You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Who's ready for black friday?

DCK wrote:

You're all a sick bunch of bastards.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I worked retail for about 6 years.  You know what's awesome ever since...? 

I like Christmas again.  Forty hours or more of Christmas music a week, decoration going up on Labor day, Black Friday and other bullshit.  I hated it that entire time.

I have to work, but Black Friday won't affect me.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I'm curious why is it called Black Friday.   I have always know black Friday to have been another term used for Good Friday at Easter time - the day Christ was supposed to have been crucified.

How did it become associated with Thanksgiving or the shopping day after it?

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I'm curious why is it called Black Friday.   I have always know black Friday to have been another term used for Good Friday at Easter time - the day Christ was supposed to have been crucified.

How did it become associated with Thanksgiving or the shopping day after it?

Supposedly it's the day that enough is sold for businesses to turn a profit.  Going from "in the red" to "in the black".

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I went with my Dad many years ago, probably over 10... to get some TV for $60 bucks at a Wal-Mart Black Friday. We went later in the morning at like 9am, and I only went because I thought "whatever, i've never been to one", and I went...

It was an absurd zoo. I was in and out within minutes, before I myself wanted to just start swinging on all the fuckin' jackasses in there. I told my Dad later on, that there isn't ANYTHING at Black Friday worth that zoo of people. Free pussy with supermodels wouldn't get me back into another Black Friday.

I'll actually pay the higher prices to AVOID Black Friday.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

And I'm up.  Its definitely a weird experience having your alarm go off at 2 am.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I went with my Dad many years ago, probably over 10... to get some TV for $60 bucks at a Wal-Mart Black Friday. We went later in the morning at like 9am, and I only went because I thought "whatever, i've never been to one", and I went...

It was an absurd zoo. I was in and out within minutes, before I myself wanted to just start swinging on all the fuckin' jackasses in there. I told my Dad later on, that there isn't ANYTHING at Black Friday worth that zoo of people. Free pussy with supermodels wouldn't get me back into another Black Friday.

My brother was telling me about last year when he went to Wal Mart for Black Friday.  He actually woke up at 1am in the morning just to get in line.  Apparently, he and his girlfriend still had to deal with a long line.  When they got inside, there were a lot of rude people there and it was generally a tiring experience.  After hearing that, I never want to go to a black friday .  I've already made a few orders online from the comfort of my home.

What is the appeal here on Black Friday?  The prices aren't significantly better enough to have to deal with the foot traffic, crappy weather, and the worst in humanity.  Aren't most of the items bought on BF non essential items like bluray players, hdtvs etc?  Is it ingrained into the American psyche?  Because it certain isn't a social bonding event like the Super Bowl.

For the evo members braving the crowds on BF, good luck and have a little patience.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

My brother was telling me about last year when he went to Wal Mart for Black Friday.  He actually woke up at 1am in the morning just to get in line.  Apparently, he and his girlfriend still had to deal with a long line.  When they got inside, there were a lot of rude people there and it was generally a tiring experience.  After hearing that, I never want to go to a black friday .  I've already made a few orders online from the comfort of my home.

What is the appeal here on Black Friday?  The prices aren't significantly better enough to have to deal with the foot traffic, crappy weather, and the worst in humanity.  Aren't most of the items bought on BF non essential items like bluray players, hdtvs etc?  Is it ingrained into the American psyche?  Because it certain isn't a social bonding event like the Super Bowl.

For the evo members braving the crowds on BF, good luck and have a little patience.

Many years ago, the prices were unbeatable. Especially at places like Wal-Mart. I remember stories of $300 laptops, $20 brand-new video games, and $2 DVD's. Hell there was one store that wanted to get rid of VHS's, and they were like a quarter each. T-shirts for $3, hats for $5, etc. Whatever you can think of, was mega-cheap.

Now, the deals are NOTHING like they used to be. Things have changed. Amazon.com a couple years ago launched a price war with WM to offer Black Friday prices on the net for one day-only, at the comfort of your computer in order to avoid the zoo. Not sure how good their prices are this year, but...

Wal-Mart's deals aren't deals at all anymore. The laptops can be found for about the same price, the Blu-Ray's being discounted to $10, are $10 everyday anyways, and the only video games they put on sale is crap people bought two fuckin' years ago.

Maybe it's ritual with these people, have no clue, but it sure as shit ain't the prices. There's better prices all over the places, mainly on the 'net.

What I want is a Black Friday sale on FOOD. Like Doritos for a quarter, and a truck full of Starbucks Double-Shots for $10.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer