fucker out there that's fuckin' your life up... your a murderer.

You commit suicide... you're a coward.

You put up with their bullshit... you're a pussy.

You can't win.

At the end of the day, you need to do what you feel is best. Normally I would say, you're very depressed and need help, and in most cases - that's true - but i've seen some where life was peachy for people, and they just had no interest... at all.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Personally I think it's harder to live and stay alive facing everyday problems in life than to kill yourself, so I do think the act is rather cowardly.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

imagine being in soo much pain that you had to be high on herion to not feel it, but at the same time you hated your habit and couldnt deal with that either

i'm jsut sayin that until you walk in the shoes you cant possibly understand the mindset...its easy to sit back and say that was pretty weak, but your view may change if you had to live through it

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

imagine being in soo much pain that you had to be high on herion to not feel it, but at the same time you hated your habit and couldnt deal with that either

i'm jsut sayin that until you walk in the shoes you cant possibly understand the mindset...its easy to sit back and say that was pretty weak, but your view may change if you had to live through it

I can honestly say 100% that my view would never change on that.  suicide isn't in my blood. I don't have that in my personality. It's something that doesn't make sense to me. Knowing myself pretty well I don't believe there's any circumstances in life where I would willingly pack it in. Its just not in me to quit like that.

As for it being cowardly I think it is cause your'e bailing  not only onyourself but on family and friends. People who need you. I worked with a guy who just recently killed himself. he came to work on Friday. We all sat around in the morning shooting the shit and stuff like we alway do. Then my crew went to work and his crew went to their job site. He never went home after work. He simply rove to saskatchewan without telling anyone where he was going and shot himself in some abandon barn. He bailed out on his wife and two little daughters. Whatever issues he had going in life I personally think it was a cowardly act to bail on his family that way.   Again though you're right Neemo. We can never know unless we're in those shoes. We can have our opinions on the topic though.  With this topic though it can definately be touchy

Board footer