You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Whazup
 Rep: 6 

Re: Great GNR moments

Whazup wrote:

What are your favorite moments from GNR??

Mine is this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7ZC0dOnAA

I wish there was a better quality version of it sad  its soo good

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Ritz '88
Rio II '91, both nights
Perfect Crime, Jungle & Rocket Queen, St. Louis '91
Epic Rant & Live and Let Die, Chicago '92
Paradise City & KOHD, Freddie Mercury Tribute '92
Paradise City, Paris '92
Jungle, Argentina '92
Paradise City, Argentina '93 (final show)

Jungle & Paradise City, Rio III (the return & close)
Madagascar, VMA's 2002
Jungle, Rock Am Ring 2006

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Ritz '88
Rio II '91, both nights
Perfect Crime, Jungle & Rocket Queen, St. Louis '91
Epic Rant & Live and Let Die, Chicago '92
Paradise City & KOHD, Freddie Mercury Tribute '92
Paradise City, Paris '92
Jungle, Argentina '92
Paradise City, Argentina '93 (final show)

Jungle & Paradise City, Rio III (the return & close)
Madagascar, VMA's 2002
Jungle, Rock Am Ring 2006

Good call with the Madagascar performance at the VMA's.  While that perfromance as a whole wasn't the most stellar, it is quite memorable for us fans.  And I thought Maddy sounded great.  It truly got me excited for the upcoming album (that was still 6 years away).  And it's not even one of my faves off CD, but I do love that performance.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That performance made me fall in love with the song. Still in my Top-5 off of CD, and frankly, since 2002, a soundtrack to alot of my life.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

farm aid.....instead of playing a popular song they play a new, unheard song Civil War....then, to top it off they play a punk, anti farm song at Farm Aid. Hands down Gnr's ballsiest moment. 9

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

My favourite moments are:

* Original Line up: Ritz 88
* UYI Era: You Could be Mine - Terminator 2 Video.
* Slash: Godfather theme and shred at Tokyo.
* Axl: Hair of the Dog live with parts of GNR/Metallica.

Modern Era: Eddie trunk interview and the buzz of Hammerstein shows.

Very much thinking that DJ will bring some new great moments to the band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

farm aid.....instead of playing a popular song they play a new, unheard song Civil War....then, to top it off they play a punk, anti farm song at Farm Aid. Hands down Gnr's ballsiest moment. 9

Hate to copy a post of mine, but gonna post the same response I did in the previous one....although that thread is 'great Axl moments'.

Same here.

Who else in 1990 but Axl Rose can walk onstage at an event like that and play 2 unknown songs?

The band also never looked any cooler.

In hindsight, the original line up could not have picked a better final performance.

Other highlights...

Entire concert I saw in Mountain View in 91 before Izzy bailed. Just an epic show. Cool moment was when Axl grabbed a joint from the crowd and started smoking it during Civil War.

Was also one of the few shows Izzy sang DTJ. They also did a slight reggae jam during Civil War. Still not sure if this was an accident as we know they do it during KOHD.

Slash also played most of Voodoo Child.

The boot that surfaced years later was cut to shit. I hate hoarders, especially those of live boots.

Axl at the 89 VMA's was one of my all time favorite moments.

The Axl/Bruce rendition of Come Together was insanely cool and is shocking its his only performance in the 90s post UYI tour and when he disappeared for a few years. Guy had balls. Walked up to Bruce asking him to do it. A total impromptu jam that wasn't rehearsed.

The Loder interview he did on MTV where he mentioned Coma was great. Guy is a great interview when he lacks yes men and agendas.

I also liked how he was a constant supporter of Izzy. Izzy was low key, and Axl made sure to frequently rave on his status/position in the band.

I just loved his attitude back in those days. minus the lame rants. Like Izzy said in 1991, "We could blow any band off the stage, and we knew it". I think Axl fed off this and played a role in those out of this world performances.

That Albany rant is disgusting. Was in no shape to tour, and the tour imploded days after that rant. Not a coincidence.

Soundgarden supposedly took a heavy load of shit from their peers for opening for GN'R on some of the UYI tour.

While true, Axl loved Soundgarden and I think that helped get them to the big time. It exposed quite a few people to that band, although I was already listening to them at that point. In fact, Axl if you read this, thanks for mentioning Soundgarden in those 1989 interviews and saying how amazing Cornell was. Played a big role in me diving into the band's discog at the time.

That Ritz show is just off the hook. Axl in a meth/coke fueled zone and no one will ever top his intensity on stage 87-91.

-------

Also add Madagascar at Rio 2001 to my list. One of the high points in the band's history.

Rio 91 kicked major ass as well.

Any performance of Dizzy performing Dust N Bones is a highlight as well.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Off the top of my head for the newer era of Guns is the performance of Maddy in Budapest when he changed up the melody of the ending vocals of the song.. Gave it such a little but great twist to the song.

Board footer